Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
December 02, 2021, 02:54:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Eaglet Embryo  (Read 3244 times)
Tom Barnett
Silver Member

Kudos: 13

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: October 22, 2009, 02:55:28 PM »

Greetings all!

Here's my Eaglet Embryo from an old Jetco kit. So far it flys great but I used too much rubber with a 8" prop. I'm now trying a 7" prop with 4 strands of 1/8".

Best wishes to all,

Tom
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Eaglet Embryo
Eaglet Embryo
Eaglet Embryo
schnellwilli

« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2009, 10:20:22 AM »

Over the years my son and I have built 5-6 Eaglets. All of them flew great and won many contests. As I recall, we used 7" D props on them. Four stands of 1/8" rubber is way too much for such a model. Our models were a little heavy at 15 gms but did well with long, braided motors made from 4 stands of 3/32". With such a motor, the run is so long that it would be very difficult to miss a 2 minute max. All of our models flew much longer.

The Eaglet is a very old design by Henry Struck but is still competitive with the best of them.
Maxout
Titanium Member

Kudos: 101

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2009, 02:49:31 PM »

Bill,

I'd beg to differ on the power. It is possible to get an embryo flying on a 10" prop driven by 4 strands of 1/8. Such a setup allows you to get as much as 15 g of rubber into the model. I don't think an Eaglet would hold that much, as the fuse is too narrow, but it can be done with some mods. I did some experiments with my second Supermax II, driving an 8.5" prop on 4x1/8x10g, and it had a 2+ minute motor run. Lost the model before I could continue the process, but my experiments were indicating that it would hold at least 15 g before motor bunching would cause any problems. The performance on 10 g was breathtaking, with a strong and seemingly endless climb that lasted right up until it dead sticked, indicating that more rubber would have given significantly longer flights. My current Supermax has some mods that turned out to be a bad idea, so anything more that 2x3/16x10g makes it go nuts. I've got another embryo that runs the same motor on a 9.5" prop, and the motor run is over 3 minutes. Climb lasts for at least 2 minutes, but I can't keep the motor from bunching, so she's on the ground around 3:30 on most flights, a problem that would not be had with a Supermax. Last comment: for a while I ran a Maxout on 4x1/8x10g driving a Peck 7". The climb remained vertical for a much as 40 sec. Difficult to trim and too much power in the eyes of some, but it was lots of fun, and it strong winds, that climb pattern provided a major tactical advantage. On a windy day, a model like that would be almost unbeatable.
Tom Barnett
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2009, 11:26:44 PM »

I had very good flights today on 4 strands of 1/8" and the 7" grey plastic prop but mine is heavy. Almost 1 ounce! The kit wood is at fault for this. A lighter version wood do better but mine does great with a little breeze and a thermal. A couple of 2 minute maxes today.

Several SCAMPS flyers are flying P-30's on a very long 10 gram motor (2 strands of 3/16") with a Gizmo Geezer prop with very good results. The Gizmo's tentioner system makes this possible. This would work on the Eaglet (7" Gizmo and a very long loop of smaller rubber) but the nose is a bit small for this. Easy built models has an embryo that would work well with this setup.

Thanks for the ideas everyone. There are many ways to achieve the same results.

Happy flying,
Tom
schnellwilli

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2009, 12:16:26 PM »

I'd beg to differ on the power. It is possible to get an embryo flying on a 10" prop driven by 4 strands of 1/8. Such a setup allows you to get as much as 15 g of rubber into the model. I don't think an Eaglet would hold that much, as the fuse is too narrow, but it can be done with some mods. I did some experiments with my second Supermax II, driving an 8.5" prop on 4x1/8x10g

Maxout,
Someday I hope we can meet at the field and have a flyoff. I will use my 15 gm modified Eaglet with 4 strands of 3/32" and you can use anything you want.
Tom Barnett
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2009, 06:11:53 PM »

Sure! Sounds like you'll beat me easily unless I get a big thermal. I fly at Perris, California every Weds with the SCAMPS and sometimes in Apple Valley, Ca. close to where I live in Victorville, California.

Where are you?

Happy flying!
robert mathison
Silver Member

Kudos: 8

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2009, 06:52:23 AM »

HI Tom,

I too have built this model and now have 3 that have never been in the air. I found out if you go with the 1/4" rubber like the plan has on it the model will take up to 1,000 turns. I see you have a D/T on it using the stab but if you pop the wing it is much better.

Bob

EVER DAY FLYING IS A GREAT DAY WHEN YOU ARE WITH YOUR BUDDYS .
Tom Barnett
Silver Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2009, 02:22:04 PM »

How does your wing DT work? I used that on a Pollywog years ago but I'd like to see your setup. Do you have a photo?

Tom
robert mathison
Silver Member

Kudos: 8

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2009, 05:50:15 AM »

I will go out in the back shed and dig it out.

Bob

EVER DAY FLYING IS A GREAT DAY WHEN YOU ARE WITH YOUR BUDDYS .
50+AirYears
Gold Member

Kudos: 3

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2009, 01:10:02 PM »

I'll have to remember this post. I've had an Eaglet for a number of years, but haven't had very long motor runs or flights. Going to have to find a lost stab, as well.
FLYACE1946
Platinum Member

Kudos: 27

AMA and Flying Aces Club Member

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2010, 09:57:54 PM »

Is it possible to get a copy of the plan for the Eaglet Embryo? Huh I think it is a very pleasant model to look at, yet seems simple to build. Roll Eyes

Has this model been submitted to the Flying Aces Club Yet? Grin

FLYACE1946
50+AirYears
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2010, 12:30:01 AM »

AMA Plans service lists a copy of the Jetco Eaglet plan for $4.00. It's plan # 12098.
FLYACE1946
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2010, 01:42:29 PM »

Thanks for the information of the Eaglet plan can be gotten from AMA.

Thanks again

FLYACE1946
50+AirYears
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2010, 12:07:13 AM »

And I have entered mine in local FAC contests. Of course, I always do far better the day before a contest, or even during trim flights, than I do during a contest. Who says life is fair?
FLYACE1946
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2010, 12:48:06 PM »

I think the price is now $6.00 for the Eaglet Embryo plan from AMA
50+AirYears
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2010, 11:57:09 PM »

Wish I'd purchased more plans back when something like this might have cost $0.50. Wished I'd had the money I do now back then. Should have saved the plans from my Jetco kit. While I'm at it, wish I'd been born rich.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: