Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 07, 2021, 01:48:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Looking for Single edge razor blades (US)  (Read 749 times)
Dan Snow
Gold Member

Kudos: 33

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: April 03, 2021, 06:34:38 AM »

Looking for recommendations for a good brand of single edge razor blades. The ones they sell at Lowes are crap!

Thanks.

"Curse you Red Baron!!"  - Snoopy
NormF
Gold Member

Kudos: 13

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2021, 10:52:20 AM »

Been happy with this blade, but it has been several years since I purchased them. Hopefully quality has stayed the same. Note the specifications and model number, they make several types. https://www.amazon.com/American-Safety-Razor-66-0089-Single/dp/B000KKMY5O/ref=sr_1_4?crid=2578J5Y2S0O3&dchild=1&keywords=american+razor+blades&qid=1617460931&sprefix=American+razor%2Caps%2C221&sr=8-4

If you purchase these, please report back, happy or not!

Norm
TimWescott
Platinum Member

Kudos: 18

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2021, 02:30:09 PM »

I read your post and some things came to mind:

• Machinists are among the fussiest people in the world about their tools (rightfully so)
  • McMaster-Carr caters to machinists
  • Machinists would have uses for razor blades

So I looked on the McMaster site.  OMG.  Yes.  They don't just have single-edged razor blades, they have four categories of different single-edged razor blades that you can select.  Plain ol', precision edge, heavy duty, cleaned and degreased -- with choices inside each category.

Being McMaster-Carr, these are overpriced for what you're getting, and you won't find out the brand until it shows up, if ever.  OTOH, being McMaster-Carr, the purchase will be no fuss, and they have them in stock (at least, I've never ordered from them and had stuff put on back-order).

Normally, if McMaster has it, there's a good chance that MSC Direct has it for less -- in this case, it looks like MSC has them for about the same price -- but the nice thing about MSC is that they actually tell you what brand you're getting.

Basically, if it involves tools that you'd find in a machine shop or a factory maintenance shop (itty bitty drills, blades, etc.) I've just gone over to buying from places like these guys, because the quality is just higher than no-name Amazon sources.
Dan Snow
Gold Member

Kudos: 33

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2021, 05:25:19 PM »

After much searching, and a few wasted dollars, I have found a brand of razor blades that is inexpensive but sharp enough to trim an entire set 9f biplane wings!!
The are called Rexbeti, and I found n d them on Amazon for $8.99 for a box off 100.

"Curse you Red Baron!!"  - Snoopy
faif2d
Platinum Member

Kudos: 32

Sun came up I was here to see it = good day

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2021, 07:39:44 PM »

thanks for the report.

I used to like painting with dope but now I can't remember why!    Steve Fauble
lincoln
Titanium Member

Kudos: 38

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2021, 12:08:36 AM »

Does anyone make blue blade single edge razors, or are they all stainless?
RolandD6
Gold Member

Kudos: 24

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2021, 04:55:49 AM »

Carbon steel single edge blades are available in Australia so they are made. Try a local laboratory consumables supplier.

I got my supplies years ago from an Australian supplier (Proscitech) and they are still available. Using an iPad at this moment and I have yet to figure out how to add a link to a post.

Paul
TimWescott
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2021, 04:01:46 PM »

Does anyone make blue blade single edge razors, or are they all stainless?

Um, I did just rant about this.  McMaster doesn't say they're blue, but they do say "steel", and if McMaster says "steel" they don't mean stainless.

https://www.mcmaster.com/razor-blades/razor-blades-6/blade-material~steel/?SrchEntryWebPart_InpBox=razor+blade

A quick web search coughed up a number of possibilities, including this one (randomly chosen -- these people could be laundering drug money for all I know, or worse, belong to the opposite political party from me).  https://www.westcoastshaving.com/products/gem-blue-star-super-single-edge-razor-blades-10-pak
dephela
Silver Member

Kudos: 2

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2021, 05:32:18 PM »

My last purchase of blades was for a box of 100 single edge, .012" thick and they have rusted a bit. I forget where I picked them up but I know who made them and they continue to sell double and single blades as well as Exacto and other blades.

Check out: Pincover Industrial Supply
4730 Broadway
NY, NY 10040
212-926-1019

https://www.pincoverindustrial.com/

Dennis
TimWescott
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2021, 09:32:47 PM »

I know this is a modeling group, but y'all are making me want to chuck my store-bought plastic "Triple Edge Razor for the Smoothest Shave Woo Hoo", buy a single-edge or double-edge razor and a stack of blades.

It's like the older and crankier I get, the more my birth date wants to move backward in time.
iflyhlg
Silver Member

Kudos: 3

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2021, 10:11:36 PM »

When I got some American line extra keen blades they were blue. They were sharper than the others I have used but they did seem to loose their edge a little quicker. Here is the link to Amazon for them.  https://www.amazon.com/American-Safety-Razor-66-0362-100-Pack/dp/B0035ER2AO?ref_=ast_sto_dp
Bruce
dosco
Platinum Member

Kudos: 17

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2021, 10:34:10 AM »

I know this is a modeling group, but y'all are making me want to chuck my store-bought plastic "Triple Edge Razor for the Smoothest Shave Woo Hoo", buy a single-edge or double-edge razor and a stack of blades.

It's like the older and crankier I get, the more my birth date wants to move backward in time.

Haha. I seem to be getting cranky as I age as well.

I made the switch from silly-expensive-spaceship cartridges many moons ago. I've basically settled on a late 60s Gillette Slim (adjustable) and I bought a box of 100 Personna Med Prep DE blades (I think that box of blades was maybe $15). Funny thing with the COVID pandemic is that I barely shave now, lol.

I would love to try a quality carbon steel DE blade ... with that said there are some ridiculously awesome stainless DE blades being made these days. The Japanese Feather blades, for example,  are preposterously sharp.

Do you frequent any of the wetshaving BBs?

Best-
Dave
Rubber-guy
Nickel Member

Kudos: 0

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2021, 03:26:27 AM »

I bought a box of 50 at Lowe's Home Improvement last week.
stupid
Gold Member

Kudos: 12

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2021, 07:18:31 PM »

I ran across an article sourcing model supplies in    indoor news and views by Jeff hood  SOURCES FOR SUPPLIES (AND OTHER STUFF…)
  on page 10      2008  still a real interesting article on a variety of modeling supplies that he critiques
https://indoornewsandviews.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/inav-123.pdf

Razor Blades
Many sources for these also. But I really like Electron Microscopy Sciences, as they have the best carbon steel single edge blades I have found, at $12.50 for a box of 100. They have many different type of razor blades, including the elusive carbon steel double edge blades that you break in half, then to a point. And as many of the online suppliers, they have all kinds of other stuff that can come in very useful.

here's the website. And I found it interesting that you can get single edge or double edge carbon steel blades.
https://www.emsdiasum.com/microscopy/products/preparation/blades.aspx#72002

C. Single Edge, Carbon Steel
Regular type, .009" thick, 1½" x ¾" size, packed 100 blades in a drawer box.

Feather Double Edge Bladearrow11G. Double Edge Razor Blades FEATHER® Brand
Made from carbon steel. Feather® blades are well known to have super sharp edges. Easily breaks in half for use
Measurements: Width: 21.95 mm (0.865") x Length: 42.96 mm (1.69")
Thickness: 0.10 mm (0.004")

Bob

"If it looks stupid, and it works..... It's not so stupid."
dosco
Platinum Member

Kudos: 17

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2021, 08:15:15 AM »

Bob:
Thanks for posting the URL to the EMS website. Fascinating!

Interesting to see Feather brand double edge blades ... the EMS site says they're carbon steel. I may have to order a small batch to check them out. I'm familiar with Feather DE blades for shaving. They're incredibly sharp blades. They were stainless, though. I did a quick walk through the Feather website, whcih I'd never done before. Also quote interesting. In their "industrial products" section they do list some carbon steel blades (but they don't appear to be DE blades).

Also on the EMS website are Personna Med Prep DE blades. I have a box of those blades ... they're stainless and therefore can't be "snapped in half" (old school). They can be mounted to sticks and plastic handle-things, so one could fashion a DE into a tissue-cutting device.

Best-
Dave
GeoffinIN
Gold Member

Kudos: 5

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2021, 08:25:20 AM »

I've got a box of cheap junk Harbor Freight blades, an Arkansas stone and a leather strop.  I've had the same box of blades for years, but make good use of the stone and strop.  So long as it's carbon steel you can get the blade SHARP!!!  Put the blade in a paint scraper handle for sharpening.

Geoff
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: