Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
January 20, 2022, 02:57:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Another Aerographics Tripe...  (Read 741 times)
danmellor
Titanium Member

Kudos: 61

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: December 24, 2021, 05:22:56 PM »

Hi all.

After finishing the Sopwith, I thought I'd tackle something a little less involved next. Then I got my hands on a Midkiff Aerographics DR1 kit and I don't think I can resist making a start in my 13 day Xmas break.

Current Kit Scale rules mean it's ineligible if I do my usual CO2 conversion, but I will build it for CO2 and hope the rules change back! It's 1/12 scale as opposed to the Sopwith's 1/14, so it's a bit chunkier. With that in mind; I'm thinking of a G500 for power as I reckon even a GM300 might struggle. I keep saying it's always better to run a big motor slower than thrash a smaller motor to its limits, so I ought to listen to myself for once. The 500 is 10g heavier than the 300, but that's probably not a terrible thing in such a short nosed subject.

The kit only arrived this morning, so nothing beyond laminating the rudder outline so far.

Back soon,

Dan.

P.S Merry Xmas!!
Russ Lister
Free Flight Modeller .... sub 250g!
Palladium Member

Kudos: 76

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2021, 06:43:32 PM »

Glad to hear that the kit arrived ... look forward to seeing it take shape  Smiley
danmellor
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2021, 04:51:15 PM »

Progress so far...

I'm hoping to get the basic box and motor mounting together tomorrow. The G500 looks enormous, but I'm convinced the power will be needed after talking to another Tripe builder. It's only a little larger than the Sopwith, but a LOT chunkier. My 30" Dumas Gipsy Moth is about as much as a GM300 will fly and it's a lot cleaner than a DRI.

We shall see...!

Cheers,

Dan.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Another Aerographics Tripe...
g_kandylakis
Gold Member

Kudos: 62

Greece Greece

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2021, 02:57:36 AM »

off to a very good start!

scale free flight & micro RC
Russ Lister
Palladium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2021, 06:39:52 AM »

I'll be following closely, Dan ... I hope that I can get mine built one day. I thought the Modela I have might have suited ... doesn't sound like it now.
On a general note, are the Modelas worth building owt for?
(Forgive the slight diversion)
danmellor
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2021, 06:49:54 AM »

A Modela might work. It may need plumbing to a bigger tank, though. It would be very short on duration otherwise.

Cheers,

Dan.
danmellor
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2021, 06:53:45 AM »

Also, I could be wrong and the 500 may be massive overkill! All good fun...

Modelas are good motors, just equipped with a small tank as standard and heavy plumbing. Well worth building something light and short nosed for.

Cheers,

Dan.
Russ Lister
Palladium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2021, 09:36:28 AM »

Thanks Dan ... yes, the tanks do strike me as small.
Club auctions never seem to get the right price .... I think I got 2 Modelas, chargers and bits including a bigger tank for a fiver ... thought it must be junk, but one of the motors looks in good nick.
danmellor
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2021, 12:52:06 PM »

Today's progress. Basic fus is together. No solid formers, so I like to add a few gussets to keep everything square. If you are just relying on 3/32" sq joints, it's easy to induce distortion if you drink as much high strength cider as I do...

The motor mount bulkhead is not glued in yet. It's just used as a jig to keep everything square. The plan and instructions show 1 degree right thrust and 4 degrees downthrust, so I'll work out the offsets for the motor to achieve that before drilling holes and gluing everything in...

Cheers,

Dan.
Squirrelnet
Platinum Member

Kudos: 59

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2021, 01:24:10 PM »

Looking very good Dan, even with the high strength Cider.  Grin

Great the thrust line is shown on the plan. Given you are using a bigger motor would you need more side thrust? or would the torque be the same as a smaller engine running at higher revs?
danmellor
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2021, 01:38:44 PM »

The plan as drawn shows a 9" or possibly 9 1/2" prop for rubber. The big Gasparin will spin the same size prop, so I thought "Why not?!" It could all go horribly wrong, but it's all good fun...

Cheers,

Dan.
Squirrelnet
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2021, 01:56:10 PM »

Sounds good to me - same prop - of course !!!!
danmellor
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2021, 04:40:26 PM »

I'm kind of curious myself. In maybe 40 years of messing around with CO2, I only recall one model that didn't need at least 3 degrees right thrust. (Moorhouse Scram actually ended up with left thrust, No idea why!) I think it's the downthrust that will be more critical with so much lift/drag above the CG.

We shall see. I seem to be quite fond of that phrase!

Cheers,

Dan.
DHnut
Gold Member

Kudos: 22

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2021, 05:16:00 PM »

Dan,
      Lovely to watch. You are a glutton for punishment but at least the ribs are laser cut. I like the use of gussets as the spread load very well with very small weight gain and as you say it helps alignment a lot. There is a VMC kit in my pile that I keep looking at for CO2 but the resolution is to clear some of the unfinished models. Your Moorhouse Scram comments were interesting as I have one if the two I built and they both used 2 deg Ricky
danmellor
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2021, 05:24:07 PM »

Ricky, I have no idea why the Scram ended up with left thrust. Brown B100 with Williams prop, no discernible warps, but it wouldn't circle reliably until the left thrust was added in a fit of desperation. Then I was expecting the circle to open up as the torque died off, but no! Sometimes theory goes out of the window..

Cheers,

Dan.
danmellor
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2021, 05:38:54 PM »

I'll probably end up replacing some of the ribs. It's not legal for Kit Scale under current rules so I can modify as much as I like! At least one sheet of the supplied laser cut ribs is of a density that would have made Eddie Keil reject it. I'll swap the sheet iron 1/32" for some nice light 1/16". Less weight and more joint area.

Cheers,

Dan.
danmellor
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2022, 12:22:03 PM »

Today's progress. Not a lot further on the fuselage, but I had a first attempt at printing the streaky tissue. I'm very pleased with how it looks, but I still want to try printing on green Esaki to see what that looks like. I hope it doesn't look much better as I doubt I've enough green jap left to do the required amount...!

Cheers,

Dan.
Squirrelnet
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2022, 12:51:05 PM »

Looking good Dan.

The streaky tissue printing looks very convincing too on the grey tissue? would green tissue not be ..er.. too green ?

danmellor
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2022, 01:15:57 PM »

I don't know! I'm going to find out...
danmellor
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2022, 02:03:04 PM »

Yep! The streaks on green tissue lost most of the effect. Lesson learned.

I'm just waiting for epoxy to dry around the motor mounting nuts before going any further tonight.

Cheers,

Dan.
danmellor
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2022, 02:13:21 PM »

Not much to report. Did the nerve wracking pipe bending today and the top decking is done. I need to do some serious wing building before I can finish off the rest of the fus. It might be another Tripe, but it's a lot less fiddly than the smaller scale Sopwith!

Cheers,

Dan.
danmellor
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2022, 01:11:04 PM »

Plodding on. The card side panels provided in the kit seem to bear no resemblance to the conical fairings that are outlined on the plan and are much more scale like. I can't see how the card ones are supposed to fit, so I'm going with the conical type from thin balsa. I'm not a great fan of using card. I've built a little shelf for mini Manfred to sit on and drawn up the undercarriage legs. as I'm differing from the plan method there. I'll tackle the cowl once the side fairings are on, then I can mount the motor permanently once that's done.

Cheers,

Dan.
billdennis747
Palladium Member

Kudos: 69

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2022, 03:15:27 PM »

Plodding on. The card side panels provided in the kit seem to bear no resemblance to the conical fairings that are outlined on the plan and are much more scale like. I can't see how the card ones are supposed to fit, so I'm going with the conical type from thin balsa.

I always think the bloke in the middle here is holding a side panel (the upper one is still in place)
https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/184668-von-richthofens-twin-spandau-mgs-where-are-they/
danmellor
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2022, 05:39:10 PM »

Nice pics! I would have said that was the upper decking as the taper looks a lot less than the side pieces, but obviously not. Who knows?!

Cheers,

Dan.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2022, 06:20:09 PM by danmellor » Logged
danmellor
Titanium Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2022, 04:05:05 PM »

A little further along today...

U/C Cribbed from the Avetek Sopwith. Full outline of the legs in 1/32" ply, slots in the top to take piano wire pegs that locate in the fuselage tubes, then covered both sides with 1/32" bass strips. Very strong, easier to cover the model with legs than can be attached afterwards and probably lighter than the equivalent lengths of wire. I reckon there's a bit of Knock-offability as well; the wire locating pegs will just pull out of the legs in a prang, rather than tearing out of the fus. as a whole.

Wrong size wheels, but they give an idea.

Mini Manfred is another Dave Banks masterpiece. Far beyond anything I could produce.

Cheers,

Dan.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: