Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 17, 2021, 09:00:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Modelair Scale Weekend Old Warden 2021  (Read 841 times)
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 192

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2021, 08:59:31 PM »

Thanks for that great coverage Chris. You fellows will be worn out after all the fun and laughter.

That would have been a good add for a Sprite Boot.

John
THB
Gold Member

Kudos: 27

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2021, 04:27:48 AM »

Looks like a lot of fun - thanks for the pix!

Tim
"Life is what happens while you're busy making other planes."
Squirrelnet
Platinum Member

Kudos: 56

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2021, 01:53:51 PM »

Ok some more pics from Sunday at the Scale Weekend

Some scale models this time....

Pic 1 - Bill Dennis wonderful array of models and not a sport design in site . The Caprioni performed very well in light breeze

Pic 2 - Mike and Phil Smith , Mike's Saunders Roe was cruising around nicely too

Pic 3 -  Mike Stuart's collection for the day, I missed the Howard taking to the air, the wonderful Quantas liveried twin put in some lovely flights ( apologies Mike I can't remember what it is ) as did the Malstrom HP Dart Herald

Pic 4 -Peter Smart winding the Beriev water bomber for another very successful flight

Pic 5 - very smart looking Bellanca Aircruiser

Pic 6 - A couple from Chris Strachan
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Modelair Scale Weekend Old Warden 2021
« Last Edit: July 25, 2021, 02:44:03 PM by Squirrelnet » Logged
Squirrelnet
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2021, 02:05:41 PM »

Sunday also saw the running of the Ebenezer competition postponned from the cancelled Mayfly.

Fairly good turn out of entries though not as high as previous years, possibly due to the rather imposing forecast of thunderstorms ( which didn't happen here)

As always 3 judges selected from the crowd select 5 or 6 models to fly in fly off to decide the winner.  The wonderful rotor powered rocket by Phil Worth, after a stunning flight ( I have video which I'll post later ) came through the joint winner with...er.. my Dastardly Ebenezer , which just goes to prove you can't ignore the draw of a cartoon character on a model  Wink

Pic 1 - Ebenezer entries

Pic 2 - Phil Worth's winning rotor rocket centre frame

Pic 3 - Dastardly strikes again

Pic 4 - Phil's other models include a very nice flying Rotordyne

Squirrelnet
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2021, 02:55:42 PM »

Pic 1 - Mark Deans collection of models. The model Mark is working on looked like, and flew like a combat model that had broken free of it's lines, very fast, very aerobatic and looking like huge fun

Pic 2 - Interesting take on a scale model !!

Pic 3 - A very nicely engineered Veron Snipe for electric RC Assist, fantastic build quality and a beautifully stable flyer. It's sitting alongside everyone's favourite RC assist model the Vic Smeed Tomboy

Pic 4 - Miss 35 and Vic Smeed Lola for RC assist

Pic 5 - A very nice Mini Robot. The Robot is such a familiar design in my mind unyet I have never built one , I think it must be subliminally planted from all the adverts for Veron in the Aeromodellers of my youth

« Last Edit: July 25, 2021, 03:15:12 PM by Squirrelnet » Logged
Squirrelnet
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2021, 03:12:18 PM »

Last few from me and all FF

Pic 1 - nicely turned out Scam

Pic 2 - In a departure from his supremely crafted scale models, this is Mike Smith's new model ... Cheap as chips from Bang Good and a great flyer too..I might have to get one of those

Pic 3 - This is an OD design by the modeller in true spirit of the great designs of the 1950's. This one's called a Plover and is powered by CS Mills from Steve Webb Models

Pic 4 - From the same designer another model, now over 20 years old, that was built to be survivor with sheet fuselage sturdy wingspars designed to survive nesting in a tree. It seems to have worked very well, the model was immaculate and has been extensively flown. MP Jet powered

I have some video of the two days which I'll sort out this week and post later
« Last Edit: July 25, 2021, 03:50:43 PM by Squirrelnet » Logged
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 166

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2021, 03:18:06 PM »

Great stuff again, Chris. What a lovely eclectic collection of models! Thanks for posting and big congrats on the winnernezer! Dastardly is fast becoming an Old Warden legend!
(Who won the Stahl comp btw?)
Squirrelnet
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2021, 03:59:53 PM »

(Who won the Stahl comp btw?)

Apologies I forgot to check, I got a bit wound up in catching up with people I haven't seen for a year and flying my vintage sport model ( despite bringing loads of scale models with me...where did the time go ). Great event though, roll on September's OW meeting
Invader3
Silver Member

Kudos: 10

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2021, 04:01:22 PM »

And the "Dastardly" man himself after the comp.......... Cheesy

(And a nice gesture by Chris well appreciated by the audience to let Phil have the Ebeneezer Trophy as he already had his name on it. Kudos, Chris!)
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 192

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2021, 08:16:26 PM »

Where did the time go? It's hard to imagine how you managed to catch all these models, fly and talk as well! However thanks for doing it - for someone unlikely to ever visit Old Warden - you have really conveyed the atmosphere.

John
DHnut
Gold Member

Kudos: 21

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2021, 10:49:39 PM »

Chris,
        Well done, you have really captured the spirit of Ebeneezer. Much as I like some of the more imaginative flying machines somehow the models that are of the same genere appeal more or am I just conservitive in taste. The Sprite looks very purposful and brings back memories of my move from Brize Norton to Swanton Morley with all my then worldly goods. The only diffeerence was that I had a boot rack. Good to see activity returning after your long lockdown.
Ricky

Russ Lister
Free Flight Modeller .... sub 250g!
Palladium Member

Kudos: 75

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2021, 03:21:41 AM »

Thanks for the photos, Chris .... and congrats on the Ebeneezer win  Smiley

I watched some of the presentations,  but I'm afraid that I'm not sure who won what.

I managed a few flights with my 36" glider ... all together it was a very enjoyable day.
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 47

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2021, 03:58:21 AM »

Very nice of you to go to all that effort Chris.  And very nice also to see it was well supported I hope making the Shepherds feel their efforts are still worthwhile.   Enthusiasm among aeromodellers is still there then!
Russ Lister
Palladium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2021, 07:07:24 AM »

I think I am right in saying that Mike Stuart was this year's winner of the Credgington trophy with his Dash 8?
ffscale
Gold Member

Kudos: 37

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2021, 10:26:06 AM »

I think I am right in saying that Mike Stuart was this year's winner of the Credgington trophy with his Dash 8?

You are correct Russ - I was extremely surprised to win the trophy as although the Dash 8 put in some good flights, its light weight meant it did get buffeted around a bit by the wind.  On one flight I was sure I was going to lose it in one of the tall trees at the far side of the field as it flew dead straight downwind towards them.  At the last minute it turned left and floated down to earth (it nay even have hit a branch which turned it around).  A lucky escape anyway.

I also won the Earl Stahl high wing event with my newly finished Howard DGA 8.  Nick Peppiatt won the low wing class with his Magister.  John Ashmole was very happy that entries to the Earl Stahl comp. were higher than usual this year, so hopefully the future of the event has been secured.

It was so nice to be out flying again and great to catch up with lots of friends I hadn't seen since 2019.

Mike S
Jez Wilkins
Silver Member

Kudos: 2

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2021, 11:12:38 AM »

Thanks for taking the time and trouble Chris/Squirrelnet to post the pictures and report.  Much appreciated.

Cheers,

Jez Wilkins
vintagemike
Gold Member

Kudos: 10

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2021, 11:26:46 AM »

Sounds like everyone had a good time, unfortunately Ive had to run partner into and out of Hospital and cat to emergency vet so couldnt come. Oh well theres always next year I suppose
billdennis747
Palladium Member

Kudos: 68

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2021, 01:43:11 PM »

It was a very good day. BUT I missed SAMS models. Where can we get things like rubber model props - those nice white ones, or the Peck grey ones that we used to get from Kevin?
Squirrelnet
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: July 26, 2021, 03:04:17 PM »

I felt the loss of SAMS too, it's a role VMC don't appear to be that interested in...good news for Mike Woodhouse I guess

Ok here is my video of the weekend. As usual not the best flights, apart from some of the competition ones at the end, just the ones I had my phone out for and was able to film while not flying myself.

Phil Worth's Focke Wulf Triebflugel is utterly amazing, no gyro or trickery just electric motors on the tips of the rotors. I had to look it up so just incase you do too  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Focke-Wulf_Triebfl├╝gel his Fairy Rotordyne is pretty impressive too both fine flyers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lk45Y-QRPgs

Thanks for nice comments and thanks for the pic John. I tried to get one of your great Cessna Bird Dog with electric power but sadly failed, it was flying so well
Mike Smith
Bronze Member

Kudos: 3

I use "The Force"

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: July 26, 2021, 03:20:58 PM »

Keep an eye on your email inboxes. I will soon send out a Brief covering O.W. I have included a link for the video on it.

If anyone can think of a modeller that would be interested in receiving these Briefs (not M&S) please let me, or them know. Up to 77 now.
Mike
Rich Moore
Platinum Member

Kudos: 46

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: July 26, 2021, 03:31:16 PM »

It was a great weekend - I thought there would be little chance of flying because of the forecast, but managed plenty of flights on both days. I can't believe it is 8 years since I was last at OW. I also got to discover the Swiss Gardens for the first time, and the Muntjac deer in the parkland. The Red Kites were also amazing...so much to enjoy...

« Last Edit: July 26, 2021, 03:44:40 PM by Rich Moore » Logged

It wasn't me
piecost
Gold Member

Kudos: 12

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: July 26, 2021, 03:58:38 PM »

Thanks guys for posting pictures and videos. It somewhat makes up for not being able to attend.
Russ Lister
Palladium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: July 26, 2021, 04:13:33 PM »

It was a very good day. BUT I missed SAMS models. Where can we get things like rubber model props - those nice white ones, or the Peck grey ones that we used to get from Kevin?

Talking about props, I've been carrying that IC prop in my box .... forgot to give it to you, sorry!
billdennis747
Palladium Member

Kudos: 68

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: July 26, 2021, 04:37:49 PM »

It was a great weekend - I thought there would be little chance of flying because of the forecast, but managed plenty of flights on both days. I can't believe it is 8 years since I was last at OW. I also got to discover the Swiss Gardens for the first time, and the Muntjac deer in the parkland. The Red Kites were also amazing...so much to enjoy...

Now I'm getting worried. I know I'm face-blind but I didn't see you, Rich. I hope I didn't blunder past you!
Rich Moore
Platinum Member

Kudos: 46

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: July 26, 2021, 04:57:39 PM »

Now I'm getting worried. I know I'm face-blind but I didn't see you, Rich. I hope I didn't blunder past you!

I was in stealth mode - clean-shaven and wearing a hat. I should have come over to say hello - nearly did at one point, but you were surrounded at the time! You may be face-blind, but maybe you saw my Comet Me109 or Oxford racing SE5 toodling about.

It wasn't me
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Print
Jump to: