Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
January 20, 2022, 03:26:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length
 
Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Build: Chilton DW.1  (Read 453 times)
0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
rrfalcon
Bronze Member
***

Kudos: 3
Offline Offline

United States United States

Posts: 44

Topic starter


Ignore
« on: December 07, 2021, 09:50:12 PM »

Since I've finished the Comper Swift build (even though I haven't started trimming it for flight), I wanted to start another Pre-WWII plane. I've got plans for the Chilton DW.1 from Veron, and from Clive Gamble. I liked the Gamble plans a bit better, so that's the one I'm using. This one will be different for me since it's a low-wing, and has built-up landing gear spats. That will provide my next learning experience. One problem I had is that the plans were drawn to fit an A4 sheet of paper, so it's not quite a good fit for the 8.5x11 inch paper I've got. The trailing edge of the wing got cut off, as did some of the printwood forms. I'm not sure yet what I'm going to do about the printwood, but the trailing edge was all straight lines. I just took a ruler and a little bit of extra paper taped on to the main plan and drew in the missing sections. In the second picture you can see the joggles in the wing ribs where the original print got cut off and my new ink lines didn't quite match up.

The curves along the bottom of the fuselage are also a bit of a problem. In the nose, especially, the first bay has enough of a curve that the stiff balsa I'm using for longerons won't bend that far, even after soaking in water overnight. So I'm using softer balsa for that lower nose longeron. I plan to sheet in the first two bays anyway so that should more than give enough strength. I wasn't quite sure how to get everything glued together without shifting, so I'm doing it in two parts. First I'm gluing the wing root forms to the top longeron using the two uprights cut into the form. Once that dries I'll have a firm enough base to do the rest of the fuselage side.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Build: Chilton DW.1
Build: Chilton DW.1
Build: Chilton DW.1
Logged
rrfalcon
Bronze Member
***

Kudos: 3
Offline Offline

United States United States

Posts: 44

Topic starter


Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2021, 09:51:42 PM »

Whoops - posted the thumbnail for picture two, instead of the actual pic.  Here 'tis.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Build: Chilton DW.1
Logged
Gary Dickens
Gold Member
*****

Kudos: 9
Offline Offline

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Posts: 293



Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2021, 04:46:16 AM »

If you're going to fill in the front two bays anyway, rather than use soft wood for the bottom longeron, you could just cut the whole front area from sheet.

Gary
Logged
Tiger Tim
Bronze Member
***

Kudos: 2
Offline Offline

Canada Canada

Posts: 58

WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2021, 08:01:24 AM »

Sounds like you’re using a program that doesn’t support tile printing, perhaps Adobe’s free version of their PDF reader.  I used to do one print normally that cut off the right edge, then rotate the image 180° and print again, this time losing the left edge.  Hold both copies up against a window on a sunny day, line them up, and tape them together.
Logged
rrfalcon
Bronze Member
***

Kudos: 3
Offline Offline

United States United States

Posts: 44

Topic starter


Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2021, 02:45:54 PM »

I have a PDF tile program called pdfposter, but it didn't seem to want to work on this particular file.  No errors, it just didn't seem to split up the drawing properly. I may have been giving it the wrong options, so I plan to re-visit it for the printwood and see if I can get it to work properly.
Logged
rrfalcon
Bronze Member
***

Kudos: 3
Offline Offline

United States United States

Posts: 44

Topic starter


Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2021, 11:23:44 AM »

The fuselage is coming along, with all but one of the formers glued in. The second photo shows the printwood layout after I figured out how to get the PDF tiled properly. The paper is glued to a sheet of balsa using Scotch Spray Mount light duty adhesive. It sticks the paper to the wood strongly enough that it doesn't shift or come loose while I'm cutting out the pieces, but not so strongly that I can't peel it off easily when I'm ready to glue up the piece. A side benefit is that it keeps the piece labeled until I'm ready to use it, so I'm not looking at a bare former thinking, "Is this f5 or f6?"

Unfortunately, the main longeron on one side isn't as stiff as on the other, despite both being cut from the same 1/16th strip. This has put enough warp into the fuselage that I'm considering junking this one and re-doing it. I'm not sure how to correct it, or to prevent it from happening again.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Build: Chilton DW.1
Re: Build: Chilton DW.1
Re: Build: Chilton DW.1
Logged
rrfalcon
Bronze Member
***

Kudos: 3
Offline Offline

United States United States

Posts: 44

Topic starter


Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2022, 05:04:15 PM »

Construction is continuing. I'm keeping the warped fuselage for now just to see how it flies, so I've pretty much completed the wings and vertical stab, and the horizontal stab is on the board.  Once that's done, I'll still have to do the landing gear and nose block, then it will be ready for cover.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Build: Chilton DW.1
Re: Build: Chilton DW.1
Re: Build: Chilton DW.1
Re: Build: Chilton DW.1
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to:  

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!