Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
May 08, 2021, 02:36:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Dollar tree tissue experiments  (Read 104 times)
Knightflyer
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: May 03, 2021, 05:36:30 PM »

So, while waiting for good tissue paper to arrive from EZ Built Models, I spent a buck on some domestic tissue at DollarTree. I built a frame, and started fussing with it.

The tissue is relatively heavy, comes to about 18g per square meter. To get that figure, I removed the wrapping, and weighed the whole lot. The packaging gave the square meters, so I could calculate from there.

The tissue is pretty strong, and doesn't seem to bleed. I have only subjected it to water and water based adhesives however. I don't have any airplane dope on hand. It doesn't really seem to have a grain, and tears straight in either direction. I have only experimented on Yellow so far.

My frame was made of fairly hard 1/8" balsa. My initial test was just the square frame with 1 diagonal brace. I used Elmer's Clear to attach the tissue, thinned 1:1 with water. The result was pretty good but even after water shrinking there were corner wrinkles. More concerning was that the frame came apart. I used Titebond III, and I think I may have microwaved it to speed up the glue setting. This used to work fine for original Titebond; this new version, not so much.
Knightflyer
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2021, 05:45:34 PM »

Pictures
1st is original frame & Elmer's.
2nd is with a coating of Polycrylic.
Frame 2.706
Frame+Tissue+1 coat thinned Poly 3.270
So tissue and poly added .564g.
Tissue .330g
Poly .234

The frame measures 125mm x 125mm; the inside tissue area is 120x120.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Dollar tree tissue experiments
skyraider
Platinum Member

Kudos: 93

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2021, 05:58:18 PM »

How about pre-shrinking first and then attach to your test frame. Take into account
too that your test frame is unlike a structure say like a rudder that has shorter support
strips with less give area. Also, can you see any grain direction?

Skyraider
Knightflyer
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2021, 07:33:59 PM »

Yes, I think I will give preshrunk a try too. Here's a pic of the tissue with light shining through.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: