Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
May 18, 2022, 11:41:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Wire DT Springs for Viscous Timers  (Read 250 times)
Iridescent Wings
Bronze Member

Kudos: 3

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: March 24, 2022, 03:39:45 PM »

I got tired of rubber bands being so sketchy and degrading after a few hours of being stretched out in the summer sun. I decided my own and thought it would be helpful for people who wanted to do it too. Current setup will be 0.010 wire over a 0.125" mandrel. I'll post some pictures when I get home  Cool
Gary Dickens
Gold Member

Kudos: 14

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2022, 06:44:19 PM »

Yep, guitar strings are the way to go.
Iridescent Wings
Bronze Member

Kudos: 3

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2022, 10:08:13 AM »

Whelp. If I've learned anything from this, it's that I should buy premade DT springs if I'm not going to be more careful winding the wire  Tongue

The use of a drill and mandrel is mandatory in this case. Also, heavy gloves and a good pliers are a super good idea. Holding the drill down with my food and pulling the wire up as hard as I can, and then being careful to wrap carefully is the route I chose for this one. Of course, I got poked sorta bad by the wire and I also wasted a fair amount of wire using the wrong amount of pressure. After a few tries, however, I got two very useable springs that I will be using for as many planes as they last. I recommend using them
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: