Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
July 26, 2021, 01:25:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: A Right Royal KK Chipmunk  (Read 1462 times)
billdennis747
Palladium Member

Kudos: 68

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2021, 09:16:43 AM »

Well I’m not sure if I’ve really captured the royal phizog…
Hopefully not actually treasonable though.
Brilliant. He manages to look different in each picture. He seems quite chipper in the first, before descending into a slough of despond as he sinks into a Baskerville swamp on Dartmoor, before resurfacing as Wallace (and Gromit, not Simpson). I would touch in some more hair at the parting. Can he fly with one hand permanently tucked into a blazer pocket?
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 163

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2021, 10:54:12 AM »

Thanks, Bill- I’ve closed up his parting a bit as suggested and it does look better. Your Bleriot moustache anhedral tip was very good too; you seem to be the go-to guy for scale pilot coiffiture advice (and much else of course!)
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: A Right Royal KK Chipmunk
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2021, 08:33:45 AM »

Chipmunk is now covered. I ordered some white 15gsm sheets of tissue from Packaging2YourDoor, as recommended by Jon (Yak52) and perhaps others. I like the way it went on. There were a couple of little splits though so it may not be all that strong. Hopefully better now doped.
I’ve also started glazing the cockpit using this new Deluxe Materials “glue ‘n’ glaze” canopy glue. I got on well with it- nice and grippy, dries clear and accidental splodges come off easily with water.

The plan now is to stick the whole plane together so I can add the wing fillets and underwing fus. section, mask off the windows, and then spray the thing all in one piece. Colour will be Xtracolor “red arrows red”.
Russ Lister
Free Flight Modeller .... sub 250g!
Palladium Member

Kudos: 75

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2021, 04:18:13 AM »

Look forward to seeing the fully assembled model ... always a difficult thing for me to commit to!
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2021, 07:25:30 AM »

Here we are then: all together and ready for spraying. The two air intakes are yellow because I purloined them from one of my defunct Fairchilds. Once it’s all red it’ll just be a case of adding the roundels and a couple of details (the exhaust pipe and the royal warning beacon on the top of the windscreen). I’m hopeful it might be ready for Old Warden.

If anyone's wondering about the patched tissue near the right wing root, it's because I tried to add paper wing fillets and made a right horlicks of the first one whilst sticking it down. (Have now decided it doesn't need paper wing fillets!) There's a smaller patch on the other wing root too where the brush went through whilst doping. Need a nice soft brush with this tissue.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2021, 07:48:06 AM by Pete Fardell » Logged
Squirrelnet
Platinum Member

Kudos: 56

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: July 14, 2021, 07:41:50 AM »

That's looking very nice Pete.

'Royal warning beacon' that could be useful for some other of our other Royals too.

Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2021, 05:36:20 AM »

Thanks, Chris.
This is now finished so here are some pics. Weight as seen (ie without rubber) is 74g which I think is ok for its 30" span. At the moment it balances on the spar, or thereabouts.
Conditions are very good today so even though I normally like to give myself a bit of finished model gloating time I might even try a bit of pre-Old Warden trimmimg later.
Squirrelnet
Platinum Member

Kudos: 56

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2021, 05:41:09 AM »

Gloat away Pete , that's looking very nice now its painted. I would have thought 74g for a 30" model is pretty good going too - hope the trimming goes well
Russ Lister
Palladium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2021, 05:48:11 AM »

Looks great, Pete .... I hope that the trimming goes well  Smiley
billdennis747
Palladium Member

Kudos: 68

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2021, 07:23:59 AM »

Nice one Pete. I'm really looking forward to OW. I can't see any ref. to having to pre-book; have I missed anything? I think it's Sunday for me.
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2021, 07:44:22 AM »

Sunday for me too. I think the pre-booking details might be on the Modelair Facebook page, but I gather it’s only necessary if they exceed their maximum number. The max is about 8000 I believe, so we should be fine. I’m not prebooking either.
Invader3
Silver Member

Kudos: 10

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2021, 05:02:49 PM »

Very nice indeed, Pete - hopefully will be able to see it for real on Sunday (rain permitting, according to the forecast I've just seen Undecided)
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 47

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2021, 05:04:38 PM »

Very neat!  One……err really … likes the paint finish.  I.. er think there should be a crease in the trisers?  Errr … where is my instructor …. Please?
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2021, 04:32:13 PM »

Had a short trimming session at my field this evening. Grass very long now and lots of model losing potential. Sorry, no video but some quite good progress made. Right thrust, a bit of nose weight and a small left wing gurney had it going in a steady low circle.
Plan was to take it to OW tomorrow but life has rather got in the way. Our son, who’s 17, has just been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes and it’s all been a bit of a shock. He’s doing ok though.
Tim Horne
Gold Member

Kudos: 24

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2021, 12:46:20 PM »

Sorry to hear that Pete, I hope he’s coping ok. Sometimes life puts modelling into perspective.

The Chippie looks great!
Russ Lister
Palladium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2021, 07:04:12 PM »

Sorry to hear that, Pete. I've been type 2 for over 20 years now ... my sister in law and I used my testing kit to test my nephew. He turned out to be in a state with high sugar and ketone levels when the hospital diagnosed type 1. It took a while to get him balanced up but things got better when they did. All a bit traumatic for a start.
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2021, 07:59:49 PM »

Thanks both,
Russ, you’re one of a few people to tell me of others who’ve got diabetes, and are coping, and it really helps a lot. Thomas is taking it in his stride pretty well so far. (I’d no idea you were type 2 diabetic either. )

Hey, I currently have zero unfinished models on my building board! How rare is that?
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 189

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2021, 08:31:11 PM »

Sorry to hear that Pete.Life does throw a spanner in the works every now and then. Good luck with your son's health.

Cheers
John
DHnut
Gold Member

Kudos: 20

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2021, 10:37:26 PM »

Hi Pete,
           That was a real curved ball just when you were looking forward to being a semi free agent. I am sure your people skills will help get routines established. Back to the Chipmunk. When I was doing my Engineer Officer training at Cranwell this was one of the checks the duty officer had to make to ensure all was well. I was driving over to the North Camp one day and was very nearly collected by an Aston martin going somewhat quickly the other way. No prizes for guessing the driver.
Aside from that I love the model and look forward to hearing how it goes.
Ricky   
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: