Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
August 19, 2022, 01:35:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: With What Do You What Do You Cover Plans?  (Read 332 times)
dhable
Bronze Member

Kudos: 3

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: June 14, 2022, 08:35:28 PM »

I use thin CA as my primary adhesive. I'm having trouble finding a clear plan covering to which the CA doesn't adhere.

What do you use to cover your plans during construction? Please include a "brand name" in your reply. Thanks in advance.
Starduster
Platinum Member

Kudos: 39

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2022, 08:51:17 PM »

Cut-rite wax paper - literally all I've used for almost 60 years. never had a problem with any adhesive sticking to it

One caveat: Single use only!
« Last Edit: June 14, 2022, 09:32:57 PM by Starduster » Logged

"We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty..."
FLYACE1946
Platinum Member

Kudos: 28

AMA and Flying Aces Club Member

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2022, 11:46:09 PM »

Who makes Parchment Paper? Let me go check...the name on the box is Reynolds Genuine Parchment Paper  Non-stick
USch
Platinum Member

Kudos: 36

Italy Italy

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2022, 05:11:54 AM »

I use to print 2 copies of plan drawings. One for consultation, one for building on it.

The second will be cut to single pieces and fixed to the working surface, normally 12-20mm plywood or glass plate. Fixing with 3M 77 Spray Mount. Afterwards I cover the whole surface with transparent 50mm tape. Some tapes, as the ones from polypropilene are not to good, as CA will stick slightly to it. Others from PVC are self-releasing, one has to do some tests before committing the drawing.

In this way everthing sticks to the working board and even if humidity changes the paper doesnt make waves!

Urs

Fast up-Slow down
lincoln
Titanium Member

Kudos: 40

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2022, 05:57:20 PM »

I agree that parchment from the supermarket is very good, unless the plans are faint. In that case, I might go for polyethylene sheet. For small projects, I might just use cut up cheap food storage bags. (Not Zip lock.) I suppose cheap plastic painters dropcloths would work. You can build a lot of models with just one.

However, for most uses, CA is evil.You can burn out your nose and make permanent mistakes faster than ever before. I favor carpenter's wood glue, white glue, and Ambroid or similar. (Sigment, Duco, Beacon 52I, Testors for wood models if they still make it, etc.) Epoxy where justified. One advantage of slower glue is that your fingers don't get stuck together and your feet don't get stuck to the floor. Each has advantages and disadvantages.

It's possible to plan things out so that slow glue doesn't slow down the building much. For instance, let the wing dry while you work on the tail.
BG
Platinum Member

Kudos: 87

Canada Canada

Me with F1B - epic retrieval (flew 10km after DT)

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2022, 12:52:32 AM »

The solution you seek is packing tape. I carefully cover all areas where glue will come into contact with the plans (Joints) with strips of clear packing tape. Nothing sticks to it. Once you try it you will never do anything else.

BG

CEO,Chief designer, production line manager, factory worker, shipping and customer service manager, and janitor at Hummingbird Model Products.
THB
Gold Member

Kudos: 34

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2022, 06:41:21 AM »

Scotch tape, sticky tape, most brands also works well, just needed where the glue spots will be. But also still cover the whole plan with Glad-Wrap instead just out of tradition / habit
Tim
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: With What Do You What Do You Cover Plans?
Re: With What Do You What Do You Cover Plans?

Tim
"Life is what happens while you're busy making other planes."
Bargle
Gold Member

Kudos: 22

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2022, 09:13:44 AM »

Since no one else has mentioned it, I'll add painter's plastic drop cloth. I cut it to a little larger than the plan and wrap it under my building board, holding it on with masking tape. I use Sigment or Duco for nearly everything so I'm not sure about CA resistance.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: