Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
June 19, 2021, 05:13:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: My first thermal  (Read 217 times)
philly
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: May 17, 2021, 04:12:22 PM »

Just wanted to share my excitement with hooking into my first real thermal.
I'm pretty new to the hobby, have built a couple catapult gliders. Over the winter I built the Apogee glider seen on the Charles River site. Been teaching myself how to fly. Poor winter conditions so no thermaling. Been getting out several time this past week and the lapse rate looks good, cumulus clouds, and a chance of thunderstorms. Been hitting small lifty bits but nothing I could work. Today flew off the high start line and I thought, "huh, got some good height on that launch", soon realized it was getting smaller! Flew back and forth a couple times, lift was large, no need to "core" the thermal here.
Now being higher and farther than I've ever been realize its a little harder to determine my pitch or roll attitude and maybe its time to figure out how to escape a thermal? And how far will this cheap Tx/Rx work? Did some dives hoping to not exceed Vne, whatever that speed is on this plane, off in a different direction to maybe find some sink, and some steep bank turns.
Seemed to work, think the dive was the most effective part. Now at the downwind edge of the field trying to circle down to a height to turn final. Still getting some lift here, ballon on short final, Phew , back on the ground safely. No video. Would have been just a boring speck on the screen anyways.
Priceless.
No spoilers on this plane. What is your thermal escape procedure?

Phil
flydean1
Platinum Member

Kudos: 29

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2021, 04:55:21 PM »

My procedure is to launch any of my models into the air.  Thermals flee!! Grin
TimWescott
Platinum Member

Kudos: 18

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2021, 05:02:57 PM »

A long, long time ago I managed to build myself an RC sport plane that would plug itself into thermals all by itself (it certainly wasn't me).

If the plane is inherently stable, then you can just let go of the sticks and it'll find a level-enough flight pattern so that it won't damage itself.

If it's just a little dot in the sky (and it's stable) you can see which way it's pointing by giving it a "bump" and seeing which way it goes.  That should get your orientation back and then you just need to keep track of it.

You can keep the speed below terminal velocity by pulling enough rudder or aileron for a tight turn, with lots of elevator.  That should spiral you down out of a thermal.  If you can see the thing well enough, stunting is a good way to lose altitude, too -- I think it may have been thermalling that thing where I learned the rudaments of flying an elevator-rudder airplane inverted (it was certainly that plane).
Starduster
Platinum Member

Kudos: 38

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2021, 05:26:38 PM »

Throttle to Idle, Full aft elevator, followed a second or so later by full left aileron and full right rudder. When it gets to an altitude that you are comfortable, release both aileron and rudder. Most airplanes will recover from the spin, provided, of course, you have enough altitude. If it keeps spinning, forward elevator, followed by a smooth application of power. Don't try to stop the turn until the airplane is stable and the spin stops.

"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty..."
philly
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2021, 12:58:25 PM »

Thanks all for the tips. Starduster wants me to do a spin. Did I mention I am a student driver/pilot.LOL But I guess in a do-or die situation it might be worth trying.  BTW I have no ailerons either, just rudder-vator controlled,cant do the cross controlled thing. Will a stall and rudder input induce a spin?
Too windy to play today, grrr...
philly
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2021, 12:14:10 PM »

Sigh...lost sight of it in the sun, got sight of it again, struggled with some unusual attitude recovery but went right back into the sun again. Knew it was behind me by the sound of it hitting the pavement. I think its repairable with a "nose job"
   Cause of accident -the pilots inability to maintain directional control. Solar glare and strong winds were a contributing factor.

lincoln
Titanium Member

Kudos: 38

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2021, 07:05:39 PM »

You must have some real talent if you can learn to fly with an Apogee.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: