Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
May 18, 2022, 12:24:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: BMFA Indoor FF ‘Intermediate Scale’  (Read 738 times)
Russ Lister
Free Flight Modeller .... sub 250g!
Palladium Member

Kudos: 76

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2022, 01:38:11 PM »

You see something of the same effect when, say, a champion cyclist turns up at a club or other event.

I'll second that  Smiley I have had the pleasure of riding with a few champion cyclists. I was 'yer average' club rider with perhaps a bit more potential than I ever realised. I wasn't a bad climber though, and it was great to feel 'on a par' on the odd occasion ... especially uphill. I think that my best experience was attacking a hill on a training run with a retired ex Milk Race rider .... not beating him, but just riding alongside him. (forget his name, but Owen Blower's teammate in the late 50s I think? I was also riding with Owen Blower's daughter .... another great pleasure ....  Roll Eyes )

g_kandylakis
Gold Member

Kudos: 63

Greece Greece

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2022, 01:43:13 PM »

Thanks for the replies...

This was not meant to be a provocative question, I hope this is clear...

I only have the fear of perhaps people not taking part, if big names are present in an "intermediate" class...

If that is not the case, then by all means...

I only pity the judges, with many more models to judge...

George

scale free flight & micro RC
Squirrelnet
Titanium Member

Kudos: 62

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2022, 01:56:18 PM »

I sort of got into FF Scale outdoors after flying FF Sport models and trying to film some of the amazing FF Scale models I was seeing, on my phone. I remember one event at N Luffenham in particular and Bill Dennis insistently shooing me out of the way as I tried to film him launching towards me. It was a pivotal moment. I got out of the way but watching the model climb away I decided to have a go at building one ( a DH60 as it happens) as they look so great in the air. Once built and flying I entered into comps and suddenly I could stand next to Bill and Mike and Andrew and Gareth and Derek and Pete and ..well you get the idea and be part of it. As a bonus my youtube videos got better too  Grin

Flying with a group of like minded modellers in a friendly and good natured way is really what it's all about for me so restricting entry to various classes is really the opposite of what would have encouraged me in. I know Pete and Rich have said this already but maybe worth repeating

EDIT - Our last posts crossed George - but no not seen as a provocative Q ..interesting yes. I think we'd all like to see continued and increased interest in FF Scale for me the key is to show how much fun and how rewarding FF Scale can be compared to other aeromodelling disciplines
billdennis747
Palladium Member

Kudos: 71

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2022, 02:03:41 PM »

Hello George
What you are suggesting is similar to the old RC Standoff (or was it Clubman) where winners are not allowed to enter again because they are deemed experts. It was written into the rules. Of course the entry gradually declined as the class ate itself.
I don't think Intermediate was ever described as a class for beginners.  Indoors, the Mission statement just says what it isn't. It's just another class to fly in and it will attract some of the same people.
Was not KS given the 'banning' treatment and it went down like a lead balloon.
In a parallel activity I fly duration FF and regularly get beaten by the experts. Who cares. If messrs O'Donnell, Hipperson, Ball et al had been banned, I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole.
So the short answer is yes, Mike should compete if he wants to, at least until the rules change.

Our posts just crossed. If people are put off by the presence of people more adept than they are, they aren't going to stick around anyway. When I first began, I recall asking all the experts of the time how they did this and that. That's what experts are for, including yourself!
As for the judges, their main problem will be making sense of the intention of the documentation.

Another post crossed. Chris - I apologise for shooing you. Seriously. I hope I don't often shoo.
Squirrelnet
Titanium Member

Kudos: 62

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2022, 02:10:41 PM »

Chris - I apologise for shooing you. Seriously. I hope I don't often shoo.

I was very close !! It was totally reasonable shooing ..but I wanted the shot. Don't apologise and now I'm very much an addict to FF Scale Smiley

Edit - I should add to that - in large part thanks to the help, advice and encouragement from other FF Scale modellers including, in no small part, a certain Mr Dennis...Thanks Bill
« Last Edit: May 05, 2022, 02:55:07 PM by Squirrelnet » Logged
Russ Lister
Palladium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2022, 02:17:30 PM »

Call Shooline now!

'Where there's a shoo, there's money for you!'  Grin
Pete Fardell
Palladium Member

Kudos: 167

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2022, 02:41:43 PM »

Chris - I apologise for shooing you. Seriously. I hope I don't often shoo.
I was very close !! It was totally reasonable shooing ..but I wanted the shot. Don't apologise and now I'm very much an addict to FF Scale Smiley
And it's probably a marginally less painful experience to be shooed by Bill than to have him keep schtum and let a revving Mills hit you in the face?
ZK-AUD
Platinum Member

Kudos: 63

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2022, 03:54:25 PM »

I read somewhere that people would line up to be told to Go away in the old English style by Billy Connolly. Could be an opportunity here for senior modellers  Grin
Jack Plane
Titanium Member

Kudos: 43

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2022, 02:16:04 AM »

I only have the fear of perhaps people not taking part, if big names are present in an "intermediate" class...

Quite the opposite old chap - if the big names offer themselves as targets...  Grin
Russ Lister
Palladium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2022, 04:55:41 AM »

Quite the opposite old chap - if the big names offer themselves as targets...  Grin

Ah, but you are one of the big names now .... what is that red dot lighting your forehead?!
« Last Edit: May 06, 2022, 05:20:24 AM by Russ Lister » Logged
DavidJP
Titanium Member

Kudos: 47

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2022, 05:17:47 AM »

I read somewhere that people would line up to be told to Go away in the old English style by Billy Connolly. Could be an opportunity here for senior modellers  Grin

I was never much of a fan of Mr. Connolly because his form of humour does not appeal - I am old fashioned!  But I am taken by his exploiting the naivety and plain stupidity of people who are pleased to be told to go forth and multiply or the like.  For the life of me I cannot see why it should appeal. Thanks for the notification Mike, something else to ponder over in relation to the human psyche.  

Not surprisingly I have been told on a number of occasions to go away in those terms but took that as a sign of desperation on the part of the other person because they have no other way of dealing with the situation and so it had no effect on me at all.  Interestingly those who would have made me think more than twice at their attitude had the ability to do it without profanities but with an intellectual and factual account that was rather humbling and did make me think.  But on those occasions it was then all done with and we continued in a genial and civilised manner.

As to the entry business frankly I can’t think of any reason for a ban on anyone and has it not been shown bans do not work.  Some one who has regularly shown they have the ability to build and trim for flight a model that excels could be regarded, if they did it continually, as achieving no more than a hollow victory but that is a matter for them.  More importantly perhaps is the target they provide for those of who are not for the moment of like ability.  So nothing is broke at the moment is it?
Jack Plane
Titanium Member

Kudos: 43

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2022, 05:33:34 AM »

Ah, but you are one of the big names now .... what is that red dot lighting your forehead?!

Only an overweight fish in a small pond really... I've yet to attempt the big boy's pool!  Cheesy
Russ Lister
Palladium Member

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2022, 06:17:43 AM »

I'll have to dig out the old Speedos and join you (sorry for that mental image) .... I think I've made about a dozen entries at the indoor Nats, but still none in open.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: