Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
October 19, 2021, 05:41:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: First Coupe  (Read 499 times)
WayneB
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: October 10, 2021, 05:46:40 AM »

Interested in building a coupe, never built one before & never flown one before. Any suggestions for what model,
Not wanting to set the world on fire or wanting to reinvent the wheel just something to learn with.
Thanks for any info, regards to all.
Wayne.
PeeTee
Titanium Member

Kudos: 52

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2021, 11:57:04 AM »

Hello Wayne

Coupes are wonderful models to fly, yesterday saw the Croydon Coupe competition held at Salisbury Plain and the weather was excellent. We could help you better if we knew what sort of coupe you intended to fly, for example in the UK there is Vintage Coupe (up to Dec 1956), 1960s Coupe (Hip Pocket arranges this, to be more accurate Mark Braunlich (sp?) organises and runs this), and the rest comes under the heading of F1G, the FAI class.

Gavin Manion, Don Thompson, Ray Elliott and Bill Dennis all subscribe to Hip Pocket and would be happy to give advice- and me of course. Finally, where are you located?

Peter

Red Buzzard
Silver Member

Kudos: 4

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2021, 12:49:45 PM »

Hi Wayne,

The 1960's Postal Coupe by Mark Braunlich that Pee Tee mentions is a hoot. The neat part about it is the wealth of stuff on the thread here in Hippocket. At about 40 pages it can really get you revved up. To say nothing of international fame (but little fortune). The comp just completed as it includes both northern and southern hemispheres. Give it a look.

Bill
billdennis747
Palladium Member

Kudos: 69

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2021, 01:49:22 PM »

I agree with all that has been said. A low-tech coupe from the 60s can be surprisingly competitive even now. I've had a lot of fun with a Baron Knight  (https://outerzone.co.uk/search/results.asp?keyword=baron+knight)   but in truth they all go well so choose something you will enjoy building, and can build light.
The two vital bits are to make a good job of the propellor and keep the airframe close to 70g. To do this, choose each piece of wood carefully to do its job, then put it back and pick something lighter.
Mark Braunlich
Platinum Member

Kudos: 85

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2021, 03:01:43 PM »

This is page 1 of the second thread for the 1960s Coupe d'Hiver Postal event.  Rules don't change from year to year.  For folks living north of the equator, the contest runs 1 Dec through 31 March.

https://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/hpa_forum/index.php?topic=16375.0

Mark
WayneB
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2021, 05:25:15 PM »

Hello PeeTee,
 I was at Salisbury plain yesterday and yes the weather was great. I was trying out an E36 that Chris Redrup has been helping me with, Many thanks Chris. I had a good day but did not go fully to plan, I met Ray who kindly offered me another E36 for a donation, Thanks Ray.

On the way home in the car after watching the flights during the day I was thinking well maybe I could build a coupe. I had a look at Chris R model plus the others on the flight line and there are varying types and building techniques and complexity. I think the F1G are great but quite a lot of bits that move, I looked at a vintage Etienvre that I was told was the vintage weapon of choice. The 1960’s coupe not sure I have seen one, some look very modern rolled fuse others look quite old school.

I think something not to complicated to get on with would be a good idea as only just getting into free flight E36, Even though have flown R/C for years.
Thanks for the advice Bill and congratulations on your top Brit in the postal comp. Many thanks Mark for your link to the 1060’s postal comp pages, I’ve had a quick look and loads of info in there so thanks again.

If I saw anyone at Salisbury plain yesterday and didn’t introduce myself and was being nosey, sorry about that. Thanks again for the replies.
Regards Wayne.
Sorry PeeTee I’m based in Farnborough Hampshire.
WayneB
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2021, 05:28:22 PM »

Red Buzzard Thanks for your reply Bill, will certainly look into this.
Regards Wayne.
airplay
Silver Member

Kudos: 6

Denmark Denmark

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2021, 06:23:05 PM »

I imagine we are talking coupe d'hiver here. As youngster I swallowed Aeromodeller drawings about those models but it never went anywhere... Now I has plenty of time but where do modellers actually fly those marvels?
Jens
lincoln
Titanium Member

Kudos: 38

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2021, 12:17:14 AM »

I've often thought one could make something waterproof and fly it from a boat. I don't think people are going to buy and develop house lots on the ocean just yet.

There's a good flying field about 50 minutes from my house, but some lucky flyers from out west might feel cramped there.

Hummingbird Model Products has a 1950's coupe kit. I seem to recall there's an all sheet 1960's coupe design by Linstrum, or is it Linstrom?
WayneB
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2021, 02:34:50 AM »

Thanks Lincoln, think that’s Cutie Coupe by Dave Linstrum. Found it on outerzone.
Cheers Wayne.
gman
Bronze Member

Kudos: 3

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2021, 01:07:48 PM »

Hi Wayne, Were you also at the substitute nats on the Sunday when coupe was flown? If so then we chatted then. Advice is a dangerous gift...but if I had to give some it would be to build an Etienvre vintage coupe. The plan is on Outerzone and there's a reprint of the Aeromodeller magasine article. Its a pretty simple build for a model which is capable of enough performance to live with modern F1Gs in "normal" British weather, Saturday was not normal.. It is, as you've already remarked, the weapon of choice for Vintage competition. Don't procrastinate, build something, there are plenty of us to help. But don't build an all sheet Coupe, you'd spend the next decade finding the right wood and even then it would be too heavy!
Gavin
WayneB
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2021, 04:05:10 PM »

Thanks for the info Gavin.
WayneB
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2021, 03:35:35 AM »

Morning all, Going through the shed I found a copy of Sky D'Hiver by Jack Darby as mentioned by Mark in his 1060's coupe thread. After looking in the loft I found a fuselage I built for this plan god knows how long ago as forgot I had it along with some ribs etc. So I think I shall see if I can complete this and build a Etienvre as suggested by Gavin as I think this is the best option for me. Thanks for your help and advice all.
Regards Wayne.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: First Coupe
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: