Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
October 03, 2022, 12:02:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Butyrate or Nitrate dope and Thinner Available near Charlotte, NC??  (Read 330 times)
PantherM100
Silver Member

Kudos: 0

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: March 10, 2022, 11:33:03 AM »

Hi Guys:
I’m here in Charlotte NC visiting my
Grandson for his birthday.  Meanwhile, I
Brought with me a couple kits that we
Can build.  A cloud Tramp and a couple
Others.  I can’t find a hobby shop that sells
Model Airplane clear dope.  Butyrate or
Nitrate and some thinner a small quantity,
Even a bottle of old Testors would be fine!
If ya could let me know where to purchase,
I would be grateful.  It’s just for water proofing
And tissue attachment on the others.
Sincerely,
Jon B. Shereshaw
PB_guy
Gold Member

Kudos: 25

Canada Canada

Just a kid at heart.

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2022, 12:38:11 PM »

I have been using a product called 'Watco Clear Lacquer' from Home Depot. It is a nitro-cellulose based lacquer. I thin it with acetone. I tried their thinner, but I didn't like the results - white spots on drying.
ian
hdvades
Copper Member

Kudos: 0

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2022, 12:44:59 PM »

Another alternative and very popular choice is Krylon Clear. I use Rust-oleum UltraCover Matte Clear because that's what the local hardware store sells. One or two light mists with time between coats does the trick. Very little if any at all shrinkage.

As for adhering tissue...check out "maxifliart" (Tom Hallman) or "John Koptonak" on Youtube. They have some good tutorials for alternate methods of attaching tissue.

Good luck! 

lincoln
Titanium Member

Kudos: 40

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2022, 02:02:04 PM »

The most fun way might be to find a nearby airport where they restore old planes and schmooze, but that seems far fetched.

I've had good luck with nitrocellulose lacquer, which had very little shrink. It wasn't any good for sticking tissue down, though.

I understand that there's some kind of thinner they sell in auto body supply stores that works well, but I don't remember what kind.

I wonder if the white spots could be prevented by using retarder. I also wonder if the auto body places have retarder. I think Sig does, but that's probably not helpful for you.

Glue stick is nice for sticking down tissue. I like the Uhu Stick brand. Maybe not entirely waterproof. One can also use Elmer's white glue (or similar) thinned with water for attaching tissue. If you wanted it really water resistant, I wonder if Titebond II or III would work.
danberry
Platinum Member

Kudos: 18

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2022, 09:19:02 AM »

Try the airport. If that fails you can use a glue stick to attach tissue and Krylon Crystal Clear to seal the tissue. It is available at WalMart in the crafts section, not the paint section.

The thinner from the auto paint store was DuPont 3608S. DuPont isn't the name any more. Mine is Cromax brand, same number. Axalta might be a name in play.
thymekiller
Platinum Member

Kudos: 46

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2022, 10:15:51 PM »

Sig still sells dope in small quantities. I just bought some.
You can also buy small bottles from ebay.

Bargle
Gold Member

Kudos: 22

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2022, 09:00:58 AM »

If there's a Hobbytown USA close by, check them. That's where I've found it locally.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: