Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
August 19, 2022, 01:26:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: VP for pennyplane?  (Read 2016 times)
Olbill
Titanium Member

Kudos: 72

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: June 23, 2022, 12:25:37 PM »

Good plan!
Flyguy
Gold Member

Kudos: 44

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: July 02, 2022, 04:25:47 PM »

I made a second PP hub, this time I used Tsova's approach (see reply #94) where the tissue tubes are centered on the main hub tube, came out OK (but not as nice as Tom's!). I also got a new prop block with washout in the tips for a second PP prop, will be very interesting to compare them in the Fall. I rolled the fuselage and tail boom, it's a lot easier than F1R, so PP is very enjoyable and relaxing to build. I designed the plane so that it is mostly built using easy to get outdoor wood, all surfaces are either 1/32" or 1/16" sheet, 4-6 or 6-8 lb, got a few nice sheets from EasyBuilt and it's enough for at least a dozen planes!
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: VP for pennyplane?
steve-de24
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: July 02, 2022, 06:28:02 PM »

Thanks to Flyguy and other contributors to this message thread, particularly Oldbill for sharing his drawing. It's nice to know how these VP's work even if I'm unlikely to make one myself.
Steve
Flyguy
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: July 07, 2022, 02:03:00 PM »

Thank you. There's no way I could have made the PP VP hub without the help of the experts who chimed in here. I also learned a lot about PP - wire sizes, motor sizes and weights, wood sizes for built up props, sizes of the screw holder and driver for a PP hub, what kind of winder to use, where to get a counter for it, flyers' experiences with biplanes and wide wings, using washout in props, and on and on, so thanks to everyone!

I don't know if it makes any difference flying-wise, but I like the 'centered' tissue tube approach for the PP hub shown above, inspired by Tom Sova's hub, so I wanted to see if I could do it for F1R, which is much smaller. I used my top hat bender to make the bend shown on the left in the first photo. Then I inserted that into a piece of .040 round balsa, then inserted that into a tissue tube, and hit it with some thin CA, shown on the right. I think that works OK. It's a little lighter than the other approach because you don't have to wrap the thread and it uses less wire, F1R hub shown below weighs 68 mg.

I went back to center the tissue tubes in my first PP hub, shown in reply#91. The centered tubes (third photo) made more of a weight difference in this case, originally the hub was 300mg, now it's 280mg, so I'm very happy about that, I also like doing it this way, it's a little cleaner. Last photo shows the re-furbished PP hub next to the re-furbished F1R hub, it's a lot easier to make the PP hub!
dslusarc
Gold Member

Kudos: 30

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: July 11, 2022, 09:59:58 PM »

The Pennyplane prop I built worked well at Johnson City, managed to get a 15:37 (enough for first) with my monoplane penny with basically only a part of one day test trimming with the fixed pitch prop. Got up about 100 feet so need to look into a VP for next year. I might try a biplane again as well and fly them head to head to see what happens now that I am 20+ years older and 20 years wiser :-)

Don
Flyguy
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: July 12, 2022, 05:54:52 PM »

Excellent flight time Don! I wish we had 100 feet to climb, it's 32 feet max so a VP is really a necessity.

I might try a biplane again as well and fly them head to head to see what happens now that I am 20+ years older and 20 years wiser :-)

Don

That would be extremely interesting, keep us posted. I also made a very wide wing PP, curious to see how that flies in the Fall.

PS - seems like it might take a while to get the counter for the winder, curious if you got yours yet since you're ahead of me on the queue?
dslusarc
Gold Member

Kudos: 30

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: July 13, 2022, 08:55:17 PM »

Yes it came while I was at Johnson City. Have not messed with it yet though.
Flyguy
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #107 on: July 14, 2022, 04:38:04 PM »

Thanks Don, that's really good news, you just made my day! That suggests that I should get mine in about a month or so, no rush, really looking forward to checking it out.
Flyguy
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: July 26, 2022, 06:12:43 PM »

Hi Don - I'm wondering if you could post a picture of your counter, I haven't gotten mine yet but my friend Tom did, his is slightly larger than the one shown in the picture on page 3, so I'm curious what yours looks like? He had to mount it at a slight angle to get it to sit correctly.
Flyguy
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #109 on: August 14, 2022, 11:37:58 AM »

OK I got the counter, photos attached, really nice! When you turn it on, it counts up whichever way you turn the handle, then down when you turn it the other way. So, you can wind, get the count, then back off and it will count down (don't have to remember to flip a switch). Then, after the flight, you can simply hook on the motor and it will count up the number of turns as it unwinds. Really nice, looking forward to using it this Fall. I've got the pennyplanes built, will post something on what I learned on that sooner or later.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: