Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
October 19, 2021, 05:28:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Dreaming Spires Free Flight Rally 2021  (Read 822 times)
Laurence Marks
Gold Member

Kudos: 9

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: July 14, 2021, 04:36:11 PM »

Dear all

Some of you may have known that we were quietly planning to run a 2021 Dreaming Spires event in September.  The council have a rule that all events need to have a covid compliant event plan and risk assessment, whatever the status at the time of the event.

The "open to the public" nature of Port Meadow means that running a covid compliant event is impossible.

So we've decided to call the event off.  We'll have another go in 2022.

Laurence

Squirrelnet
Platinum Member

Kudos: 56

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2021, 04:37:55 PM »

Thanks Laurence  thanks for letting us know
Russ Lister
Free Flight Modeller .... sub 250g!
Palladium Member

Kudos: 75

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2021, 06:08:33 PM »

Sorry to hear this, Laurence ... it really is a long road out of this situation.
billdennis747
Palladium Member

Kudos: 69

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2021, 03:29:41 AM »

Sorry to hear this, Laurence ... it really is a long road out of this situation.
If fifteen blokes wandering around a vast open space in a breeze,  as a member of the public wanders past with a dog is not allowed, that road is going to be very long indeed.
vintagemike
Gold Member

Kudos: 13

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2021, 04:12:43 AM »

Perhaps you can hold it at Wembley stadium instead!
Russ Lister
Palladium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2021, 05:13:19 AM »

Perhaps you can hold it at Wembley stadium instead!

If you wave money about then 'the powers' seem to be able to say "yes' .... otherwise the default response seems to be set to "no".
This was happening before covid. ..... back in 2008 I had a conversation about my proposed shed at the local council office that turned into a game where they wouldn't say yes to anything.
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 166

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2021, 07:31:00 AM »

If councils’ default answer is “no” then maybe we need to ask different questions. Eg. “Please can you give us consent to cancel our free flight meeting?”

Seriously though, thanks Laurence and all at Oxford MAC for your continued efforts to get things going again. Whenever we eventually get back, it will be brilliant!
PeeTee
Titanium Member

Kudos: 52

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2021, 07:35:12 AM »

Pete, don't you mean "if we ever get back"   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
Russ Lister
Palladium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2021, 09:35:22 AM »

If councils’ default answer is “no” then maybe we need to ask different questions. Eg. “Please can you give us consent to cancel our free flight meeting?”

You could try it, but I think they would refuse to answer that one .... a bit like the Fonz in Happy Days.  Roll Eyes

As Pete says, it will be great when you can organise something   Smiley
kkphantom
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2021, 10:12:02 AM »

At least that solves my problem as to whether I should attend Dreaming Spires or Flying Aces at Peterborough. Mind you Peterborough is in a public open space so I won't get too excited...
Gary
Russ Lister
Palladium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2021, 10:17:15 AM »

Hopefully the Peterborough event is going ahead .... the last time that the marvellous Brians will be organising it.
 They work closely with the Nene Park Trust (the right organisation I think?)
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 166

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2021, 12:20:07 PM »

At least that solves my problem as to whether I should attend Dreaming Spires or Flying Aces at Peterborough.
I was planning on attending both as they didn’t clash anyway did they? DS would’ve been on a Thursday.
kkphantom
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2021, 01:02:53 PM »

They are only a few days apart Pete, over ten days in a narrowboat though!
Gary
TheLurker
Platinum Member

Kudos: 36

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2021, 02:16:32 PM »

Oh I say! What's a chap supposed to do for free cake and a proper length 1/8" bungee now?  Smiley

That is a shame, I was looking forward to it, I even had permission to take the day off work.  Better luck next year.
Squirrelnet
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2021, 02:53:30 PM »

Oh I say! What's a chap supposed to do for free cake and a proper length 1/8" bungee now?  Smiley

Well if free cake is what you're after Ivan Taylor is running a suitable free flight scale soiree at North Luffenham the weekend before in which Albert Ball cake will be on offer for all participants... not sure about the length or indeed of the presence of a bungie though.

Fingers crossed 2022 competitions at Port Meadow will be possible as its such a nice site and such a nice club (OK slight bias there  Wink)
SP250
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2021, 08:22:07 AM »

Slightly off topic - but still on FF scale flying.

The cutoff date for entries for the revised scale FF nationals has been extended to July 29th.  Was supposed to close yesterday.
Whilst they are being held at Buckminster, which is not as FF friendly as Barkston, please support them by entering and if not, please don't whinge that there are no events to fly at as the STC have worked long and hard and jumped through a lot of hoops to make a scale nationals event happen at all.

Entry form available from Mike Smith or on the STC website or from Chris Allen.

Regards John M
modelmad
Copper Member

Kudos: 0

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2021, 10:56:41 AM »

Find it strange that 36500 people can be packed into the british grand prix this week-end but a couple of dozen people on a open common is considered to be to high a risk to take.

Long flights & happy landings, Simon.
vintagemike
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2021, 04:43:31 AM »

Hence my earlier comment about Wembley stadium
billdennis747
Palladium Member

Kudos: 69

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2021, 05:31:11 AM »

Find it strange that 36500 people can be packed into the british grand prix this week-end
I think it was 140,000 and scarcely a mask in sight. Same with the golf. It's infuriating, but these are 'grown up' activities aren't they.
Anyway it's OW 'Scale' weekend next.
oldgit
Bronze Member

Kudos: 3

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2021, 03:19:59 PM »

could it have anything to do with no spectators, Silverstone was bust, off to the PM to get permission to hold it without masks etc.
ps sorry about the cynical thoughts

Roger
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 47

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2021, 04:19:48 AM »

Authorities like local government have a guaranteed income and are not accountable.  They do not, as is the case with a commercial institution for example, have to be cost efficient or make a profit.  Were they so required then in the majority would be in receivership.

Many who work for local government adhere vigorously to the lead swingers charter and are experts in work avoidance.  This enables them to lead a relatively stress free existence.  So as has been rightly said if asked for a “permission” to hold an activity invariably the answer is no.  This avoids making any form of decision that might incur an element of responsibility or involve thought and heaven forbid effort. 

This is said from the experience of many years of working with local government.  And it got worse as time passed.

I do admire the ability though to be able to write a letter of some length that says absolutely nothing about anything, particularly the question that may have been asked and their ability to hold meetings that clearly are no more than an acceptable alternative to work.
Jez Wilkins
Silver Member

Kudos: 2

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2021, 07:12:48 AM »

Authorities like local government have a guaranteed income and are not accountable.  They do not, as is the case with a commercial institution for example, have to be cost efficient or make a profit.  Were they so required then in the majority would be in receivership.

Many who work for local government adhere vigorously to the lead swingers charter and are experts in work avoidance.  This enables them to lead a relatively stress free existence.  So as has been rightly said if asked for a “permission” to hold an activity invariably the answer is no.  This avoids making any form of decision that might incur an element of responsibility or involve thought and heaven forbid effort. 

This is said from the experience of many years of working with local government.  And it got worse as time passed.

I do admire the ability though to be able to write a letter of some length that says absolutely nothing about anything, particularly the question that may have been asked and their ability to hold meetings that clearly are no more than an acceptable alternative to work.

Hi David JP.

I have reported your post to the HPA Moderators - first time that I have done so in all the years that I have been on this site.  Never read such a load of old codswallop!!  And yes - I do have some 'inside knowledge'.Smiley  Also, this is an Aeromodelling forum - what has your post to do with Aeromodelling?

Cheers,

Jez Wilkins
Russ Lister
Palladium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2021, 08:31:03 AM »

Jez,
It is an opinion.... just like yours .... and we are talking about flying model aeroplanes.
I have very little experience with local authorities in this way, but sadly my experiences were quite negative for the most part. Just the experience I have had .... your experiences might be different?
Squirrelnet
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2021, 08:57:17 AM »

Council's do seem to like lots of bureaucracy and can sometimes drive you mad but just to clarify they didn't actually say NO

As Laurence's first post says - the Events dept of the Council are asking for both an events management plan and a Covid risk assessment both, no doubt due to the uncertainty and the ever changing Covid rules . These will present insurmountable difficulties as it is a public space and practically impossible to run the event under such conditions so the decision was taken by the club that it was untenable

Hats off to Laurence and the club for persevering as it was originally going to be in June but in the end it is I fear a victim of the current times

Hopefully they will have less obstacles next year and Dreaming Spires will return in 2022  Grin

Russ Lister
Palladium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2021, 09:25:35 AM »

Indeed, hats off to anyone organising any event in our hobby ... I know that I couldn't do it.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: