Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
June 23, 2021, 02:22:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: FUBAR 36  (Read 241 times)
DougFunny
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: May 31, 2021, 03:29:29 PM »

About halfway through building a Fubar 36. Plans call for a Wasp .049. I have a few Babe Bee’s, a Black Widow, and several Pee Wee .020’s. What should I use? .049 seems like a lot of power for this!
danberry
Gold Member

Kudos: 17

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2021, 04:03:48 PM »

Black Widow is a lot of power for it.
BabeBee is about same as Wasp. The Wasp isn't a lot of power- less than a Cub.
DougFunny
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2021, 05:19:14 PM »

BabeBee it is then. This will be my first gas free flight model. The field I usually fly over is about 300x200 yards. It’s actually flat and open about 600x600 yards but partially private property. Is this enough space for this plane?
danberry
Gold Member

Kudos: 17

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2021, 08:51:25 PM »

If you can keep the motor run to 5-6 seconds.
flydean1
Platinum Member

Kudos: 29

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2021, 09:35:21 PM »

Yes and use a real DT timer to keep the flights to 30 - 45 seconds.
DougFunny
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2021, 10:21:47 AM »

Ok, nearing completion, just needs a coat of butyrate and a wheel. Should I be adding tilt to the stab? The plans did not mention. Also, excuse the ignorance but I’ve never attempted a gas model, I’m curious as to what happens if the DT releases before the engine shuts off? Nothing good I imagine.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: FUBAR 36
USch
Platinum Member

Kudos: 36

Italy Italy

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2021, 11:08:48 AM »

.........what happens if the DT releases before the engine shuts off? Nothing good I imagine.

Try to avoid it  Wink Roll Eyes
If the wing is strongly build and the motor weak you may get away with a lot of looping's, otherwise a broken wing is the answer.

On small fields a RDT (Radio controlled D/T) is the best solution, but also the most expensive.

Urs

Fast up-Slow down
Starduster
Platinum Member

Kudos: 38

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2021, 03:19:56 PM »

Ok, nearing completion, just needs a coat of butyrate and a wheel. Should I be adding tilt to the stab? The plans did not mention. Also, excuse the ignorance but I’ve never attempted a gas model, I’m curious as to what happens if the DT releases before the engine shuts off? Nothing good I imagine.

I think your biggest problem is figuring out how to limit the motor run with that BabeBee. Especially for the first flights, you want only about a 10 second (or less) motor run. Trying to do that is difficult with that engine. And throw in that you are flying on a relatively small field, that makes it even tougher. If it were me, I'd set the DT at about 2 minutes. I'd rather have the airplane DT off the field than have it DT under power. I just don't think the airplane can survive a DT under power.

BTW - Where are you located? Perhaps there may be someone close.

"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty..."
DougFunny
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2021, 03:45:36 PM »

I think your biggest problem is figuring out how to limit the motor run with that BabeBee. Especially for the first flights, you want only about a 10 second (or less) motor run. Trying to do that is difficult with that engine. And throw in that you are flying on a relatively small field, that makes it even tougher. If it were me, I'd set the DT at about 2 minutes. I'd rather have the airplane DT off the field than have it DT under power. I just don't think the airplane can survive a DT under power.

I’m in Buckner Ky outside Louisville. Not much FF activity around here that I know of. I started building rubber models as a kid, got really into RC as an adult, ditched balsa for foamies, then with the COVID lockdowns rediscovered my balsa stash and started building FF again. I’ve been experimenting with carefully filling the engine with a syringe, I can get somewhat consistent run times (+/- 5-10 sec).  I built a dethermalizer timer using an Arduino Beetle and a 1.7g servo. It utilizes a trimpot to adjust the timer and a tiny pushbutton to start and stop the cycle. 1s 100mah lipo. All up it weighs 6g. Will try to make sure DT time is longer than any possible engine run.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: