Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 02, 2021, 01:21:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: What trainer did you like?  (Read 3581 times)
Sundance12
Model Airplane Builder
Global Moderator
Platinum Member

Kudos: 73

Canada Canada

Topic starter
MAAC #25680, VE4BDF (amateur radio callsign)

« on: January 25, 2008, 03:59:03 AM »

Got any good trainers that you have to share with us?

Try this on for size,
http://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/cl_sp_white_lightening.htm

I know it's not a trainer but it can be made to fly like one.

Cheers

Bruce
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
What trainer did you like?

Resources and tools for scratch builders and plans builders.
www.northof49tech.com
skyraider
Platinum Member

Kudos: 93

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 09:24:06 PM »

Nice Bruce. The best trainers I started out with were the old Musciano designs. This is a Zero I did not to long ago. Basic 18" built up wings, slab sided fuselage and I formed the cowling and canopy myself. Flights are good so far.
Re: What trainer did you like?
Sundance12
Model Airplane Builder
Global Moderator
Platinum Member

Kudos: 73

Canada Canada

Topic starter
MAAC #25680, VE4BDF (amateur radio callsign)

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 09:39:57 PM »

Hey I like that one, Walters books were a real inspiration to me back in the 1970's, I would read them and drool over his .35 size Challenger, I think that was what it was called. I have one of his books in the library of model builder books. I have never built any of his designs although I wanted to, perhaps there is time yet. A video of one flying would be neat, but that's another project for another time. Perhaps we will post a project here on how one of those designs went together, they are classic. I like it, must be a real mover...

I was hooked on the Goldberg 1/2A stuff.

Cheers

Bruce

Resources and tools for scratch builders and plans builders.
www.northof49tech.com
highflyer1
Copper Member

Kudos: 0

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2008, 08:27:01 PM »

g/day all. i flew a deweybird is a good little plane to learn on o49 engine

old pilots never die they just fly higher
applehoney
Titanium Member

Kudos: 280

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008, 10:04:44 PM »

Phantom Mite.

I was about 14/15 .. younger lad knocked on door, had an ED Bee and asked a recommendation for a C/L model .. suggested the Phantom Mite. He made quite a good job of it, asked me to go with him to fly it; THEN he asked me to fly it first so that he knew that if he dorked it the fault would be his, not the model. I flew a tank out, landed .. told him it was fine.

He flew and bounced it - not badly damaged. Repaired and flew again .. he became a very good C/L pilot in aerobatics, etc in due course. Well over 50 years later I admitted to him in an email that the proving flight of his Phantom Mite was also my first-ever C/L flight. He's never said a word about it ...... Grin
« Last Edit: March 03, 2008, 10:10:27 PM by applehoney » Logged
Russ Lister
Free Flight Modeller .... sub 250g!
Palladium Member

Kudos: 76

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008, 09:12:35 AM »

I agree with Applehoney. I started with a KK Champ followed, I think, by the Phantom Mite and then a string of Mini Goodyear racers just flown for sport. All good trainers and all fitted with my trusty Cox Babe Bee .049! - the only IC engine I can say that I really have had good use with (spending most of my time with gliders, electric and rubber models as I have).
Dan G.
OOS, November 2010
Gold Member

Kudos: 20

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2008, 06:59:51 PM »

This isn't exactly about a trainer, but about the flight which sold me on Free Flight. Before I had actually seen a successful free flight model, having only flown a little CL years earlier, I had acquired a bunch of magazines and decided to give free flight a try. I built a convertible model -- glider, rubber, or 1/4A -- as a towline glider from an American magazine (could have been Flying Models). It had a lot of sheet wood on the fuselage and a constant 2" chord wing -- leading and trailing edge only, no other spars.

This was all new to me and I was by myself. So, with about 80' of carpet thread and a self-launching device, I towed it up and released for that first flight. The plane never started down. It circled right away and started getting smaller and smaller, straight above me. I was flabbergasted, not quite understanding, but thoroughly amazed and delighted. It had been a windless, cloudless day, and I lay on my back in the grass, watching, until twenty-eight minutes later, I couldn't see it any more.

Holy Cow! It went right out of sight! It dawned on me then, the meaning of that mysterious phrase, always in bold, "o.o.s."., some place where the models went, in the photo captions of those old Aeromodeller magazines. I lost my next towline glider too -- an A-1. I was sold.

Dan G.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2008, 01:46:02 AM by Dan G. » Logged

Dan Garsonnin CA - Will be missed by all that knew him.
simpleflyer
OOS, July 2018
Silver Member

Kudos: 9

Simpleflying is fun.

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2008, 01:11:35 AM »

Our favorite is the Guillows Trainer II. Under the supervision of a very helpful mentor we made our first successful CL flight after a long string of failed attempts.

The first picture is a blurry picture of that model. We had more fun and good experiences with it than with nearly any other of our CL models.

The second picture shows some of our failures: bottom to top - Ringmaster, plans built Hound Dog, plans built stunter similar to a full bodied Ringmaster, and a second Hound Dog. Not shown are a AJ Firebaby, Scientific profile P-51 powered w/OK 049, plans built Spooky powered w/McCoy 09. Needless to say, I had a steep learning curve, but persistence and the timely aid of some helpful mentors finally paid off.

Al

Al Locker USA - Will be missed by all that knew him.
flinger

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2008, 04:17:02 PM »

Grin Back in 1945 when I took my first flights---the club I belonged to built their own trainer out of balsa. Simple rectangular wing, nondescript body and tail empennage---O&R 23 ignition. They clipped wires from a Walker U-Reely and ran out the handle, someone started and with my Uncle in the middle with me---I flew. After about 10 flights I got tired of that and started looking at a speed model with a Hornet.60 on it, once again I trudged to the center of the circle this time with the owner and I flew that off the dolly and got dizzier than all and threw up my chow after landing it. Tongue After that there was no stopping my thirst for speed. It's been a great race ever since. Cool
Kiwi
Bronze Member

Kudos: 6

New Zealand New Zealand

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2008, 10:34:51 PM »

When I was about 12 I built Ron Moultons "Rascal" with a Taifun Hurrikan in the front, got a guy from the local model shop to show me how to do it and was hooked. I lived very close to a park and as soon as I had found another local lad who was into models we were away flying our control liners as much as we could (this was pre noise complaint era). Never got to do free flight as living in a city with no transport, and not knowing much about model clubs, there was no where I knew of to fly them.

Anyway the Rascal made such an impression on me, from all those years ago, that a couple of years ago I built another, this time with a PAW 149 in the front.
11 blade

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2008, 09:49:31 AM »

My childhood flying buddy Doug Walls and I learned to fly UC in our yards with the Scientific line of kits. I flew the Little Mercury, and Doug flew the Piper Cub. The solid balsa fuselage and wing had the touch of the Musciano design style. But they were tough and durable and may have flown like a golf ball, but we got used to spinning in circles- a needed skill before moving on to other, nicer stuff. The Scientific Kits, Babe Bee .049's and Wen-Mac .049s -salvaged from the RTF models-were relatively easy for us to come by. We burned lots of fuel had a ball.

I'm enjoying all the pictures posted here...
« Last Edit: March 29, 2008, 12:19:59 PM by Sundance12 » Logged
robert mathison
Silver Member

Kudos: 8

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2008, 06:03:09 PM »

HI All,

This is the type model I will use to teach my granddaughter how to fly CL, they are fire babys.

Bob

EVER DAY FLYING IS A GREAT DAY WHEN YOU ARE WITH YOUR BUDDYS .
JetPlaneFlyer
Gold Member

Kudos: 37

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2008, 06:21:25 PM »

I was taught to fly RC when aged about 14 by my father on the same model he was taught on. It was a Saturn Apprentice. Typical high wing trainer powered by 40, rudder,elevator, throttle. It looked quite slick compared to the Super 60 which was the standard trainer of the day. After I used used it then it was donated to the club, it must have taught stacks of people the basics.
faif2d
Platinum Member

Kudos: 32

Sun came up I was here to see it = good day

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2008, 09:44:30 PM »

My first model was a Guillows II trainer with a K&B .29. Kinda like an early rat racer. I remember that my break in consisted of running screaming bench runs until it quit locking up. Sigh Embarrassed

I used to like painting with dope but now I can't remember why!    Steve Fauble
simpleflyer
OOS, July 2018
Silver Member

Kudos: 9

Simpleflying is fun.

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2008, 12:43:16 AM »

Nice looking pair of Firebabies, Bob. I hope that your grandaugher enjoys flying them. As I mentioned in msg #7, my first CL model was a Firebaby. It was a Christmas present about 1952 when I was 12 years old. Not having anyone knowledgeable with CL to assist me, I promptly crashed it. My grandma tried to help me fly a Ringmaster once, but she knew even less about CL airplanes than I, so we crashed that one too. Back to the Firebaby. Several year ago while doing the vendor bit at an IPMS show(about once a year I go to a show to unload some old plastic to pick a few bucks to finance my current modeling activities). At the show while browsing some of the other vendor's tables we spotted the injured Fire baby pictured below. I would have liked to restore this little baby and have another chance to make it fly, but it has too much damage and is oil soaked. But all the metal parts are there, so a reconstruction using the original parts as patterns is quite doable, and hopefully some day we will try to make it happen.

As mentioned in the earlier post, our favorite trainer is the Guillows Trainer 2. Faif2d says that it is kinda like an early rat racer. In fact Guillows did make a rat racer kit very similar to the trainer 2. We have one of these stashed away for another future project. We would like to build the Guillows rat racer and fly it as trainer/sport model. Our 2nd pic is the kit. The rat racer has a 24 inch wing span. We are thinking of powering it with a Cox 15TD. The 3rd shows the TD in the rat racer motor mount, perfect fit. To use a larger engine would require widening the mounting slot. Guillows plan shows the needed widening. In the kit G suggests using .25 to .40 engines for rat racing.

Al

Al Locker USA - Will be missed by all that knew him.
NormF
Gold Member

Kudos: 13

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2008, 02:04:06 AM »

My favorite first time U/C flyer is the Goldberg (now Brodak) Lil' Wizard. It features a rubber band mounted engine and landing gear. My son built it with a Cox Black Widow. Flys great and can stand a bunch of abuse (we tried!). It pulls well and is a much better trainer than the Cox PT 19.

- Norm
JetPlaneFlyer
Gold Member

Kudos: 37

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2008, 02:59:04 AM »

Oops,
On my previous reply I missed the fact that this was the control line forum.. Doh!

My first control line model was the KeilKraft Phantom-Mite. I remember it being a bit underpowered and I could not wait to move onto something with a bit more performance, but it was near indestructible.

Steve
slipstick
Silver Member

Kudos: 7

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2008, 04:47:55 AM »

My first control line model was the KeilKraft Phantom-Mite. I remember it being a bit underpowered and I could not wait to move onto something with a bit more performance, but it was near indestructible.
I think a lot of people in this country will identify with that. It was usually either a Mite, the "big" Phantom or the one I learned on the KK Champ. A Champ with a DC Spitfire worked o.k. for me though it went better when I put the PAW 1.5 on it Wink.

All long gone unfortunately Sad.

Steve
robert mathison
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2008, 07:23:15 PM »

Simpleflyer,

If you Google American junior you will get good info on the fire baby, and you can still get parts or a new fire baby.

Bob

robert mathison
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2008, 08:50:48 PM »

Check out the fire baby on American Junior on Google.

Bob

50+AirYears
Gold Member

Kudos: 3

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2008, 02:17:08 AM »

It's kind of funny, but I had no success with the Wen-Mac Aeromite, Cox TD-1, or the first Walker Firebabies, or Scientific logs I had. I actually learned to fly CL using an Enterprise profile P-51 with an OK Cub .099 I bought about 1949 or 50. I still have that engine, even got my first RC flights with it. With the troubles I had with my first .35s, Veco and McCoy, I was about to return to FF Rubber and Glider, till I got my first Fox .35 Stunt. Easiest handling and starting .35s I had. After that, I never quit. Still fly CL, as well as RC and FF. Even have a small group of Electric RC helicopters to balance out the Rubber FF helis.

Last year I bought one of the reproduction Firebabies and put one of my Cub .049As on it, but having problems getting the engine to run. Wish I still had the interplane struts for the Firebaby Bipe I had about 1951. One more kit and a spare wing..... Cub .074..... Dream on, old man!
robert mathison
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2008, 05:47:53 PM »

This is a photo of a fire baby we were flying in my backyard .

Bob

crashcaley
Palladium Member

Kudos: 243

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2008, 07:41:04 PM »

Steve, OOPS! I've removed my post here. I guess high winged airplanes might not be ok for control line. I've never flown them, just watched when I was a child. Still, I think it is great a young lady is getting into model aviation, and wish her the best and lots of fun. Now what I wish to know is how you keep from getting dizzy. Grin

Caley
« Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 08:03:29 PM by crashcaley » Logged

What's stall speed?  Undecided
slipstick
Silver Member

Kudos: 7

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2008, 07:57:36 PM »

I think that when someone is new to model aviation, radio control, they should train on a high winged airplane.
I'm pretty sure we're in the Control Line forum, and just about every C/L trainer is low wing. I wonder why RC learners need high wings but control liners don't (actually I don't really cus it's fairly obvious....we don't need the same lateral stability).

Steve
applehoney
Titanium Member

Kudos: 280

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2008, 09:21:20 PM »

Now what I wish to know is how you keep from getting dizzy.

Is that a blonde query, Caley? Grin Grin Grin

Oh.. as far as U/C is concerned you fix your attention firmly upon the model which is at a fixed distance from you - and ignore the background which is apparently moving back all the time. That way you don't get disoriented and .. dizzy. This is, of course, from long past experience .. haven't flown U/C since the mid-50's
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: