Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
January 20, 2022, 03:54:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Scaled Down Classics Cookup  (Read 6377 times)
SP250 and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Russ Lister
Free Flight Modeller .... sub 250g!
Palladium Member

Kudos: 76

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter
Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #275 on: January 08, 2022, 05:25:59 PM »

Yes me too, my wife calls the monthly Mag that drops through the letterbox, the Bumfa post which doesn't have the same ring to it as the Society of Model Aeronautical Engineers

Yes, some self-effacingly refer to us as the 'BumFA Boys' ..... don't know what they are getting at .....

The BMFA magazine gets stick sometimes .... maybe if they read the old SMAE newsletter from the 70s etc. they might change their minds?! I've still got some somewhere ....
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 47

Ignore
« Reply #276 on: January 09, 2022, 06:30:47 AM »

The BMFA magazine gets stick sometimes ....

Yes,  but people should remember that a magazine like that is almost entirely dependant upon contributors.   I wonder too how much of the “stick” is constructive as opposed to destructive.

I thought the term Bumfa boys had largely disappeared  and originally  was confined to the NW of the country - years ago at an event I witnessed someone being reprimanded for using the term by a Council Member.  It was a little embarrassing.  Sticks and stones……..  but another reason for preferring “Society of……”.   I think people who can build and fly a model aeroplane are rather elite.  Membership should be about quality not quantity. 
Squirrelnet
Platinum Member

Kudos: 59

Ignore
« Reply #277 on: January 09, 2022, 12:46:52 PM »

Ok Russ get the highlighter out the the Baby Blue Dragon is done  Grin

The original was 96" span this one is 18" . In the end I did have to add some nose weight to balance the model accurately on the main spar so the AUW less rubber is now 23.3g. Due to the very short nose I have a 5g roll of lead stuffed up inside the dummy cylinder which gives a sort of cylinder head look to the 'engine'. Quite pointy wings too so 1/16" washout to both tips

I'll take your advice Pete and try a 1 1/2 x  1/8" loop first off and see where we go. Hopefully I can test glide in the garden before trying it out indoors next weekend . Very windy here today even taking outdoor shots was a challenge before it blew over so I didn't get a chance to glide it.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Scaled Down Classics Cookup
Russ Lister
Palladium Member

Topic starter
Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #278 on: January 09, 2022, 02:14:46 PM »

I'm shakin' it, boss   Smiley
TheLurker
Platinum Member

Kudos: 38

Ignore
« Reply #279 on: January 09, 2022, 03:25:36 PM »

Quote from: Squirrelnet
...trying it out indoors next weekend .
That definitely looks the part.  Am looking forward to seeing it on Sat. 

I defer to Pete's expertise in these things, but there's only about 22' of headroom at Trinity and it's only a yard or so wider than a basketball court so it may be prudent to have a second, slightly less powerful motor to hand, just in case.

Note to self. Fresh batteries for camera. 

GM
Silver Member

Kudos: 11

Ignore
« Reply #280 on: January 09, 2022, 04:14:44 PM »

Baby Blue Dragon is done  Grin

I too am looking forward to see this Baby Dragon.. If you bring it on the front seat of the MG  ( A la Colonel) don't put the roof down. Grin
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 167

Ignore
« Reply #281 on: January 09, 2022, 04:39:08 PM »

I defer to Pete's expertise in these things...
No! Don't ever do that, not in these things or any things!  Grin
Pit
Palladium Member

Kudos: 133

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #282 on: January 12, 2022, 12:43:37 PM »

Gotta get my tail in gear!  Youse guys are way too far ahead of me Cheesy!

I have at least gotten the tailplane of my Zipper completely framed out, with just sanding and the center sheeting to do.  Also have the starboard wing center panel framed, doing the same mod as ZK-AUD, and have started the tip panel.  Pics will follow soon.

A Dedicated Convert to:
WWWoFF (Wonderfull Wacky World of Free Flight)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
Squirrelnet
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #283 on: January 14, 2022, 02:23:07 PM »

Am looking forward to seeing it on Sat. 

I too am looking forward to see this Baby Dragon

Is it just until 1pm tomorrow ? or is my email from June from Mr B out of date ?...it says 9-1pm (for the moment) is it still the moment ?
TheLurker
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #284 on: January 14, 2022, 03:51:35 PM »

Quote from: Squirrelnet
Am looking forward to seeing it on Sat.  
I too am looking forward to see this Baby Dragon

Is it just until 1pm tomorrow ? or is my email from June from Mr B out of date ?...it says 9-1pm (for the moment) is it still the moment ?

Aye. 09:00-13:00 until the current inconvenience is over.  John Winfield has dropped a heavy hint that we may get back to 10:00 - 15:00 some time this year.  I'm not holding my breath though what with the possibility of new and "interesting" variants.

Cheers,
Lurk
TheLurker
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #285 on: January 15, 2022, 11:28:32 AM »

Film of Squirrelnet's Dragon at Trinity today...

Maiden (ish) flight.              https://vimeo.com/666300691
An early "full power" flight   https://vimeo.com/666301473

Got the impression that it was fairly straight-forward to trim, but I'm sure Chris'll be along in a bit to fill in the details.

It does RoG, but the only clip I've got shows it heading straight into a basket-ball net and there were better flights later, but I was busy elsewhere and wasn't able to film those.  Sorry Chris.

Kevin M
Gold Member

Kudos: 18

Ignore
« Reply #286 on: January 15, 2022, 01:55:31 PM »

I'm very impressed by that Chris, the design appeared to me to me to be a quite a challenge for rubber power. Great result for a first outing! Thanks for capturing that on video Lurk.
ghostler
Silver Member

Kudos: 7

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #287 on: January 15, 2022, 01:57:21 PM »

Lurker, I watched that flight along with nearly 2 dozen others that piggy-backed themselves one after another. Yours and your friends' builds are really nice. It is amazing how most of the flights filmed did not collide with anything, but made best use of your little aerodrome. Also amazing was the slower but entertaining flights by the biplanes. Not having access to such an area, it was a pleasure to watch, thanks.

George Hostler
Clovis, NM, US
Russ Lister
Palladium Member

Topic starter
Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #288 on: January 15, 2022, 02:51:58 PM »

Enjoyed that thanks, Lurker  Smiley
.... great start, Chris  Smiley
Squirrelnet
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #289 on: January 15, 2022, 03:01:34 PM »

Got the impression that it was fairly straight-forward to trim, but I'm sure Chris'll be along in a bit to fill in the details.

Well I think it's hat's off to the Colonel. It was fairly easy going to trim due in a large part to the great design by CE Bowden.

I did end up removing all of the nose weight I thought I needed to get to what I though would be sensible CG ...I was completely wrong. I also increased the wing incidence to get level flight and massively increased the already massive down thrust but that may a result of scaling it down and changing the power method. It's a very stable design - in the video the huge stall under power just flattens out. I have since increased the down thrust and it now ROG's with a steep climb out and flattens into a nice cruise phase

Weight has now dropped to 21g including the 3g motor which ended up being a 14" loop of 0.15"

Thanks so much for filming the flights Lurk, much appreciated.

I do have a video of some of the flights of the day so I can at least show Lurkers Vic Smeed Courtesan performing superbly as it heads for the rafters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbT0f-bOYzw

Also I got to see GM's wonderful Super Sky Rocket up close and its...tiny a true work of art. The Motor is an original Gasparin

Pic 1 Squirrelnet corner ...well Lurker asked me to bring the Pipistrelle (hopefully for inspiration ;-))

Pic 2 - Baby Blue Dragon Heads for the ceiling

Pic 3- Lurkers Courtesan await more winds for another flight

Pic 4 - GM's lovely Super Sky Rocket ( I need to work out a way to 'accidentally' pack this model into my model box...ooops did I say that out loud )...my favourite model from the Cook Up so far, but the I love that age and characteristic shape of the models. My Leon Shulman GM300 powered 1/2 size Skyscraper is still a firm outdoors sport flyer favourite of mine   
« Last Edit: January 15, 2022, 03:11:41 PM by Squirrelnet » Logged
TheLurker
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #290 on: January 15, 2022, 04:05:56 PM »

A snap of Chris's Dragon in flight (and looking really quite steampunk) courtesy of Abl
And a couple of Chris with his Pipstrelle, which is absolutely lovely and appeals to my fondness for 1950s tip dihedral models.  I wasn't the only one who was impressed, it gathered quite a crowd of admirers.

Regarding the Courtesan...
Today we went from a 14" loop of 0.09" motor to 14" 0.08" motor to a 14" 0.07" motor finally arriving at 14" 0.06" (thank you for the strip Chris) with no nose weight, no down thrust and the merest hint of a shim for right thrust.  I need to tidy up the trim tab on the fin, it's now far larger than it need be, but I'm content to regard this one as "done" do I can start on something new.  Assuming I get clearance from Andrew Boddington* I'll post both the plan and build notes in the Gallery

*The rubberised plan has quite a few changes, but is very derivative of David's CO2 plan in AM so it seems only polite to ask for permission.
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 167

Ignore
« Reply #291 on: January 19, 2022, 01:26:01 PM »

Great to see the Baby Dragon and Courtesan flying already.

Some Popsie progress… Wings and tail surfaces now all made so it’s ready for covering. Here then are some uncovered shots. I decided to go with the (as-designed) aerofoil section tailplane after all. I’ll probably glue it on as pegs and rubber bands back there seem like extravagant extra tail weight for a short nosed 23” rubber model. I think I’ll band the wing on as per plan though.
Weight as seen (but excluding the prop) is 27g.
Squirrelnet
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #292 on: January 19, 2022, 01:34:43 PM »

Looking good Pete.

I guess a banded on wing will make it easier to store as well ...and squeeze into the car along with all the beautiful scale models  Wink
Kevin M
Gold Member

Kudos: 18

Ignore
« Reply #293 on: January 19, 2022, 01:36:21 PM »

Love it Pete, sofull of character.
Russ Lister
Palladium Member

Topic starter
Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #294 on: January 19, 2022, 02:26:35 PM »

Looks great, Pete  Smiley

Enjoyed all the reports from last weekend too ... will be copying and pasting the seagull wings soon!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: