Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
July 01, 2022, 07:38:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Buffalo Tick and Buffalo Tick II  (Read 390 times)
Dan Snow
Gold Member

Kudos: 33

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: November 17, 2021, 08:56:53 AM »

Up until recently I was aware that a category of free flight known as "Catapult Launched Gliders" existed, but that was pretty much as far as it went.
Then a few days ago the Nov-Dec 2021 issue of my Flying Aces Club newsletter arrived, and on pages 10 & 11 were the plans and article for the Buffalo Tick II, A "cute" little CLG with a 7.5" span and 3" chord. I quickly read the article and looked at the plans. Was able to resist for a couple days, but then finally gave in and built it.
Never having had even a passing interest in CLG or HLG I'm sure I violated every No-No in the world of CLG.
First I found a "light" sheet of 1/16" balsa. No idea of density, weight, or grade, it was flat and straight so it became the wing. Had some relatively light 1/8" x 3/8" balsa that became the fuse, and then some slightly stiffer 1/32" sheet that became the tail feathers. Probably spent less than 40 minutes cutting, sanding and assembling the thing. (Not counting drying time as I was using Am-Droid cement from Volare rather than my usual CyA.)
A guess, ( that looks about right!) at a CG, and a quick toss and oops, a bit tail heavy. Added a touch more weight and Damn! That little critter floated across the street with a gentle toss, no stalling, just a wide left hand turn! Tossed it a little harder and it made an almost full circle maybe 20 yards or so across and by my internal count 6-7 seconds long. Color me impressed. Had to stop at that point as the street was getting busier, and there was a really heavy dew and fog.

Mentioned in the article by Peter Kaiteris, is a larger 10" span version with a built up wing. What the heck says I. I enlarged the BT II to a 10" span which resulted in a 4" chord. Oh well, I'm not flying this in any competition anyway. Built using the same wood selection criteria as the Tick II, it came out at 13.57g and flies much like the little one. We have some drier weather coming over the next 7-10 days so I plan to get out to the park and gradually work up to using the catapult, a 9" loop of 3/16" tan rubber.
Didn't realize these little things were such fun!

Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Buffalo Tick and Buffalo Tick II

"Curse you Red Baron!!"  - Snoopy
lincoln
Titanium Member

Kudos: 40

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2021, 09:56:46 AM »

Those look like great fun.  Catapult gliders can be very entertaining, though obtaining good launches AND good glides with the same trim can take some patience. You might hold out for some lighter balsa next time. C-grain is  good. But fly the heck out of what you have.

I've had better performance from gliders with light c-grain, sanded to an airfoil shape, but I've also had great fun with a little 10 inch glider with flat sheet wings made of ordinary wood. Longest flight was 2 minutes, all below about 100 feet, on a breezy day. Fortunately, since it was at a large sod farm, it came down where I could see it. It was a Sparrow hlg with a launch hook added and shrunk to 10 inches for the FAC glider event. But I'm sure plenty of other designs would do as well. Since this glider lived in the back seat of my car, it eventually succumbed to hangar rash. I found a "Budd kicker", easily found on the web, to make trimming that model easier.

A number of other catapult gliders of mine have vanished in thermals, though I'm far from expert. People who know what they're doing can get a third more time in dead air than my best models could. Maybe some of that was longer arms, but I'm sure it was mostly more skill.

Sparrow hlg:
https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=3756

If you can find light c-grain, and you get really interested in this, a Straight Up is probably a good choice.
https://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/hpa_plans/details.php?image_id=12022
Mine was a bit heavy, but still flew well, with an excellent transition at the top of the launch. I didn't know about the Budd kicker at the time, so I used a thinned, hooked up trailing edge on the horizontal stab. At high speed, it would flex, so I could launch straight up and have a bit of stability in the glide. It worked well, but was tricky to get right.

Without a trick like that hook, or the Budd Kicker, or the flexible flaps* that some indoor gliders use, catapult gliders need a fairly far aft c.g. so they don['t loop on launch. That means not very much pitch stability. That doesn't stop some people from getting it right. Even, occasionally, me.

*Not legal for all events.
Indoorflyer
Platinum Member

Kudos: 30

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2021, 10:10:16 AM »

The original 'FAC Tick' plan is in the HPA Plan Gallery:

https://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/hpa_plans/details.php?image_id=9786&mode=search
FLYACE1946
Platinum Member

Kudos: 28

AMA and Flying Aces Club Member

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2022, 08:45:53 PM »

I built the Tick 11 and like he stated in the construction article it did make me smile. Inside and outside the house it flew in a nice turn. Then when I used the launcher it really went up and over yonder. Nice flyer I say.
dosco
Platinum Member

Kudos: 18

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2022, 10:40:26 AM »

The Beamsbox, the CLG version of the Lunchbox, is super fun (and simple to build).

I know it's somewhere in the HPA Plans Gallery.

(I built 3 Lunchboxes, and lost 1 in a good sized thermal ... Beamsboxes are even easier to launch, so ...)

-Dave
Crabby
Titanium Member

Kudos: 142

I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2022, 04:17:53 PM »

Funny this came up. I am getting ready for a weeks family vacation in North Carolina, and decided to bring enough stuff to build ticks AND maybe an Arbulette. Just maybe some unsuspecting family member will catch the bug and butcher some
balsa with me.

The Threadkiller!
High Point
Gold Member

Kudos: 16

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2022, 04:44:49 PM »

What is an "Arbulette"? Thanks

Curtis
dosco
Platinum Member

Kudos: 18

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2022, 09:11:21 PM »

Arbalete, perhaps?

https://outerzone.co.uk/images/_thumbs/models/3416v2.jpg
FLYACE1946
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2022, 10:45:21 PM »

The yellow thing was built by Mike Kelly here in Helotus ,Texas
lincoln
Titanium Member

Kudos: 40

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2022, 10:54:52 PM »

I'm lazy. I think I'd do an A-12 "Dorito" instead of an Arbalete. Unless I go back to the Ambrosini Sagittario. An elegant aircraft, but it might be hard to trim for a good glide without ruining the launch.
FLYACE1946
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2022, 11:38:33 PM »

I built the Tick 11 and like he stated in the construction article it did make me smile. Inside and outside the house it flew in a nice turn. Then when I used the launcher it really went up and over yonder. Nice flyer I say.
I did fly mine last Saturday. It took off and didn't make it back home with me. Oh well I just had to do another one.What will be , will be.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: