Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
June 23, 2021, 02:04:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: How do you keep your CA bottles from clogging up?  (Read 220 times)
bentodd
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: June 05, 2021, 10:33:17 PM »

My CA bottle nozzles always clog up.  I am in Florida and my work area is in the garage so it is warm and humid most of the time.  I end up drilling out the nozzles if I haven't used them in a few days. 
lincoln
Titanium Member

Kudos: 38

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2021, 10:54:30 PM »

It might help to keep the glue bottle in a jar with dessicant. I understand that baked kitty litter works well. However, tbe real trick is sacrificing a goat.   ;-)
gossie
Platinum Member

Kudos: 50

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2021, 12:00:08 AM »

Keep them in your beer fridge in the work shop. 
atesus
Gold Member

Kudos: 29

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2021, 12:48:16 AM »

If the problem is with the thin stuff, fine glue tips don't seem to clog up for days. After using the glue, I make sure to squeeze the bottle on the sides and suck in some air to clear the tip off glue.

The tips I use look like these https://www.etsy.com/listing/871977551/disposable-glue-tips-100-pack-ca-glue

As for the thicker stuff, the last CA bottle I got from Bob Smith industries has a pin inside the cap which is very helpful. The tip hasn't clogged up in months.

I hope this helps.
--Ates
che
Silver Member

Kudos: 1

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2021, 05:08:49 AM »

The problem with sucking in some air to the bottle is that it helps set the stuff off, so over time the CA gets thicker. The only solution I know of that works every time, 100%, is to use it all up by building more models.

CHE
stupid
Silver Member

Kudos: 10

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2021, 08:15:13 AM »

Join the club, I think we all have this problem with the thin cyanoacrylate.
  A few tips to minimize the situation is to buy smaller bottles of cyanoacrylate, it does have a shelf life. You live in an area where there is high humidity, it is the humidity in the air that sets off the cyanoacrylate. While doing field repairs on wooden gliders while holding the parts together with your right and left hand you can actually spit on the join to kick or set the cyanoacrylate.
   Do not put any foreign object into the spout it will contaminate the nozzle and the contamination will set the cyanoacrylate off and plug the spout.
  Buy disposable tips that you can put on the bottle spout so when the removable tips get plugged, you can put on a new tip avoiding the contamination of spout.
   When you are through using your glue for the day, tap the bottle on the counter so that the cyanoacrylate will drain out of the spout into the bottle.
  Always make sure your bottles are stored upright, the changes in barometric pressure will force the cyanoacrylate into the nozzle if it's on its side.
  If you're still having problems after trying these suggestions it might be because the humidity is very high in your area. Try using the single use cyanoacrylate of 1/2 g or the 1 g metal tubes, as you squeeze out the glue there won't be any humid air coming back into the tube.
All the best,              Bob

"If it looks stupid, and it works..... It's not so stupid."
Indoorflyer
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2021, 03:55:55 PM »

That is a very useful bit of info/advice,  Bob. Thanks for summarizing that... Wouldn't that be nice if it was printed on the label?  (They would probably see a decline in sales, if people didn't have to replace their poorly-cared-for bottle of CA   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes     )
flydean1
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2021, 06:02:55 PM »

So far, the best I have found is Gorilla Glue.  Only medium CA so far but the container has flexible sides which return to position after glue application sucking the glue back into the bottle.  The cap also screws down tight and evidently has a metal or some other plug that seals the bottle. 

Haven't tried their thin grade as yet.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: