Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 07, 2021, 01:38:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
 
Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: An Orgy of Repairs  (Read 395 times)
0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
kittyfritters
Gold Member
*****

Kudos: 21
Offline Offline

United States United States

Posts: 595


Topic starter
WWW

Ignore
« on: September 01, 2021, 01:31:45 AM »

Last weekend I had intended to take a break from my prototyping and home improvement efforts and just go flying.  Looking around the shop I realized that I didn't have anything to fly in a local FAC contest.  All the older prototypes and contest models that I had been flying were either suffering from too many field repairs or hangar rash.  Even my demo models were rather beat up.  This needed correction.

A big part of the problem was that I had not paid enough attention to storage and transportation.  I'm working on this also but there is so much involved with this that I will put it into another thread.

I cleared the prototypes I was working on off the bench and started evaluating the tired models.  Realizing that I had some new demo models in process I also emptied my trash can next to the bench since some of the models would not  be worth repairing...decision time.  This is not a part of the hobby we like to talk about.

My OE-2 demo had a broken motor stick.  Since I have revised the OE-2 with a lifting tail (less nose weight, better glide) and no laminated wood (no curved wing tips or tail outlines so doesn't need it, lighter) the OE-2 went in the can.  The second incarnation of my Legal Eagle had some damage and doesn't fly that well anyway so in it went.  My demo F7U also had a broken motor stick.  I have another one in process with the new pre-printed white skin so in the can.

My Bostillation that had been converted into an autogyro could be an airplane again so I glued the center tail back on, removed the rotor mast (just rubber banded on)  and reinstalled the wing.  My original Bostillation needed some tissue patching but was otherwise OK. Since some of my customers fly the Bostillation as an Embryo I will put wheel pants and exhaust stacks on one of them.  In the Bostillation box I discovered a Guillow's 500 series Hellcat that I started about a decade ago.  It was simply in need of paint and markings but the canopy yellowed and cracked so I will have to order another canopy to finish it.

My actual Embryo, Wright Amount of Wrong, prototypes had gotten pretty beat up.  They both needed recovering.  Upon examination I found field repairs to the most recent one had turned the fuselage into a banana so it went into the can.  The other one is being recovered with the new pre-printed skins.

My Double Trouble demo is flyable, even though it has field repairs from having a winder dropped on it at the field.  However, I built a new, current level, fuselage for a demonstration so I will finish that one with pre-printed skins as my demo and just fly the other one for fun.  (There is another Double Trouble that is slightly fatter to accommodate a motor, battery, receiver and servos but that's not going to be flying until next year.)

The Satellite demo/prototypes are a flyable but need some work.  The original, high wing, prototype of the Satellite was in good shape except that the V tail had gotten squashed, so I built a new one from a production mis-cut sheet (yes I do save the mis-cuts for personal use) and will fly that one for fun.

After this is finished and I have things that I am not embarrassed to fly it's back to work.

KF
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
An Orgy of Repairs
An Orgy of Repairs
An Orgy of Repairs
An Orgy of Repairs
An Orgy of Repairs
Logged

Qua sublata omnia praecepta legis
Kiwi
Bronze Member
***

Kudos: 6
Offline Offline

New Zealand New Zealand

Posts: 97




Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2021, 05:40:51 PM »

I'm a firm believer in this approach and every so often I go through  my collection of damaged models, nearly done ones and projects. I make a list of them all and then next to each one an itemized list of jobs outstanding on each one.( I think this is a throwback to my days as an aircraft engineer) As each task is completed I cross it off and all of a sudden you look at your list and think, " you know if I did those two minor jobs and glued that windshield down properly ,which will only take 10 minutes, that one will be ready to go" Net result another flyer and more space on the bench. I find by crossing the jobs off I get a sense of visible progress and I don't tend to push them to one side to be done "later". The list can also be useful for when you make up your next order so you don't end up with "darn ,I should have ordered XYZ  as well"
Just my two cents worth.
NM
Logged
kittyfritters
Gold Member
*****

Kudos: 21
Offline Offline

United States United States

Posts: 595


Topic starter
WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2021, 12:53:35 AM »

Here is what the recovered Wright Amount of Wrong looks like.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: An Orgy of Repairs
Logged

Qua sublata omnia praecepta legis
Don McLellan
Titanium Member
*******

Kudos: 69
Online Online

Canada Canada

Posts: 2,559




Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2021, 11:59:22 AM »

Beautiful Wright Amount of Wrong KF!  Very, very nice printed tissue.
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!