Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
October 19, 2021, 05:29:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: The Enya is gummed up  (Read 256 times)
reyesryder
Nickel Member

Kudos: 0

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: October 12, 2021, 11:21:35 PM »

Hi everyone,

The Enya is gummed up so I was planning on removing the plug and dropping it into some fresh nitro fuel. Mainly methanol in other words!!

Does anyone have a better suggestion in freeing up old glow plug engine??

Thanks in advance!!!
atesus
Gold Member

Kudos: 31

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2021, 11:54:03 PM »

I too use an overnight fresh nitro bath first, then heat the engine up using a heat gun (a hair dryer set to high heat also works) and gently rock the crankshaft back and forth. Mounting a prop ahead of the heating helps with the rocking, but be gentle or the conrod may get damaged. Do not overheat the engine, e.g. a torch is not a good idea Smiley. You may want to use a towel or similar to hold the hot engine. This method has worked on all seized engines I had, glow and diesel.  Good luck!
RolandD6
Gold Member

Kudos: 24

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2021, 12:58:39 AM »

Submerge it in very hot (not boiling) auto gearbox oil. Will take a while depending on how much it is gummed up. The advantage is the the oil will work like 'after run oil' which will prevent corrosion. Remaining methanol and nitro can corrode ball steel components.

Paul
lincoln
Titanium Member

Kudos: 38

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2021, 06:00:03 AM »

One method is to soak the engine in hot automotive anti freeze. I'm not sure, but I think it might need to be overnight or a full day. I used a cheap slow cooker, or whatever those things are called, which I didn't use for anything else. Unfortunately, I unplugged it but forgot to take it out for months, so it corroded. Be sure to rinse and dry thoroughly.,I haven't done it again, because I'be moved away from glo engines. I forget where I read the idea.
Viperkite
Silver Member

Kudos: 2

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2021, 06:54:10 AM »

I boiled a glow engine in water for ten minutes. Took it out and sprayed with WD40, worked at it and repeated until it freed. It took 4 sessions, but it did work.
danberry
Gold Member

Kudos: 17

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2021, 09:29:58 AM »

Use a heat gun -not on high. Use  a wood prop. A couple minutes later it will have softened the oil so it can be wiggled.
Once it will move squirt some GLOW fuel into it and continue working it.
The spray bar will also be full of goo.
dosco
Platinum Member

Kudos: 16

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2021, 12:57:59 PM »

PB Blaster is pretty awesome as a penetrating oil for fasteners. I'm not sure if it dissolves varnish (carb cleaner works for that), however PB Blaster does wiggle into crevices between moving parts.

Would be interested to learn what method you use.

Best-
Dave
Konrad
Titanium Member

Kudos: 39

Measure twice cut once

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2021, 05:42:47 PM »

To be clear. This is not varnish build up. It is just gummed oil, hopefully castor oil.  Light heating is all that is needed to get the parts moving. Do spend a lot of time heating the cylinder to get heat to the upper connecting rod journal.  Once things start to move add some alcohol to dissolve and carry away the gummed oil.

Is this engine a ringed of lapped piston and liner design? If a lapped leaded liner and cast iron piston don't use the polypropylene (anti-freeze) method. This may compromise the piston to liner seal.

Avoid WD 40 in glow engines. WD is not a lubricant! in fact the residual will contaminate the glow plug element. The only value fo WD-40 is that it come in a compressed can.

All the best,

Konrad

Cut it twice and it's still too short!
kittyfritters
Gold Member

Kudos: 21

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2021, 08:18:28 PM »

I drop a gummed up engine into a jar with a 50/50 mix of mineral spirits and ATF and let it soak overnight.  Doesn't matter if it's varnish or just plain dried oil it comes out clean.  In 2007 I used it to free up my Jaguar 2.5cc diesel (German) that had been idle since 1964.

KF 

Qua sublata omnia praecepta legis
Viperkite
Silver Member

Kudos: 2

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2021, 05:34:58 AM »

I should have pointed out I had removed the glowplug before I used WD40 and once it was free I flushed it with glow fuel and then ran the engine on a full tank.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: