Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 02, 2021, 01:51:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Captain Midnights "Spartan Bomber"  (Read 1358 times)
Dan Snow
Gold Member

Kudos: 33

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2021, 05:28:23 AM »

Sorry about the delay in progress reports, been spending the last week fighting strep throat. Finally on the mend, but it weren't fun!!  Angry

Anyway, first shot shows the wing panels covered, and the buck for the vacu-formed windscreen is in progress.

Second shows the insignia on the wing bottom.

I have to admit an "Oh Sh*t!" senior moment. I only had barely enough of the bright yellow to do the wing and stab. So I covered the stab, then printed and covered the bottom of the wing panels. But even after double, then triple checking the layout I managed to layout and print the insignia for the wing top in an orientation that rendered the tissue useless. Damn!

It was wait 1-2 weeks to order tissue on line, (local Hobby Shop has minimal scratch building/covering supplies) or use some of the paler yellow I had on hand. Since I won't be competing any where with this model, and very few if any other "local" modelers will ever see it, I used what was available to me!!
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Captain Midnights "Spartan Bomber"

"Curse you Red Baron!!"  - Snoopy
ZK-AUD
Platinum Member

Kudos: 61

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2021, 06:17:55 AM »

Looking good Dan. The flat sheet windscreen as laid out in the plan actually wraps around nicely. I used plastic from the window of a Krispy Kreme donut box on mine.  Of course your vac formed approach takes the stress out of the gluing process but if that’s the reason I can help there too. I tape my canopy on with small strips of Tamiya yellow masking tape and then wick in thinned RC560 latex canopy glue with a small brush. Pull the tape off when it’s dry. The advantage is being able to get it perfectly positioned while dry. So no smears.
Dan Snow
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2021, 07:25:35 AM »

Hi ZK_AUD
My issue with the windscreen was that the pattern supplied on the plans was way too small, almost 3/32-1/8" all around.  I tried enlarging the pattern a couple of times but didn't like the fit. If the vacu-form doesn't work I'm only out maybe an hour of work and some plastic and I can try the pattern again.

Dan Snow
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2021, 05:23:02 AM »

Still waiting for my order of Solvaset decal fixative to arrive (projected to be delivered sometime between today and Monday!) so I can get back to the Bomber. Stay tuned!!

Don McLellan
Titanium Member

Kudos: 69

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2021, 02:25:08 PM »

Hi Dan,

Suggest doing a test with the decals and solvaset before you 'do' the decals on the model.  I've had some issues with decals wrinkling after using solvaset.

Cheers,
Don
Dan Snow
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2021, 04:30:40 AM »

Did a test, seemed to be okay, so applied the decals and the solvaset. After drying overnight I have to say I'm very pleased with the result.

Dan Snow
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2021, 04:53:04 AM »

While I wait for a couple of small items ordered from Volare, and while getting distracted by CLG's and the Nickel Scale offerings from Volare, I finally started working on getting the prop ready.

And, immediately ran into a quandry. How do I attach the prop to the spinner? Can someone please point me to a thread or photo essay of putting prop and spinner together?  Any assistance will be greatly appreciated. I've cogitated on a couple different ideas, but they seemed awfully rube goldberg-ish!

Thanks again,
Dan

Dan Snow
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2021, 05:08:44 AM »

No one? Surely someone out in Hippocketland has created a prop and spinner assembly and is willing to share?  Grin

Thanks

GM
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2021, 07:46:14 AM »

Check out Georges Pzl build thread.

He uses two pegs and magnets to join the cone to the backplate.

Re: PZL P.24 Hellenic Air Force
« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2020, 06:51:29 PM »

https://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/hpa_forum/index.php?topic=25134.25
Crabby
Titanium Member

Kudos: 141

I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2021, 10:11:50 AM »

Dan, after measuring carefully with a compass, calipers and micrometer, grab the nearest sharp object, and whack the $#it out of it till it fits. Gob some glue on it. Remember the scientific sequencing of steps, prepare to redo as soon as it flings off into the soft tall grass. Remember to stop by the picnic blanket for some cold chicken, a glass of merlot and some gentle love-making, accompanied by soft music on the piccolo. Then forget the whole thing. That is my advice.

The Threadkiller!
ZK-AUD
Platinum Member

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2021, 01:14:54 PM »

Dan I’ve gone down this track a lot. Have a good look through my Avetek Pilatus PC9 thread. https://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/hpa_forum/index.php?topic=21457.50#lastPost #61-69 in particular which deals with fitting a spinner and freewheel to a plastic prop
« Last Edit: November 24, 2021, 01:26:26 PM by ZK-AUD » Logged
ZK-AUD
Platinum Member

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2021, 01:28:30 PM »

In the PC9 thread you'll see a link to my Bristol Scout build where there's more good stuff about freewheels and such at around reply #69
Crabby
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2021, 06:17:20 PM »

Also, get a look at the Duco Gurus' Sea Hornet build. About halfway in he gets into it. Of course he carves his props but still there is some value to checking it out

The Threadkiller!
Crabby
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2021, 07:05:35 PM »

Also, if you don't mind my triple-dip, Check out the very simple way its done in the Peck-Polymers P-51 kit. Its really easy to over-think

The Threadkiller!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: