Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 07, 2021, 01:41:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Volare Products Miller Racer "Nickel Short Kit"  (Read 602 times)
Dan Snow
Gold Member

Kudos: 33

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: November 13, 2021, 08:33:38 AM »

Not sure if this was a "real" airplane that was actually built and flown, but what the heck, it is a peanut in size.

Brother from another Mother to the Cessna Nickel Short Kit, I present to you the Miller Racer, the second offering from Volare in this series.

The quality of the wood, plans, and packaging is equal to the 5 Star rating for the Cessna. Both original and redrawn plans supplied, and laser cutting is excellent.

Initial construction is quick and straight forward. Wing, stab and rudder went together in just a few minutes. Another 20 minutes or so and I had the fuse sides done and was ready to join them. That's where I discovered two mistakes and things went to sh*t!

First mistake, I used the lightest (softest) 1/16" balsa sticks I had on hand.
Second mistake, I used CyA glue.

Result: I am, as I did on the Cessna, now in the process of building a second fuselage to replace the utterly destroyed first attempt.

How did this happen? Well it was a progression of things building to the point of walking away till the next day. Building the sides was easy enough, no issues. Laid out the strips, glued them up, and got ready to join them. At this point things went sideways. Starting with senior fumble fingers handling something this small and delicate is "interesting" to say the least.
Here's what I discovered. If you use uber-lightweight, soft balsa sticks, and CyA, extreme care is required. Due to the "instant stick-shun" of the glue, if it ain't 100% dry, when you try to remove your finger, it's not unlikely that part of the structure would rather stay with your finger than remain with the structure!

After the umpteenth attempt to repair a broken stringer, upright, or former, I chucked the psychotically banana shaped mess and went to have a beer!

Then this morning, after salvaging the formers and cross pieces from the trash bin, I began building the fuselage again.  This time using much stiffer (harder) 1/16" sticks and Volare's Am-Droid glue. So far so good.  

Take away? I can still learn new things. Might take a time or two, but I eventually get there.

Now to decide on a color scheme.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Volare Products Miller Racer "Nickel Short Kit"

"Curse you Red Baron!!"  - Snoopy
Indoorflyer
Platinum Member

Kudos: 29

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2021, 01:11:00 PM »

Not sure if this was a "real" airplane that was actually built and flown...

Try searching on Miller "Zeta"--it was designed by Pete Miller who was involved with the GEE BEE aircraft designs...

http://goldenageofaviation.org/Miller.htm

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/11160367215
Re: Volare Products Miller Racer "Nickel Short Kit"
Dan Snow
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2021, 06:03:38 AM »

Thanks for the links Indoorflyer, interesting stuff. Got some colorscheme ideas.

After getting momentarily distracted by the Buffalo Tick and Buffalo Tick II CLG's, and after a brief period of recovery from the first fuselage attempt, I got back to work on the replacement.  I added a cross piece at each former location so I could align the sides flat on the board. I will gleefully accept the additional fraction of a gram to get the ^*$%%( thing aligned.

Took a long time as I would add a couple cross pieces, and if nothing broke, I would walk away for a while. I can now say that, Knock-on-wood, please God don't let me jinx it, I have the fuse to this point and haven't destroyed it! Will slowly add formers and the one main stringer over the day day or so.

Have I said how much I "luv" building the itty-bittys?

Dan Snow
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2021, 05:12:00 AM »

Made some good progress yesterday, and didn't break anything! Woo-Hoo!!

All the bits are made, so I have to try some very careful sanding, and then print out the tissue for the color scheme. That hasn't been finalized yet. Weight without tissue or rubber is 3.89g. I might actually get this one to come out lighter than the Cessna.

Dan Snow
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2021, 04:40:31 AM »

More good progress! Actually got it covered and mostly assembled and didn't have to make any repairs!!
Just the windshield, wings and wing struts to attach and she's done.

Weight with motor is 6.48g   Cessna was .38g heavier at 6.86g

I'm glad George is only offering these two for now. The little suckers are frustratingly addictive!! Smiley Smiley Smiley

Bredehoft
Platinum Member

Kudos: 58

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2021, 07:08:01 AM »

I'm glad George is only offering these two for now. The little suckers are frustratingly addictive!! Smiley Smiley Smiley

You "could" suggest which one should be next Wink

--george

Dan Snow
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2021, 07:22:50 AM »

You "could" suggest which one should be next  Wink

It would be either the Ryan, or perhaps the Howard. But if you want to wait till the spring to bring another one out I won't mind! Smiley

I'm calling the Miller Racer Fini!! Okay, I haven't installed the motor, but I haven't decided if I want to try and trim these little suckers or not. They might be destined to become Hanger Queen-lets. Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

The Miller was an easier build than the Cessna, perhaps because I used the Cessna as practice.

kittyfritters
Gold Member

Kudos: 21

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2021, 08:27:43 PM »

Dan,

That's a good as I have ever seen them done as "Nickle" scale. Getting them to fly is another matter.  In our local Dime Scale contests, whenever Joe Whiting is the CD and it's called "9 Cent Scale", that series of models built from plans enlarged to 16" span are allowed to compete as dimers, and they do fly well.

KF

Qua sublata omnia praecepta legis
dslusarc
Gold Member

Kudos: 28

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2021, 10:36:55 PM »

Have all the parts glued together on mine. Had to make the instrument panel former as it does not seem to be part of the short kit. Next up is covering. I have not built a model this small in a long time. I once did an 8" pistachio scale as a kid, this is not much bigger. Curious as to how it will fly.  
Dan Snow
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2021, 04:45:28 AM »

Ah, so it wasn't me losing track of things! I too had to fabricate the instrument panel, but just figured I had misplaced it, and would find it 6 months from now while looking for something else.

I have only tried to test the Cessna. With about 50 or so winds it sort of fluttered around like a butterfly wandering through the flower beds.Smiley Smiley Smiley  Haven't tried since as we are in our heavy dew season and everything is dripping wet during the early morning, no wind hours.  Unfortunately I don't have access to any indoor venues.

Bredehoft
Platinum Member

Kudos: 58

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2021, 10:35:35 AM »

Thanks guys for the heads-up on the missing part - I built this and don't recall missing the part, but I probably just forgot to update the parts sheet.  I has been added and all future kits will include a dash panel.

--george

dslusarc
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2021, 10:17:44 PM »

Made me some colored tissue. Took a little artistic license in the layout.
dslusarc
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2021, 03:00:08 PM »

Spent the day covering everything. Not happy with upper fuselage, too many wrinkles. I preshrunk tissue before covering so cant tighten up now. 
dslusarc
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2021, 10:56:42 PM »

Close to completion. Need to finish prop.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: