Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 19, 2021, 12:41:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Where might one find the rules for ........  (Read 293 times)
Dan Snow
Gold Member

Kudos: 33

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: May 05, 2021, 08:45:38 AM »

Hi folks, as I slowly work my way into rubber powered free flight, I find myself wondering about the plethora of classes I see mentioned. Classes like Embryo, Boston, Peanut, Walnut, pistachio, etc., etc.

Is there someplace where I can find and read or print out the actual rules for the various classes?

Much Obliged! Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

"Curse you Red Baron!!"  - Snoopy
Bredehoft
Platinum Member

Kudos: 57

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2021, 09:35:59 AM »

The Flying Aces Club manages the rules for their events (and the FAC is the only organization working with Scale in the US, currently).  However, some of the events you mention are not "real" categories/events (unless they are localized).

Bostonian is a non-scale AMA Indoor event.  https://www.modelaircraft.org/sites/default/files/IndoorFreeFlight2017-2018.pdf

Embryo and Peanut are FAC Events.  http://www.flyingacesclub.com/RULES/CURRENTFACRULES.pdf

Peanut is a 13" max span scale model and Embryo is a non-scale event with volume and wing area restrictions.

Walnut and Pistachio are not "real" in there are no official rules by any major organization in the US for these (feel free to "correct" me).  "Walnut" implies models larger than Peanut and Pistachio was once promoted by MIAMA as a 9" max wingspan scale.

--george

USch
Platinum Member

Kudos: 36

Italy Italy

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2021, 10:15:17 AM »

For the officially recognised FAI (Federation Aeronautic International) categories go to
https://www.fai.org/page/ciam-code

open the "Sporting Code-Section 4-Aeromodelling" and download for any free-flight class
Sporting Code Section 4_CIAM_F1_freeflight_21.pdf

or the scale classes
Sporting Code Section 4_CIAM_F4_scale_21.pdf

Urs

Fast up-Slow down
lincoln
Titanium Member

Kudos: 38

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2021, 08:15:42 PM »

I seem to recall the span limit on pistachios was usually 8 inches. DoD Miami have something different?

If memory serves, "Miami" peanuts could have longer than the nominal 13 inch span if the length was less than 9 inches.Did they have a similar rule for pistachios of less than 5.54 inch length?   ;-)
SP250
Gold Member

Kudos: 13

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2021, 03:22:42 AM »

Dan

Just to confuse you even more, the UK scale rulebook is here:-

https://britishmfa.sharepoint.com/sites/public/Rule%20Books/Forms/AllItems.aspx?originalPath=aHR0cHM6Ly9icml0aXNobWZhLnNoYXJlcG9pbnQuY29tLzpmOi9zL3B1YmxpYy9FdmdWaGNyRFBaNUttS2hPQnpjdjk3VUJfaFlEdy1sbkxkQzBuVGhOLXVMMlhBP3J0aW1lPVpEaUg1RjRRMlVn&id=%2Fsites%2Fpublic%2FRule%20Books%2FRule%20Books%2F2021%20BMFA%20Scale%20Contest%20Rules%2Epdf&parent=%2Fsites%2Fpublic%2FRule%20Books%2FRule%20Books

But it covers RC, Control Line and indoor and outdoor FF as well - but its all in there.
Peanut and Pistachio are derived from the US categories in the 70's.
However, over here most categories are judged differently from in the US - basically the quality of flight is considered over a short duration, whereas over there pure duration seems to be the thing.

HTH John M
Dan Snow
Gold Member

Kudos: 33

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2021, 06:32:44 AM »

Thanks folks, I'll check out some of the links.  Not sure what I'll do with them since rubber free flight is dang near extinct here around Sacramento except for P30 and such events held 4-5 times a year. I've gone out to a couple of their events and with one or two exceptions, haven't found the participants to be all that welcoming. No scale events at all, and no indoor anywhere that I have been able to find. I looked into the costs to get access to a local high school gym for a few hours, and that might be why there isn't any indoor activity in the area! Yikes!

SP250, sorry but your link didn't work, it wanted me to sign in to a British microsoft or some such account.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 06:47:17 AM by Dan Snow » Logged

"Curse you Red Baron!!"  - Snoopy
Bredehoft
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2021, 08:28:53 AM »

I seem to recall the span limit on pistachios was usually 8 inches. DoD Miami have something different?

If memory serves, "Miami" peanuts could have longer than the nominal 13 inch span if the length was less than 9 inches.Did they have a similar rule for pistachios of less than 5.54 inch length?   ;-)

You're probably right about the 8" size.

It is MIAMA - derived, of course from Miami, but is Miami Indoor Aircraft Model Association, founded by Doc Martin.

My point was, there are no National rules in the US for Pistachio or Walnut (but there may be local club rules).

--george

Bredehoft
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2021, 08:35:54 AM »

Not sure what I'll do with them since rubber free flight is dang near extinct here around Sacramento except for P30 and such events held 4-5 times a year. I've gone out to a couple of their events and with one or two exceptions, haven't found the participants to be all that welcoming. No scale events at all, and no indoor anywhere that I have been able to find. I looked into the costs to get access to a local high school gym for a few hours, and that might be why there isn't any indoor activity in the area! Yikes!

Don't give up just yet.

Take a look at the the FAC Squadrons Page:  http://flyingacesclub.com/ASquad/Squadron_Map.htm

Notice #12 is the "Marin Aero Club".  Click on that #12 circle (or any other you may please) and you can fill out a form that will send an email will be sent to the local club POC.

While some FAC members are lucky enough to live near their local club, many of us must travel to get to our "local" club.  As long as I have been involved in Free Flight modeling and the FAC, I have always had to travel a minimum of 2 hours to get to my "local" club.  It eliminates casual lunches and other get-togethers, but I do make all the contests.

--george

NormF
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2021, 03:31:12 PM »

Most of the USA FF rule books can be found here: https://freeflight.org/competition/free-flight-rules/

There’s a bunch of them! Plus clubs/contests have special events or local rules.

NormF
SP250
Gold Member

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2021, 04:16:44 AM »

Sorry Dan

Try this :-
UK BMFA website here:-  https://bmfa.org
Downloads tab, scroll down to Contest rule books and click on it.
Takes you to a SharePoint page, scroll down and the scale rules are 3rd from the bottom, click on it and you should have the 2021 UK scale BMFA rulebook for all scale classes. Save it or bookmark it etc.

Hope that works John M
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: