Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
May 18, 2022, 11:58:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: New flying site in Austin metro area.  (Read 226 times)
VictorY
Silver Member

Kudos: 3

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: May 02, 2022, 11:47:02 AM »

I just got off of the phone with Round Rock ISD and was informed that they couldn't deny us access as long as we carry insurance coverage, and the AMA informed me that we are definitely covered as hobbyists under their insurance in that scenario. So we can fly at the property located at AW Grimes and Old Settlers.
kittyfritters
Gold Member

Kudos: 22

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2022, 08:18:43 PM »

Did a Google map of that location.  One area near the intersection looks great.  Looks like you guys have a really good flying site.  Well done!  Make sure that you have it in writing with all the 'i's dotted and 't's crossed.

KF

Qua sublata omnia praecepta legis
VictorY
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2022, 12:34:29 AM »

Did a Google map of that location.  One area near the intersection looks great.  Looks like you guys have a really good flying site.  Well done!  Make sure that you have it in writing with all the 'i's dotted and 't's crossed.

KF

It's the field on the northeast corner of that intersection, about 1000ft wide and half a mile long with the long sides running north and south. The weeds look to be fairly friendly when long and they mow it a few times a year. I'm basically just glad to have a field large enough to do full power flights, even if I have to set a short DT.

For some reason the school can't deny access to that property so long as the persons involved have liability insurance, probably because it's owned by the taxpayers. I don't know for sure. They also can't officially give permission, likely due to some kind of bureaucratic malarkey or invitation for additional legal liability. But they were kind enough to go to the trouble to ask for copies of the AMA insurance policy, approve it, and get back to me to let me know the Catch-22 they were in. That's as close to getting it in writing as it's going to get on this one, and the only property I've found at all that didn't give a hard absolute no on access for model aviation purposes. People are so worried about getting sued these days.
MKelly
Platinum Member

Kudos: 114

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2022, 05:12:17 PM »

Is this the site Victor?  All of it or just the northern half?

Mike
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: New flying site in Austin metro area.
VictorY
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2022, 09:47:27 PM »

Is this the site Victor?  All of it or just the northern half?

Mike

I think it's the whole area you have highlighted since there are no fences or other markings that I have seen other than the change in vegetation. But if it's just half, it's going to be the lower half with the two buildings on it. The driveways to those structures have chains across them and signs that say something to the effect of RRISD authorized personnel only, but I plan on parking at the southern perimeter off of Kiphen and setting up nearby for any winds from the southerly directions. I haven't really looked at the north end of the field much but I really doubt there will be any problems. If law enforcement shows up for some reason, I will show them the correspondences I've had with RRISD and a copy of the AMA insurance declaration pages that cover our activities.
MKelly
Platinum Member

Kudos: 114

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2022, 10:05:58 AM »

Looks very promising.  Let's talk at Hamilton - if you're willing and the field works out we could consider holding some of the Alamo Escadrille monthly flying sessions there to save the Austin folks some driving.

Cheers,

Mike
FLYACE1946
Platinum Member

Kudos: 28

AMA and Flying Aces Club Member

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2022, 10:52:15 PM »

I agree we need to save them some driving if at all possible.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: