Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 02, 2021, 01:51:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Simple Simoun  (Read 765 times)
Jack Plane
Titanium Member

Kudos: 42

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2021, 03:32:21 AM »

I must admit I'm tending towards 'The Markovitz Solution'*. Apart from anything else, I'm not usually a tidy enough builder to avoid a little gap somewhere when I've tried the saddle/through-wing approach.

Scale fact no. 34. When a stuck-on wing is ripped off, it takes all the fuselage markings with it.

Ghastly thought Bill, but there's a *Markovitz Solution* to that as well:  simply stick all the fuselage markings on the fin!
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 166

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2021, 03:40:19 AM »

Ghastly thought Bill, but there's a *Markovitz Solution* to that as well:  simply stick all the fuselage markings on the fin!
I like it! (Is that a literal case of ‘thinking out of the box’?)
Yak 52
Titanium Member

Kudos: 77

Jon Whitmore

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2021, 04:37:44 AM »

On the Simoun, I'm now pondering the u/c. The spats are quite an important part of the look I think...

Pete, you might like the method Tom Nallen Snr used on the Skiptown Cadet. The spats are simply three laminations of 3/16 and the wheels are thin disks of ply (I think I may have just used card actually) which have no hub as such but the slots are thin enough so that the wheels spin but don't wobble. The leg fairings are a little different but could be adapted?

https://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/hpa_forum/index.php?topic=24862.0
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Simple Simoun
Russ Lister
Free Flight Modeller .... sub 250g!
Palladium Member

Kudos: 76

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2021, 05:10:08 AM »

Enjoyed looking at your Cadet again, Jon .... Andrew Darby and yourself are still two of my favourite 'tissue only coverers' in the UK  Smiley
« Last Edit: November 20, 2021, 05:25:12 AM by Russ Lister » Logged
Yak 52
Titanium Member

Jon Whitmore

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2021, 05:26:20 AM »

Ha, thanks Russ  Smiley
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2021, 06:25:16 AM »

Thanks, Jon; I really like the look of that system and I wasn't entirely convinced by my own 2D spats plan. As the Simoun's legs are vertical I might be able to dispense with the little fillet mounts and thread, and just slightly embed the wire in the innermost layer of the spat.
(Agree with Russ about your tissue skills too- I still remember the maple leaf roundels on your Chippie!)
Yak 52
Titanium Member

Jon Whitmore

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2021, 06:56:13 AM »

As the Simoun's legs are vertical I might be able to dispense with the little fillet mounts and thread, and just slightly embed the wire in the innermost layer of the spat.

Yeah that's what I was thinking. The build sequence might be a bit fiddly. I made the whole spat first and then inserted the wire axle - trying to find the wheel hole was interesting! I omitted the threaded bracket and just glued the paper fairings to the spat with a little tab. Held them fine.

I was worried about thin CA running in and sticking the wheel. I didn't (I was careful) but even if it had the wheel surface in contact with a gym floor is so small that it would ROG even if they didn't spin.

(Agree with Russ about your tissue skills too- I still remember the maple leaf roundels on your Chippie!)

Fanx  Smiley
DHnut
Gold Member

Kudos: 21

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2021, 01:29:39 PM »

Pete,
        Just a thought given that the undercarriage is on the wing maybe a short torsion bar would give some resiliance similar to the my Mchard Hurricane, but beware of the leg fairing puncturing the tissue. I cut mine away slightly.Another slightly different build>
Ricky
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2021, 01:20:38 PM »

That's a good point about the leg fairing cutting into the wing tissue, Ricky. It's happened on a few I've built, so this one will have a bit of a space as you suggest.

This then is the redesigned spat, using the system Jon suggested. Actually quite similar to the spats on my Dewoitine now I think of it. Also, here's a general progress shot now I've started adding in a bit of structure.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Squirrelnet
Platinum Member

Kudos: 58

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2021, 01:26:46 PM »

I've been following this thread with interest Pete having failed in my own attempts to master CAD . This is looking really good, very impressive
Russ Lister
Free Flight Modeller .... sub 250g!
Palladium Member

Kudos: 76

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2021, 03:23:55 PM »

Looking good, Pete  Smiley .... Jon might have a point about the obscured fin, but it's never a big job to change should the need arise.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: