Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
July 01, 2022, 07:29:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: GPS batteries light enough for Coupes  (Read 266 times)
Richard Ewing
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

Italy Italy

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: June 03, 2022, 02:46:09 PM »

I'm looking at the PYXIS GPS system to put on my next coupe.  The 3g transmitter seems tolerable, but I don't know how heavy a battery is going to be.  I found a PYXIS instruction sheet online that recommends a 170mAh 20C cell.  Those are hard to find under about 6 grams.  But I did see a 120 mAh 20C cell advertising 3g that feels like it would be closer to an acceptable weight.

Will the PYXIS function reasonably with a 120 mAh battery?
Can anyone point me to a source for 3g(ish) 170mAh 20C batteries?

Thanks,

Rick
Tmat
Titanium Member

Kudos: 70

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2022, 04:13:12 PM »

Hi Rick,
We have used a 100-105 mah battery (weight 1.75 grams) on our Coupes with the Pyxis GPS. If necessary, we top up the charge mid day.
So far no issues. I also top up the charge before the flyoff.
Something like this:
https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/PKCELL-Top-quality-3-7v-105mah_62220238248.html
Tony

F1B guy...
But don't hold that against me!
Richard Ewing
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

Italy Italy

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2022, 05:27:46 PM »

Tony,

Thanks for the input.  The batteries appear to be reasonably priced, so switching in fresh ones during a day seems reasonable.  You've made me feel more confident about getting the PYXIS.  I'm working on a new model that should come in closer to the 70g target wt. so 5g of tracker and battery should be "palatable".  I'd be happy if I could get my current plane down to 75g.

As for ordering from Alibaba: Have you had any issues?  Is using a pre-paid credit card typically a reasonable way to make payment?

Thanks,

Rick
Tmat
Titanium Member

Kudos: 70

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2022, 02:09:52 PM »

Tony,
As for ordering from Alibaba: Have you had any issues?  Is using a pre-paid credit card typically a reasonable way to make payment?
Thanks,Rick
Rick,
For these batteries, I ordered from DHgate: https://www.dhgate.com/product/wholesale-3-7v-110mah-lithium-polymer-lipo/394903124.html?f=dm%7Cedm%7Cauto%7Corder_delivery_reminder_2020_en%7Cen%7C20210507
I think the actual capacity is closer to 100 mah (battery manufacturers overseas are notoriously generous on battery capacity claims!).
We have used these batteries for F1G for the last year to power the timer AND the Pyxis GPS with no issues. We recharge part way through the day.

Tony

F1B guy...
But don't hold that against me!
DavidOWade
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2022, 03:14:08 PM »

I use a 70MAh battery with my Pyxis beacons. I got a good reading from a coupe that was over two miles from where I was standing. Now maybe it won't last as long as a 170MAh battery but they last long enough and they are cheap enough you can replace it after four hours and put it on a charger.
pbrown
Bronze Member

Kudos: 6

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2022, 03:22:04 AM »

Hi Richard
I have used ebay many times for LiPOs.
This guy, tesky12, based in china, never a problem.
Of course you have to solder on your own plug.
Worth a look.
Pete

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: