Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
April 29, 2024, 02:02:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: XF-89 Scorpion Jet Cat  (Read 519 times)
stupid
Bronze Member

Kudos: 21

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: December 25, 2023, 11:11:15 PM »

XF-89 Scorpion Jet Cat
  The name Scorpion came from the aircraft's elevated tail unit and high-mounted horizontal stabilizer, which kept it clear of the engine exhaust.
   On 16 August 1948, the first prototype performed its maiden flight at Muroc Army Air Field; One month prior to this first flight, the USAF changed its designation for fighter aircraft from "P" to "F". The XF-89, which was fitted with 4,000 lbf  Allison J35-A-9 turbojets, quickly proved to be fundamentally underpowered.
   After repairs from a crash landing on 27 June 1949, the XF-89 was flown to March AFB to participate in the RKO movie Jet Pilot in February 1950. Shortly afterward, the aircraft crashed on 22 February, killing the observer, when flutter developed in the elevator, and the subsequent vibrations caused the entire tail to break off.
Kit Bays  Jet Cat plan
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
XF-89 Scorpion Jet Cat
XF-89 Scorpion Jet Cat
XF-89 Scorpion Jet Cat
« Last Edit: December 25, 2023, 11:31:28 PM by Ratz (Bruce) » Logged

"If it looks stupid, and it works..... It's not so stupid."
FLYACE1946
Bronze Member

Kudos: 29

AMA and Flying Aces Club Member

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2024, 08:14:48 PM »

Hello not so stupid, Thank you for the plan to go in the box.  Have  a great new year.
stupid
Bronze Member

Kudos: 21

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2024, 10:22:06 PM »

You're welcome,  FLYACE

Just passing along some Jet Cat plans that Don DeLoach had shared on the mmmfreeflight@groups.io mailing list. Don DeLoach is the National Free Flight Society digest editor, and he gets to see a lot of material that comes across his desk submitted to National Free Flight Society In consideration for publication. I thought I would pass it along as it would be interesting to members here at Hip Pocket Aeronautics Form.
                       Bob

The username, stupid, comes from when I was trying to register here at Hip Pocket Aeronautics Form. Every username that I thought I could use was already taken, and when I lean back in my chair and said, this is stupid, the voice recognition software that I use picked up the word stupid and put it in the username box. Seems no one wanted the username stupid and being frustrated at trying to find a username went with stupid just be done with it.

Happy New Year

"If it looks stupid, and it works..... It's not so stupid."
Pit
Bronze Member

Kudos: 135

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2024, 11:51:31 AM »

Looks like a workable plan!

I made up a small 9in version back in 2010 that "flew" decently if launched perfectly, but was VERY inconsistent.  Probably due to the profile, vertically mounted "pods" which were invariably jettisoned on every landing (alignment had to be perfect for those huge wing rudders) - along with the horizontal stab (the weakest point on the model).

My intent was to build a larger one to try and minimize the weak spots - and delete the pods - but never got a round tuit.

Pete
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: XF-89 Scorpion Jet Cat
Re: XF-89 Scorpion Jet Cat

A Dedicated Convert to:
WWWoFF (Wonderfull Wacky World of Free Flight)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
FLYACE1946
Bronze Member

Kudos: 29

AMA and Flying Aces Club Member

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2024, 04:58:07 PM »

I see where the tip tanks can be left off. Squadron Signal F-89 Scorpion WALK AROUND on page 3 has Scorpion one serial number 46-678 undergoes a pre-flight check before a test flight from Miroc,California being fueled and no tip tanks there on the wing tips.
Looks like a workable plan!

I made up a small 9in version back in 2010 that "flew" decently if launched perfectly, but was VERY inconsistent.  Probably due to the profile, vertically mounted "pods" which were invariably jettisoned on every landing (alignment had to be perfect for those huge wing rudders) - along with the horizontal stab (the weakest point on the model).

My intent was to build a larger one to try and minimize the weak spots - and delete the pods - but never got a round tuit.

Pete
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: