Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 17, 2021, 08:48:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Modelair Scale Weekend Old Warden 2021  (Read 840 times)
Squirrelnet
Platinum Member

Kudos: 56

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: July 23, 2021, 03:39:39 PM »

Thought I'd start a thread for this event.

The Old Warden Scale Weekend event is on this weekend 24/25 July 2021

Weather forecast seems to change by the minute, sunday looking ok at present but I'll be there both days and hope to post some pics .

Sunday sees a return for the Ebenezer competition with a call to bring your model 'even if they don't fly, the static display is inspirational!'

Some scale comps too from SAM 35 with the Earl Stahl and Masefield and, I think maybe the Credginton ...not sure but loads to see and hopefully do

Some info here from the Modelair newsletter

GENERAL INFORMATION
·         Entry to the site will be via the new road. Please follow the AA signage.
·         Parking will be managed by Shuttleworth staff and volunteers. Please respect their instructions.
·         First Aid: Shuttleworth Fire Service First Aiders. The First Aid Point is near the Refuelling Station (otherwise known as the Bar) opposite the hangars, adjacent to the Tethered Car Circle.
·         The Museum Collection and the Swiss Garden are included in your Day Ticket; please follow directions. Face coverings are mandatory when inside the hangars, Café, or other indoor areas, unless you have an exemption.  
·         The Jubilee Playground will be open.
·         Dogs should be kept on leads and normal practices adhered to.
·         Generators: Campers & Traders, please protect the public from your generator, run these only between 7am - 10pm.
·         Control Tower sound system: If you use the microphone: please ensure that it is cleaned after use (this includes the switches on the PA system). Sanitiser wipes will be provided.
·         Toilets: All visitors to the event will have access to Portaloos and hand sanitiser provided around the site on Saturday and Sunday; please observe social distancing while queuing. NB: the toilet block and the Elsan point behind the hangars are not in use.

·         Catering Facilities:
o   The newly christened Runway Café will be serving a range of hot & cold food: Jacket potatoes, Cornish Pasties, Sausage rolls, sandwiches, cake and hot and cold drinks.
o   Shuttleworth Coffee Pods will provide hot & cold drinks and a range of snacks around the site.
o   The Refuelling Station (previously The Hut) will also be open for drinks, sandwiches, snacks & ice creams, etc. Please note at the time of writing, we are unable to serve alcohol due to government Covid-19 restrictions (only table service allowed!), but feel free to bring your own.
o   If you have special dietary requirements, please consider bringing your own picnics.
·         Face coverings are not compulsory in outdoor settings; however, those in a customer facing role (e.g. organisers, traders, flight line controllers & competition organisers) should be prepared to wear a face covering if asked to do so. Face coverings are compulsory if riding on a Shuttleworth buggy or when walking round indoor areas, unless you have an exemption.
·         Lost Property should be handed in to ModelAir HQ, located close to the gate of the Campsite and near the R/C flight line (please look for the ModelAir banner). After the event, please hand items in at the Shuttleworth Shop or, if closed, put them in the Control Tower, and please inform a member of either Team Shuttleworth or Team ModelAir.
PILOT INFORMATION
·         Briefings will be held, time to be advised: R/C Pilots; C/L Pilots; Marshalls and those organising competitions.
·         Please adhere to the marked-out areas for setting up, flight line, etc, and respect social distancing at all times.
·         R/C and F/F pilots please note: The start of the R/C Flight line has been moved to the point where the road crossed the runway. This provides a greatly enlarged flying area for F/F and R/C and allows an increase in maximum weight for R/C from 10kg to 15kg.
·         The F/F area is now also much larger, and we have created a generous buffer zone between the two areas.
·         Our experience in September 2020 indicates that these changes have greatly enhanced the flying experience for pilots and spectators alike.
·         ModelAir ask that all models maintain the style and ethos of aircraft in the Shuttleworth Collection. We hope to see plenty of models, both static and in the air, and ask that all models are flown in an appropriate manner. If in doubt about the suitability of your models, please get in touch with Ken at ModelAir before 19th July, or talk to James Gordon, RC Flight Director, on site.
·         Please note that R/C pilots are required to hold a B-certificate; if flying RC Assist/Vintage models, an A-certificate, at the discretion of Ken Sheppard, Flight Director, and the Flight line team.
·         Please remember to display your CAA Operator ID on all your models; models below 250g are exempt, as are CL models.

Pic - Ebenezer competitors (modelair)
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Modelair Scale Weekend Old Warden 2021
Russ Lister
Free Flight Modeller .... sub 250g!
Palladium Member

Kudos: 75

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2021, 04:07:55 PM »

I hope to be there on Sunday.
I also hope that it is a great weekend for all attending   Smiley

I love that group photo .... reminds me of some great times.
There's my wife stood with Pete Iliffe, Rob Smith and myself .... all holding Rob's collection of models.
Russ Lister
Palladium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2021, 04:11:23 PM »

... I have photos of Pete's Yellow Submarine somewhere. A reminder to dig them out.
Squirrelnet
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2021, 04:29:44 PM »

... I have photos of Pete's Yellow Submarine somewhere. A reminder to dig them out.

Sounds intriguing, I'd love to see that
Mike Smith
Bronze Member

Kudos: 3

I use "The Force"

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2021, 02:03:32 AM »

One and all
I can confirm that the BMFA STC is running the flying only Credgington Trophy on Sunday from around 11.00 This was postponed from the cancelled May Nats. Weather permitting. Register on the field.
There is a weight limit of 500 grams. We will also run the comp without a qualifying time. Best flight wins. Score sheets supplied.
See you there.

If you want to be on my email list for the Outdoor Scale Free Flight News Briefs email me. [email protected]

Mike
Squirrelnet
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2021, 03:07:39 PM »

Well despite a not very good weather forecast, today at OW was rather good.

It was pretty much dry all day, apart from a very early shower and under the grey cloud we had some nice periods of calm weather to fly in. The wind did pick up a bit after lunch and many drifted away with comments of saving it for tomorrow. My wind meter said 14mph gust so I called it day too

I decided to come in my Healey Sprite which is loud, hot, cramped and in the conditions a bit twitchy, with an added downside of having little room for models ...but I absolutely loved it Cool Cool

Very nice to catch up with some old friends and indeed meet some new ones

Here's a few pics from the day

Pic 1 - Hmm... not much room in here

Pic 2 - ..but perhaps more than you'd think

Pic 3 - We set up near the windsock

Pic 4 - Fred explaining the finer points of his trimming to Mick before it flew so well it went AWOL

Pic 5 - A wonderful collection of unorthodox models , the model they are starting is an Oni which I remember building in my youth. There's seemed to be doing better than mine

Pic 6 - George Woolls Ace of Diamonds ( Thanks Bill - see later post ) This flew very well and as the wind increased it just seemed to involve longer walks

Re: Modelair Scale Weekend Old Warden 2021
« Last Edit: July 24, 2021, 04:47:08 PM by Squirrelnet » Logged
Squirrelnet
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2021, 03:26:58 PM »

Some more pics

Pic 1 - A lovely Hacker Piper Cub with Gasparin GM120 power. A lovely little model and one of the few scale models in the FF area

Pic 2 - A nice collection of vintage rubber models

Pic 3 - What OW days are all about to me a real mixture of scale, semi scale , vintage and experimental models

Pic 4 - My favourite model of the day on many levels. This is 1939 Scientific kit bought by mate Bob at a past OW .Its a Miss America but reduced in size.  The kit featured card wing ribs and even plans to build the 'Sparkie engine

Pic 5 - Bob changed the ribs to balsa but faithfully built the Sparkie engine according to the kit plan

Pic 6 - The model is of course rubber powered and even features a ratchet clicker on the prop shaft to imitate the Sparkie sound. The wind postponed a maiden..but hopefully tomorrow
Squirrelnet
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2021, 03:45:39 PM »

Ok scale time :-)

Or should that be fantasy scale time ?

Pic 1 - First up Ron with his amazing WW2 German jet, test glides only today but looking good

Pic 2 - The wonderful world of Rob's 'if only' model's. This is a radial engined Mustang as may have been preferred by the US Navy painted in Navy dazzle pattern

Pic 3 - There actually was a swept foward wing version tried on the Mustang , so here's the radial engined version

Pic 4 - The Fairy Battle is now seen as a bit of a failure but here's Rob's answer the Fairy Battle-axe a Mercury engined twin

Pic 5 - This is a Rotordyne . It is powered by 3 rapiers, one on each rotor and need 5 people to launch !! Again promises of tomorrow's maiden  Grin

Pic 6 - A KK Gemini in US Navy dazzle camouflage. Rob prints the covering onto layout paper using a laser printer
Squirrelnet
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2021, 03:54:17 PM »

And finally for today some more of Ron Johnson's rubber 'jets'

Pic 1- Ron's very pretty 50's style jet

Pic 2 - jet being wound

Pic 3 - Rons OD flying wing 'jet' which flew very well in the blustery conditions

I have some video too but I'll do that later from both days... more fun tomorrow Grin
Russ Lister
Palladium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2021, 04:03:01 PM »

Thanks for posting, Chris ... looking forward to tomorrow even more now!
Great to see some of the 'usual suspects' there .... I hope that Ron and Rob are there for the weekend.

Anyone with a bungee launch? ..... still about the only model I have flying  Roll Eyes
Russ Lister
Palladium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2021, 04:05:40 PM »

.... and the car looks great. I guess that you have talked cars with Paul Briggs before?
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 166

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2021, 04:20:45 PM »

Great stuff, Chris. Really glad you're having a good weekend. I look forward to tomorrow's report although, sadly, I won't be able to make it after all this time.
billdennis747
Palladium Member

Kudos: 68

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2021, 04:23:21 PM »

Is pic 6 a George Woolls Ace of Diamonds? Looks like you were playing aerial golf between the trees/shed and the trade stands
I just loaded the car for tomorrow. There is a noise under the bonnet but I can turn the radio up.
Mike Smith
Bronze Member

I use "The Force"

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2021, 04:23:54 PM »

Chris
Do happen to have Ron's contact details for my email list. Hopefully he will be there tomorrow for me to ask.
Mike
Mike Smith
Bronze Member

I use "The Force"

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2021, 04:25:45 PM »

Bill
It is the spiders and cobwebs after all this time.
Mike
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 166

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2021, 04:35:27 PM »

I just loaded the car for tomorrow. There is a noise under the bonnet but I can turn the radio up.
If you've still got the Skoda then it'll be fine. I find they they run best with the engine warning light on.
Squirrelnet
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2021, 04:37:10 PM »

Mike  - Ron and Rob are camping so will be there tomorrow

Russ - No didn't know Paul Briggs was a car person

Bill - hopefully the noise is the neighbours cat and it will like the Archers anyway..

Pete - I'll send some pics of us huddling under an umbrella  - Hope to catch up soon
Russ Lister
Palladium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2021, 04:46:02 PM »

Chris,
Another one of those ' I may have a photo' moments!
I'm hoping that he is in good health ... he usually goes to OW in his Sprite (not going to commit to the model ... hope I have the Sprite bit right.)
A beautiful car.

Pete,
That's a shame  Sad
Russ Lister
Palladium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2021, 04:49:39 PM »

A link for you, Chris

http://midwebsite.ahcmid.biz/reports/2017-2/midlands-concours-2017/   
Squirrelnet
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2021, 04:56:23 PM »

Haven't seen Paul's Sprite I will keep an eye out.

There was a guy I met at OW few years ago who came in his late 1930's MG N type Magnette, he took the passenger seat out so he could fit the models in, cracking stuff ... bit of a closet old car nut I'm afraid I even had my dad's 1931 MG F Magna for while. In the end 1960 sports cars do it for me - practical fun
Squirrelnet
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2021, 04:59:00 PM »

Ours posts crossed there

A very nice - a 1958-61 Mk1 Frogeye Sprite. Mine is a later 1968 MkIV Sprite
Russ Lister
Palladium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2021, 05:04:11 PM »

I love these cars .... but I can't even keep my little C1 clean so I leave cars to my eldest son.
He is currently scaring me with his Yaris 'homologation special'!
billdennis747
Palladium Member

Kudos: 68

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2021, 05:19:58 PM »

Paul sold the Sprite. He's now working on an Austin 7
Russ Lister
Palladium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2021, 05:24:03 PM »

Thanks Bill .... I've not seen Paul for a good while so I thought there was a chance that my comments were dated.
NorthloopCup
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2021, 06:36:20 PM »

Nice to meet you today Chris and have a good chat! Hopefully next year I’ll have the Mosquito!
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: