Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
October 19, 2021, 06:21:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Dreaming Spires Free Flight Rally 2021  (Read 824 times)
Indoorflyer
Platinum Member

Kudos: 29

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2021, 11:32:54 AM »

Wow.  Feels just like Facebook!
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 47

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2021, 12:09:03 PM »

Oh gosh Indoor I did not mean to sink to those depths,  honestly!

I rather thought my post would go without much comment if any.  For what it is worth Jez I am not upset or offended by your comments.  That is your view and you are entitled to it. Thankfully we have not yet got to a stage where one cannot express an opinion on this type of thing.

I echo the comments about the difficulties of organising an event.  Clearly on this occasion the local authority have a box that must be ticked and that is sacrosanct. No flexibility. The club has taken the only decision open to them in the circumstances. 

It is a reflection of our society today.  For many years, living in London, I was able to enjoy attempting to fly my models in local parks and other open spaces - even at weekends in the playing field of a High School on occasions without let or hindrance.  It was not unusual in the parks for a Park Keeper, in his brown three piece suit and trilby hat to come across and show an interest.  Events often took place on Wimbledon Common.

But things change.  We, the people are responsible, nothing else and so beaurocracy in its various guises has evolved to suite.  I think it is sad because having been there I have witnessed the transition and do not like it.  Covid is blamed for many things unjustly and on occasions to advantage.  This form of control has been with us for quite a while and will continue to thrive.

It is a first for me Jez - I have not to my knowledge been reported to a moderator on a site such as this.

So I continue to fly my models now in some isolation - just with a few friends - largely undisturbed - and am content. Visiting events and seeing how some very able people do it was always very enjoyable, always friendly and never disturbing anyone.  But all good things sadly come to an end.  I often wonder what Col. Bowden would make of it - but you know somehow I don’t think it would have happened.
TheLurker
Platinum Member

Kudos: 36

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2021, 01:17:29 PM »

The thing about Wembley & other stadium based events is that they are in controlled spaces and you can, at least in theory, track everyone present and stand a reasonable chance of being able to provide a plan to reduce contagion by controlling movement and separation as well as following up those who may be infected after the event is over.  If the space isn't controlled you simply can't do that.  Any old anonymous Typhoid Mary could wander through and infect everyone present and given that, there's no way that OMFC can ever present a plan to mitigate the risk of infection on the wilds of Portmeadow.  As far as the council's response goes,  I think they're in a, "damned if they do, damned if they don't" position and I'm glad I don't have that job.

Speaking *entirely* for myself I would happily and far rather attend something like Dreaming Spires in a wide open space with a few dozen people than go anywhere near a plague factory like Wembley or Wimbledon.   Never mind.  To borrow and bend phrase from a more sacred occasion , "Next year on Portmeadow.  

Cheers,
Lurk
Jez Wilkins
Silver Member

Kudos: 2

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2021, 07:10:13 PM »

Council's do seem to like lots of bureaucracy and can sometimes drive you mad but just to clarify they didn't actually say NO

As Laurence's first post says - the Events dept of the Council are asking for both an events management plan and a Covid risk assessment both, no doubt due to the uncertainty and the ever changing Covid rules . These will present insurmountable difficulties as it is a public space and practically impossible to run the event under such conditions so the decision was taken by the club that it was untenable

Hats off to Laurence and the club for persevering as it was originally going to be in June but in the end it is I fear a victim of the current times

Hopefully they will have less obstacles next year and Dreaming Spires will return in 2022  Grin

Thanks, Squirrelnet, for the post, clarification and reference back to the first post in this thread, which makes it clear that it was a club decision that the meeting was untenable.  No [U.K.] Council can pass its own laws and everything that they do stems from legislation passed by Government.  I no longer work in the Public Sector - but you can bet that every change in our lives over the past sixteen months or so (the 'Lockdowns' and the various 'easings' - including the one this Monday just gone) - will have had a legislative basis.  Back in November 2020, I was sent, by an Aeromodelling friend, a .pdf copy of a Statutory Instrument - as there were discussions in his club as to whether or not they could legally be flying on the club field.  I cannot attach a .pdf file here - and whilst a 'link' to the Regulations - which are secondary legislation (but are law - or, at least, were at the time that they came into force) still exists https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2020/1200/contents - the regulations have been revoked - so there is nothing for you to read.  Suffice to state that the .pdf version that I received ran to 32 pages and, if I remember correctly, also required require reference to other Regulations, or maybe to Acts, to get definitions of some of the phrases used.

You mention opinion/experiences Russ - mine are based on more that two decades of working in the Public Sector, always dealing face-to-face with the public - so not what I would describe as even 'middle management' level - let alone any higher. In all that time (and I have given this significant thought, since my last post) I can only recall two people (both male) who I would describe as 'lead swingers' (one older, a former compositor/typesetter) and one younger (fresh out of college?) who were often to be found 'larking around' in the office - when they should have been working.  Neither lasted very long. They were both recruited due to the 'significant' expansion in staff, required to administer a change from a well-established, property based local taxation system (General Rates) to a new, person based, local taxation system (Community Charge).  Remember that? Smiley  Everybody else that I ever came across/worked with/worked for was hard-working and dedicated to providing the best service that they could (often in quite difficult circumstances and not of their own making) to the public at large.  

Sort of back on topic.  Is 'Dreaming Spires' a free flight only event, or is any control line flown?  If control line is flown, how are you proposing to ensure compliance with the 30 metre distance from 'uninvolved people'', required for operations under the BMFA's 'Article 16' Authorisation - given that Port Meadow is an 'open space'?

Cheers,

Jez Wilkins

Edited, to update information relating to the 'link' to the Regulations.             

« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 07:26:18 PM by Jez Wilkins » Logged
Squirrelnet
Platinum Member

Kudos: 56

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2021, 02:45:07 AM »

Dreaming Spires is a Free Flight Gala with classes for duration and scale models
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2021, 04:56:24 AM »

Hear what you say Jez.  If ever you feel like a re run of things try asking for details of the BMFA insurance - I have had some very extraordinary correspondence on that just recently! 

I don’t know when your “20 years” was - my experience started probably mid sixties.  Then there were people in local government who new a thing or two.  For example Building Control, etc. And some aspects of finance but by the eighties they had all disappeared. As a couple of recent examples - being told in writing that the imposing of charges for parking related matters was not economically viable so regulations would not be enforced.  How come virtually every other council in England is out of step?  And I enquired when sone vegetation would be cut back as it was a danger due to it obstructing visibility splays at junctions.  A rambling reply advising that all number “authorities” were responsible  for this work - county - local - town councils etc. but they could not tell me which authority the junction in question came under.

It would not have happened in the old days!

As it is off topic apart from the first paragraph this post will self destruct in 24 hours.
Jez Wilkins
Silver Member

Kudos: 2

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2021, 07:55:20 AM »

Dreaming Spires is a Free Flight Gala with classes for duration and scale models

Thanks for clarifying, Squirrelnet.

Hear what you say Jez.  If ever you feel like a re run of things try asking for details of the BMFA insurance - I have had some very extraordinary correspondence on that just recently! 

As it is off topic apart from the first paragraph this post will self destruct in 24 hours.

As you state, DavidJP off-topic and I don't know how you arrange for a post to 'self destruct in 24 hours' - but if it is possible to do this, a full response from me would make no sense to a later reader, without embedding the whole quote, including the off-topic bits.

A separate thread about BMFA insurance would, obviously, be aeromodelling related, if you felt inclined to start one.

Cheers,

Jez Wilkins   
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2021, 09:47:11 AM »

I am done with this now Jez, as I think the discussion will become tedious and achieve nothing.  I’m merely expressed an opinion. You countered which a I accept you were entitled to do.  So I yield.  

Sorry, I can’t divulge anything on the insurance.  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: