Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
April 16, 2021, 09:32:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: How to determine the size Engine and prop for peanut FF  (Read 185 times)
rickhall
Nickel Member

Kudos: 0

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: March 30, 2021, 10:24:52 PM »

Hello all

I am brand new at this hobby and a little discourage by not all peanut or FF plans give a suggested or recommended Rubber engine or prop size or recomended # of turns for the prop / engine while flying.

Thanks for helpin' a newb!
TimWescott
Platinum Member

Kudos: 18

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2021, 12:51:43 PM »

I'd start with a single loop of 1/16", but have 3/32" on hand.  The rule of thumb for props is to make their diameter between 1/4 and 1/3 of the wingspan.  If you can get your hands on the Peck Polymer 4 1/2" prop, that's a good start, if a bit large-ish.

Smaller motors and props lead to more stable flight -- especially because they're short flights, and nothing's more stable than a plane sitting on the ground!
Bredehoft
Platinum Member

Kudos: 56

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2021, 02:00:55 PM »

every model is different.  it would be helpful to know what you are building and what the weight is ready to fly without rubber. 

--george

Pit
Palladium Member

Kudos: 132

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2021, 05:58:58 AM »

I'm a relative "amateur" with Peanuts, but the 15 or so that I've built ALL fly indoors with 3/32 Super Sport and weigh between 10 and 14 grams.  Prop size is generally 5" with only one at 4-3/4 and are mostly hand carved.  If you plan on flying outdoors, you might need to go up a bit on the rubber size.

A Dedicated Convert to:
WWWoFF (Wonderfull Wacky World of Free Flight)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
Crabby
Titanium Member

Kudos: 141

I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2021, 09:42:32 AM »

Good am Rick Hall!
You are in the right place for answers to questions like that, even if we are a lot of absent-minded professors who got bullied for lunch money and who have all done the baking soda and vinegar volcano for a science project. Later in life we are the ones who got the jobs and chicks. I mostly speak for myself with regrets to the rest. There is no teacher like experience though. If you can't explain your success, it was luck. I'll take it any day its a sure thing.... if you put in the sweat that is! So far I can't add anything to what has already been said. Sermon concluded.

The Threadkiller!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: