Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
October 18, 2021, 04:32:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Ritz (Easy Built) with RC rudder  (Read 468 times)
Flyguy
Gold Member

Kudos: 44

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: October 06, 2021, 04:20:49 PM »

I haven't really done any building in awhile, was working on the Wasp but got a bit stalled. To ease back into it I thought I'd do something simple that I've been thinking about for some time - the Ritz, I have the Easy Built model kit. I want to modify it for RC rudder so that I can fly it in our tiny local field here in midtown NYC. My friend Tom finished his, you can see some quick test flights in the middle of my last flying video (determined to get out again this year!): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htJjrp7ICaw  looks like a lot of fun! I like that I can just grab it and the transmitter if I want to run out and do some quick tests. My main motivation was that this way it should also be clear to onlookers that it's rubber powered, they always think it's some sort of electric (because the rubber motor is inside the fuselage), no one has ever guessed (in 10 years!) that it's rubber.

Built it over the weekend, first pic is the basic structure. I modified it (like Tom) to have a single rudder for the RC - one could also do the twin-fin and I know some people like that, but I never liked the look of chopped off stabs. For the stab, I just reduced the wingtips slightly to keep the same shape and added that on. For the fin, I enlarged the wingtips slightly (widened them up a little), to again keep the same shape.

For the front end, I just built up some balsa so that it can take a 9 1/2" gizmo prop and clear the stick, second photo.

Third photo shows how I did the removable landing gear, I used .032 instead of .047 as shown on the plan, might have to up that to .040 if it splays too much but right now it looks like I can get away with it. I used hardwood to make a slot and then used my usual ply hold-down pin, nylon screw is mounted on the side with a small piece of additional hardwood, last photo. Used some old plastic wheels I found in my collection that aren't too heavy.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
The Ritz (Easy Built) with RC rudder
Flyguy
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2021, 06:55:59 PM »

Here's a shot of the bones ready for covering, working on that now (can't play hooky again tomorrow). I used 1/32" ply for the servo mount (furthest back) and the receiver/switch, all held in with a little 5 minute epoxy (you can replace the servo if need be that way, but not with CA). With the equipment, model as shown weighs about 30 something grams. Also sitting there are the nose and wheels for the Wasp and the nose and wheels for the Chambermaid, doping them to make a little progress.
Re: The Ritz (Easy Built) with RC rudder
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Kudos: 192

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2021, 07:04:50 PM »

Interesting - it should be a real floater with all that wing area and such a light weight!

John
Flyguy
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2021, 09:10:18 PM »

My thoughts exactly John, let's see, I'll try to get out for some tests ASAP, but of course I have to finish it first! I should say for any future builders, I'm not happy I used the supplied 1/16" for the stab, it's flat but 1/16" is just too flimsy, using laminated like Tom did is the ultimate, I'd simply make it fairly sturdy 1/8" all around next time, I did that for the fin and that came out really nice.

Might as well post a picture while here, here's a shot with the equipment attached and the motor unwound, I used a T-hook for the rear attachment. Nice part about the gizmo is that you don't have to necessarily braid the motor and it doesn't end up hanging real loose.
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2021, 06:59:53 PM »

The sculptured nose blocks look like they may have been a feature of these early stick models.

Just finished reading your post re Teaneck and your indoor flying. Another hassle of the times.

John

Flyguy
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2021, 05:48:53 PM »

The sculptured nose blocks look like they may have been a feature of these early stick models.

John
That's an interesting thought, I'll have to take a look to see what they used on those early models, probably not as fat as mine unless they were using a big nose button! After streamlining it, I kind of thought it looked like a motorcycle gas tank (or maybe I've been watching too much American Pickers), I was tempted to paint it black and put Harley on it! But I don't want to distract from the rubber power.

Painted the stab and fin yesterday, used 'Lilac' just-for-flowers, I really like it, a nice translucent purple-ish, that's what I wanted for the Comet Pepper, but the Purple Pansy turned out to be opaque (not transparent as labeled!). I'll use it on some more planes. Just have to cover and paint the wing and we're ready to go! Tom did some test flights of his Ritz in the East River Park on Thursday and it was looking pretty good, so I'm looking forward to getting out.

I bought some reconstituted wood shelves which took forever to make but arrived today, got busy putting those up and populating them with other projects!
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2021, 08:49:05 PM »

I kind of thought it looked like a motorcycle gas tank (or maybe I've been watching too much American Pickers), I was tempted to paint it black and put Harley on it! But I don't want to distract from the rubber power.
    Cheesy

The bones look very artistic on the shelves Larry! All you need now is for your finished flying models to be suspended from the ceiling to finish off the effect Smiley Years ago when I was starting into control line - I visited a fellow who had all his models hanging from the picture rail on all 4 walls, in his lounge room.

John
Flyguy
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2021, 01:04:21 AM »

Well the main purpose of the shelves is that I always have finished parts lying around and I wanted to have some place to put them while I finish the rest of the plane, instead of scattered all over the kitchen! Hopefully I can clear the shelves off as I finish the models, in which case they go into a flying (or storage) box. I've got enough bones lying around (the Senator bones are in the basement, picture shows the Wasp and Chambermaid bones) at this point that it's hard to rationalize building something new without finishing something up! though I just like building ...
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2021, 08:34:15 PM »

Smiley

John
Flyguy
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2021, 06:20:15 PM »

OK, finished! Total weight including everything (equipment) except the battery and rubber motor is 45.1 grams, so it's lighter than my usual oldtimer. I used 'just for flowers' lilac, nice color, good transparency. Hard not to give it a toss in the apartment! I'll probably run out tomorrow, Tuesday, just to get some hand glides in. The wing is glued on with ambroid so that I can dissolve it and move the wing if need be, then fix it more permanently. Wednesday looks calm in the morning, so Tom and I are going to get out for a flying session, I'll try to get some video. Got a lot of the 'stupid' out with this build, so hopefully I'm ready to return to the harder stuff!
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2021, 07:23:52 PM »

The mylar tightens well. I couldn't see any sag between the ribs on the wings. I think you could set a new flight time record at your park with this model.

Happy flying.

John

Flyguy
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2021, 09:29:50 PM »

No, you don't get sag between the ribs, plus there's a spar there anyway, but yes you can normally tighten it up nicely. This covering job isn't up to my usual standards for several reasons - the main one being the 1/16" outlines are too weak to deal with much shrinking, so I just got it as smooth as I could and left some little imperfections, focused instead on keeping the wing fairly flat.

Flight time records at my little park - I think that will always be for the Coupes (and Wake) - 6+ minutes on many occasions, though the P30 has also done 5+ when there's a little good air around. I don't think the Ritz can be blasted up to 200 ft. like the oldtimers, so I'm going for a more steady climb, but we'll find out.
Flyguy
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2021, 11:23:08 AM »

Some updates. I got out last week just with the Ritz in a bag to do a few tests. Glide looked OK, did a few winds and that looked alright, but it bumped the nose a bit on the landing and I was surprised that the tail boom just popped right off, didn't look like it hit that hard. So I re-attached it with some 1/32" wire and then glued 1/16" x 1/8" bass on the side and bottom as reinforcements. Got out again this week and did some more test flights. After adjustments, was looking good and I got up to about 100 hand winds; the Ritz made a nice circle around the field, but stalled at the end and bumped the nose and much to my amazement the tail boom broke again! so that's twice.

Tom had exactly the same problem, his tailboom also broke twice on two different test sessions and so he replaced it with Paulownia, a very stiff light wood, which I think is a good choice. I don't have any of that, but I also don't want another broken tailboom, so I replaced it with a light carbon 1/8" tube, photo attached, which is very strong, everything else will break before the tail boom!

In all fairness to the Ritz, if you're flying on a grass field, like I'm sure they were in the 40's, then you likely won't have this problem. The astroturf offers very little padding and there's concrete under it, so you really get some shock when you hit on the nose, unlike 20 years ago when this field was actually grass - back then it would just dig into the dirt, which offers a lot of cushioning!
OZPAF
Palladium Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2021, 07:44:26 PM »

So take that you boom breaking Astroturf!  Smiley

The grass would have been nice - a small oasis of nature.

Here's hoping you are able to get it up and flying.

John
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: