Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
May 18, 2022, 12:53:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Scaled Down Classics Cookup  (Read 12883 times)
DHnut
Platinum Member

Kudos: 22

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #500 on: April 16, 2022, 05:47:18 PM »

Tim,
      Really impressive but as you say water does complicate things. Mylar over tissue should help provided the tissue does not soak up too much water in the after section. It is still an impressive result, I really like it.
Ricky
THB
Gold Member

Kudos: 31

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #501 on: April 16, 2022, 10:16:42 PM »

Thanks Steve for the Milligan verse! And Russ, Rich & Ricky for your comments - yes it's a pleasant spot and was dead calm in the morning too.

They hold an annual kite festival at this jetty - and I have to smile when we come along to these. Because usually there's a bunch of grumpy kite flyers standing round complaining that there's NO WIND (until it always picks up by about noon). How different/similar our sports are!

My props as you saw are maybe a little big - causing them to clip into the water. On the first attempt this made it spin round to the right and dip the wing tip into the sea. Makes a nonsense of the tiny bit of wingtip clay I had there for dry flying! But next attempt it soaked the port tip - so it was sort of balanced again :-)  The props would also spray water back along the fuselage and soak the tailplane... so it was doomed to get heavier and heavier with each attempt - of which there were several more. The fact that it finally overcame the extra weight and surface tension to get airborne caused great satisfaction for the flight crew. And not at all surprised that it then fell backwards into a stall with all the wet tissue it was dragging behind! So we packed up and went for a well deserved breakfast at a seaside cafe. A good day!

cheers - Tim

Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Scaled Down Classics Cookup

Tim
"Life is what happens while you're busy making other planes."
Prosper
Platinum Member

Kudos: 67

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #502 on: April 17, 2022, 06:24:41 AM »

Great result Tim - very intrepid. I hope if you can make some propeller tweaks to keep it a bit dryer during takeoff it will fly even better (and land on water too?)Smiley

Good luck,
Stephen.
ZK-AUD
Platinum Member

Kudos: 63

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #503 on: April 18, 2022, 06:15:47 PM »

Further proof of life as I race to get the Pridmore Ladybird Special finished in time for judging!  Just need to repair / replace the parts of wing that were consumed by mice and we're ready to cover.  Actually it turns out that they don't eat balsa at all - they were after the dried aliphatic and the balsa fell out from in between the glue joints. I subsequently found on my workbench that all of my discarded glue toothpicks had been carefully denuded of dried glue!

Here are a couple of shots of the fuselage - I was going to have a balsa cowling but after breaking 3 I gave up and just carved a mould.  It's just too cramped to leave any appreciable wall thickness but 10 thou styrene sheet is perfect.  

The filler mount is bullet proof,  as is the section of nose to be gripped while filling so I am happy with how compact it all is.

Engine is screwed through the ply former into a block of spruce with Allen headed servo screws - so easy to change thrustline settings with this setup - just a twist of the allen key and insert a shim...
ZK-AUD
Platinum Member

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #504 on: April 18, 2022, 06:58:39 PM »

Should have said - weight so far is 42g all up.  Just covering and undercarriage still to add (and if we're being picky a little more wood and aliphatic in one of the wings!)

I'm picking somewhere in the 55-60g range ready to fly.  Hopefully the Telco will cope.
THB
Gold Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #505 on: April 19, 2022, 05:47:24 AM »

Nice clean work ZK!

Tim
ZK-AUD
Platinum Member

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #506 on: April 22, 2022, 02:57:21 PM »

First a brief re-cap.  You'll recall that photo 1 was the disheartening scene that greeted me a couple of weeks back.  I just stood there gobsmacked unable to process what I was seeing and mentally looking for the un-do key!!  I hate and detest re-work but I think if you have to do it you need to go slowly - one piece at a time let it set and then go back and do the next bit.  If you bodge it you'll never be happy with the model and if you're only part way through this may impact the quality of the rest of the build.  Anyone else feel that way?  Anyhoo,  picture 2 is the upper wing repaired with new LE, LE sheeting and spars scarfed in through to the tip,  and new ribs.  The mice had actually come back for another go the following day and attacked the lower wing so I had a similar job to do there.

All that's behind me now and as you see we are ready for some covering this weekend.  Weight all up as you see it with U/C and those rather heavy temporary plastic wheels is just over 50g so I could be right for around the 60g mark covered. Anyone have any idea what an acceptable weight should be for a 25" CO2 bipe?
Nigel M
Silver Member

Kudos: 4

Ignore
« Reply #507 on: April 22, 2022, 03:37:03 PM »

ZK - That looks well worth the effort, well done from me. I look forward to seeing it covered.
Yup, can't make myself do nugatory work even when being paid for it. That's why I over-think the way through the next step, then usually do something different once I get started. I hate wasting time having to undo a step.
For myself, I thought the original damage looked well worth repairing - at least they didn't get into the fuselage!! It's equivalent to pushing the LE in on a balsa sheeted foam wing (the goal post moved). Cut it back to good wood/foam and build it up piece by piece - I'm not saying that happens to me often or anything...  Roll Eyes Same with the covering on Sporty around the nose. Stick a few cm2 on, wash the brush, come back when brush has dried (I use soap and water - too close to the central heating boiler to leave jars of thinners open), repeat.

Sorry, no experience of the limits of Telco/derivatives. At least there are a couple of close upgrades available if you need more power. GM63 ball raced or GM73 the comp engine perhaps. Bit of a jump to the GM120 or the 120 ultra light but the latter are cheaper than the 73.

Fingers crossed for the deadline.
Nigel
ZK-AUD
Platinum Member

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #508 on: April 25, 2022, 05:31:49 AM »

A brief interruption of the UK Indoor Nats (great to see all of those models on display).

Mindful however that this cookup ends in a few days' time and that anything that wants to be voted on has to be ready by the 30th.  Hence the flurry of building activity chez moi over the ANZAC weekend.  Here is the Ladybird Special now almost fully clothed - just the far side of the fuselage to do, and the sub-fins which have to be completed in situ and then covered.

The complex-looking fuselage in fact covered very easily - one piece of paper (Esaki) per side laid on quite wet.
THB
Gold Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #509 on: April 25, 2022, 06:28:20 AM »

Well saved! A Phoenix from the ashes!

Tim
Russ Lister
Free Flight Modeller .... sub 250g!
Palladium Member

Kudos: 76

Topic starter
Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #510 on: April 25, 2022, 06:37:50 AM »

Yes, well worth the save!
As Mike says, just a few days to go until the 'official' end.
I will be pulling all the entries together just after the finish date.
I might need confirmation for a few of the models as to whether they qualify for the Aeromodeller competition or not. I spoke to Andrew Boddington yesterday and he is looking forward to the results  Smiley
danmellor
Titanium Member

Kudos: 62

Ignore
« Reply #511 on: April 25, 2022, 11:18:54 AM »

That LB Special is stunning. I hope the Telco is man enough, though...

Cheers,

Dan.
Nigel M
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #512 on: April 26, 2022, 05:49:36 PM »

Russ, I claim to have finished in the sense that there is no more building work that would have to be done before attempting beyond-parabolic flight. Please cover me in yellow highlighter. Weight is 33.4g, CG seems to be in the right vicinity, guns were removed to save weight (and allow screwdriver in to tighten motor mounts). I'm sure the wing warpage is in the camera lens.
A couple of phone shots, which enlarge upside down, beauty shots available upon request...
ta
Nigel
Nigel M
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #513 on: April 28, 2022, 05:57:00 AM »

Well, hmpf.  Angry The copy of AM Feb 1950 I referred to didn't have a cover so it wasn't until I happened across this image on AeroFred that I found the original colour scheme, otherwise I would have attempted to reproduce the same. It is a C. Rupert Moore painting and quite jolly (I would have used the g-word in former times). There is more to the top and bottom not captured here, in the usual portrait format.
Forgive my indulgence of including the other photos, it is a competition after all  Cheesy.
Nigel
« Last Edit: April 28, 2022, 06:08:31 AM by Nigel M » Logged
TheLurker
Platinum Member

Kudos: 43

Ignore
« Reply #514 on: April 28, 2022, 07:58:42 AM »

Well *I* prefer your scheme, much more stylish.
Russ Lister
Palladium Member

Topic starter
Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #515 on: April 28, 2022, 08:27:52 AM »

Both nice schemes, Nigel ... yours is real!  Smiley
Russ Lister
Palladium Member

Topic starter
Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #516 on: April 28, 2022, 08:35:50 AM »

On the subject of photos.
I'm hoping that I will be able to get from you all, higher resolution versions of your favourite photos for the cookup article ... more details at the end of the month.
TheLurker
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #517 on: April 28, 2022, 09:05:01 AM »

Quote from: Russ Lister
... photos for the cookup article ...
You been "volunteered" by Mr. Boddington?  Smiley
Russ Lister
Palladium Member

Topic starter
Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #518 on: April 28, 2022, 09:17:18 AM »

... that could well be the case  Smiley
ZK-AUD
Platinum Member

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #519 on: April 30, 2022, 11:31:13 PM »

Well folks  here she is - HJ Pridmore's Ladybird Special from 1950.  60% at 24.5" for Telco CO2.  She's finished for the purposes of this cookup (though she'll get some black trim one day when I have time)

Since my last post I have made a new set of streamline wheels,  glazed the cabin and done all of the myriad of tiny jobs that stop a model from being finished.  If you are wondering about the lovely deep red finish,  this is what happens when you spray Tamiya Acrylic clear over fresh red Esaki.  Also makes it very moisture resistant

I can also report some air under the wings - test glides show a lovely slow stable floaty glide which surprised me a bit as it's a pretty slippery design.  Gives me confidence that the Telco will have enough urge to keep it up.

Also pictured my other Lady bird Special without whose tolerance and  understanding there would be no modelling!

Finally a re-cap of the other beautiful new model I've gained from this cookup
TheLurker
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #520 on: May 01, 2022, 02:44:06 AM »

Quote from: ZK-AUD
HJ Pridmore's Ladybird Special ....
Nice. I think the deep red finish works perfectly on its own without any additional trim.
Russ Lister
Palladium Member

Topic starter
Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #521 on: May 01, 2022, 05:18:01 AM »

The Ladybird Special is a beauty  Smiley

The cookup is now officially closed, but you can carry on as long as you all like ... I have really enjoyed this.

Now I have some work to do! I'll assume that you have all 'put your best foot forward' and collate from photos already posted for the presentation for voting. Please post any other photos that you would prefer though.
I think it is best to restrict voting to the participants of the cookup only? An open vote would perhaps hinge on how many friends you have on the forum.
The vote on the forum will be for ALL of the models built, but the Aeromodeller prize will go to highest scoring model that qualifies for that prize. No model is left out then?
Kevin M
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

Ignore
« Reply #522 on: May 01, 2022, 09:11:00 AM »

HJ Pridmore's Ladybird Special

Beautiful model, and I agree with Lurk that it looks great as is, the varnish seems to have deepened and strengthened the colour. However black trim on red does look really good to me, please show us some pics if and when you do it.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 [21]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: