Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 21, 2021, 10:53:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Razor Plane Source?  (Read 14568 times)
model_builder

« on: October 23, 2009, 04:34:05 PM »

I'm looking for a source for a razor plane, preferably a type that uses replaceable razor blades. The cast body of my old stand-by, a Wilkro which I've owned for decades, has cracked in several places and is no longer serviceable. Apparently these are no longer made. I've turned up a couple of small planes searching the web, but so far nothing that uses razor blades for the cutting edge.

My use for this type of plane is limited to shaping balsa and occasionally spruce, so blade durability isn't an issue like it would be on harder woods. I really liked the way my deceased plane could be adjusted to make paper thin cuts, and once it did lose its edge, the ability to reverse the double edge blade or simply replace it with a new blade to restore the sharpness to literally razor sharp.

Anyone know of a source for a contemporary razor plane? Thanks in advance for any help.

Bob Keller
Edinburg, IL USA
Tweedy
Bronze Member

Kudos: 6

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2009, 04:53:52 PM »

try this

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&cat=1,41182,41188,56750&p=56750

Richard

Ratz edit: Modified web link
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 05:55:25 PM by Ratz » Logged
Alan Cohen
Gold Member

Kudos: 35

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2009, 05:01:01 PM »

I don't know the name of it, nor where to get it any longer (big help, I know), but this is a picture of the one to get. Maybe someone else can chime in with more details.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Razor Plane Source?

I know enough to know, I'll never know enough to know.

www.hobbyspecialties.com
Tmat
Titanium Member

Kudos: 69

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2009, 05:37:19 PM »

I used to have a plane exactly like the type that Alan shows. It was German. I don't think they are still made. Was it a "Fix"?
For new razor planes try this: https://www.a2zcorp.us/store/Category.asp?Cguid={AAEAAAC5-29E2-4F60-98EA-A5B5E53E2CB3}&Category=ModelTools%3AKnivesBladesStripper

The Solingen and David planes are both good choices. They have replacement blades too.

I found a Wilcro on E-bay last year as well.
There is one there now: http://cgi.ebay.ca/WIL-KRO-RAZOR-PLANE-VINTAGE-HAND-TOOL_W0QQitemZ380169778640QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item5883e275d0#ht_500wt_948

Tony

F1B guy...
But don't hold that against me!
Olbill
Titanium Member

Kudos: 71

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2009, 06:42:21 PM »

The David plane is probably a better choice than the Wilkro. The blades are stiffer and more adjustable.
Tmat
Titanium Member

Kudos: 69

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2009, 12:24:22 AM »

Agreed Bill. And the base is 1 piece versus the 2 piece Wilcro base. Rigidity is probably better. It is generally suggested that the David plane will perform better if it is tweaked a bit by sanding the base flat and smooth (using wet/dry paper on glass).
But I've used mine as is for clg wings and it works great.

Tony

F1B guy...
But don't hold that against me!
faif2d
Platinum Member

Kudos: 32

Sun came up I was here to see it = good day

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2009, 08:19:39 PM »

The key to making a razor plane work is the blade. I got one from Hobby People, the place in Nashville, and it worked great. The blade finally got dull and I replaced it with a blue blade and I was back to all of the same problems that I remembered. The Solingen blades are slightly thicker .003 if I remember correctly and that makes all the difference in the world. I ordered some from them separately and still haven't used them up. The thicker Solingen blade IS the difference!!

I used to like painting with dope but now I can't remember why!    Steve Fauble
Wout Moerman
Gold Member

Kudos: 22

Netherlands Netherlands

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2009, 04:22:05 PM »

I recently bough an ARTU which looks a lot like the David which I also have. I prefer the Artu. The sole of the plane was almost perfectly flat, but I'm used to dress the sole of each plane I've got. On a Stanly it took quite some time to get it flat. Only my big Bailey was perfect right out of the store.

The Artu also comes with blades which are just a bit thicker than regular razor blades. The only problem I've got is that I sometmes want to use the shavings instead of the shaved wood. But the screw which fastens the blad messes up the shavings. So I'm thinking of a way to get that screw out of the way from the shaving. BTW, this is the case with all razor planes I know, not just the ARTU.

Rubber FF scale:
www.zininmodelvliegen.nl
Silvaire07

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2009, 10:56:46 PM »

I have a Wilkro Razor Planer and I love it! Bought it on EBay. They come up for sale once in a while on there
porqui

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2009, 04:05:04 AM »

Anyone ever thought of making their own plane - use maple or beech .Can make it to your needs like blade angle and shape to fit your hand etc.

Too often we hobbyists run to the LHS and buy the latest gimmicks.
Pit
Palladium Member

Kudos: 132

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2009, 04:44:12 AM »

There ARE a few home grown planes out there that have been successfully marketed by the builder which were very good. Doing something like this is, however, very time intensive. I'll make may own fixtures and tools ONLY when such is not available commercially - too busy building models Grin.

A Dedicated Convert to:
WWWoFF (Wonderfull Wacky World of Free Flight)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
Art356A
Platinum Member

Kudos: 34

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2009, 02:17:39 PM »

Porqui's right. I made this little guy up 10 or 12 years ago from shipping pallet stock, good hard oak. I used the iron from a horrid little roughcast block plane that I tossed. It's rather more 18th Century than Hi-Tech, but I've grown to love it. The workpiece in the foreground is a 6 ft long spruce mast taking shape that came out perfect.

art.

My arms are so weak, it's like that pushup I did last year was a total waste.
Graiskye
Gold Member

Kudos: 20

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2009, 05:52:55 PM »

Anyone ever thought of making their own plane - use maple or beech .Can make it to your needs like blade angle and shape to fit your hand etc.

Too often we hobbyists run to the LHS and buy the latest gimmicks.

Seriously, a razor plane is hardly a gimmick, and to try to make a better one than I can buy for 20.00, too me, is a futile exercise. It would probably take me a long time, and my time is valuable to me, its more valuable than 20.00 for 5-6 hrs work for something that MIGHT work? Chances are I'd end up buying one anyways.

If there was a established plan, that was proven to work, then, chances are, I probably would try it at least, but without that, why try to re invent the wheel. I can use all that time I saved buying my 'plane', to build more planes? Shocked
-G.

"When I think of something monumentally witty, Ill let you know, till then you'll have to amuse yourselves."
Bargle
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2009, 07:54:29 PM »

Here's a plan that worked for B-Matthews. I'm not sure if he posts here. See replies 34 & 44.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=330357&page=3
Graiskye
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2009, 05:55:39 PM »

Very nice Bargle, I do thank you for the link, there a few nuggets of good info there.

If I had a shop that looked anything like a woodworking shop I may attempt one, but without the proper tools to even start, I fear I would never get anywhere close to a actual 'plane' able to shave balsa.

Looks like something you'd build for the sheer joy of building a hand tool, very pretty.

-G.

"When I think of something monumentally witty, Ill let you know, till then you'll have to amuse yourselves."
Bargle
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2009, 08:26:37 PM »

You're welcome. I've got something that looks like a woodworking shop if I could just remove all the clutter on top of it.
Tag

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2009, 08:15:12 PM »

I've made several of these like Bargle pointed too and everyone that I gave it to loves it. Take the time and make one. It's sometimes a welcome change from building that we all need from time to time. Plus, I get a lot of satisfaction using my own hand made tools. Anyone can just BUY them.
Maurice
Gold Member

Kudos: 30

Australia Australia

When in doubt use more rubber

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2009, 09:27:28 AM »

For what it is worth (and you need to be obsessive) using 4" plane and honing blocks you can rework the plane so that it actually cuts balsa! Firstly, you need to make the bottom of the plane as smooth as possible because the mass produced models are not with many of them being cupped in some way. This is tedious. I use various grades of wet and dry sand paper on glass and keep rubbing away until the bottom of the plane is smooth and shiny; if you wish to go to excess use a blueing block to verify the sole of the plane after the work.

Then, it gets worse, using a honing guide for your blade set to the right angle according to instructions and beaver away using your various wet stones (your local wood work shop will guide you with this) until it is glassy smooth and THEN, you set the edge! More work. For this who have stood by me for this long, the edge takes about 2 hours of work.

When you have the edge, use a piece of leather glued onto a smooth wood block and using the honing paste make few light passes and you are done. If you cannot shave your hairs off the back of your hand you have failed.

Yes, it took me about 9 hours of work but what a wonderful tool! You can shave off balsa that you can see through. Feather light twirls that float around the workshop never wanting to land.

Like I said, you need to be obsessive but you only need to do it once. I left this tool back in Oz and miss it badly! (crying quietly now)
Cheers,
Maurice
Sky sharkster

« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2009, 08:34:14 PM »

Hello Everyone,

I've used the razor plane from Master Airscrew; http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXAA64 for many years now, and it works fine. Mine came with 2 blades and I've replaced a few over the years, but the tool itself still performs perfectly. It has a double-screw adjustment and can be set from shave paper-thin to "chunk" which I hardly ever use! Here's a few photos from build threads on Wattflyer.

Ron
ancjr

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2010, 02:27:37 PM »

After contacting all the local hobby shops and finding online sources wiped out from the holidays, I embarked to find a functional planer today at all costs. I am not endorsing this is the least as the finest tool available for the job, but at least it's inexpensive and widely available in North America: Stanley 12-101 - Small Trimming Plane. I found it for $8 at Lowes.

I literally popped it out of the bubble pack, ran the sole over 180, 220, 400, 600 grit sandpaper until it was plate glass smooth and shiny, set the blade depth in a cursory fashion, and tore into a scrap sheet. It worked, with just a tad of fuzziness from tearing in a couple spots. I'll try setting the blade a little less aggressively and maybe even honing the blade to a finer finish and it should be better. It *is* functional, and that's what I needed.
sweepettelee
Platinum Member

Simplicate & add more lightness. Keep sanding!

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2010, 03:55:03 PM »

Looked up A2Z Corp on Google. Lots of good items in their listings. Here is link:

https://www.a2zcorp.us/store/Category.asp?Cguid={A3C6B0E5-D427-4FD2-88D7-0FB8CB37EB2A}&Category=ModelTools%3AKnivesBladesStripper

I recently bought Solingen razor plane & Candidius double-edged replacement blades from them. The plane needs work on the sole, but not bad. Of course my 60 yr old Little Giant razor plane still puts them all in the dust [balsa, that is Cheesy]. At least I have a supply of good blades that should keep me whittling for some time!

Ciao,
Leeper

Leeper
hklam
Silver Member

Kudos: 12

Malaysia Malaysia

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2012, 10:21:43 AM »

I don't know the name of it, nor where to get it any longer (big help, I know), but this is a picture of the one to get. Maybe someone else can chime in with more details.

Anyone knows how & where I can get one of those mentioned by Alan above? Anyone has a spare that they wish to let go, maybe?

There's an urgent need for it to obtain light & extremely thin balsa shavings to make EZB props.

hklam
Daithi
Gold Member

Kudos: 37

Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Simplify - then add more lightness

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2012, 01:00:21 PM »

That looks very similar to a David plane - check here (price is in sterling but they will accept Paypal and ship to the states)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Davids-Plane-Hand-Combi-two-Blades-/130640700636?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN&hash=item1e6acae4dc

There are a couple of second hand ones on ebay.com as well

It's not that modelling is in my blood. My blood is on a LOT of balsa Wink
hklam
Silver Member

Kudos: 12

Malaysia Malaysia

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2012, 06:20:07 AM »

Thanks daithi, but I was specifically looking for the silver German one that was posted by Alan Cohen.

Really hoped that someone here had a spare working one that he/she is willing to sell.

hklam
Daithi
Gold Member

Kudos: 37

Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Republic of

Simplify - then add more lightness

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2012, 02:38:05 PM »

The David plane is widely available - and as well as that it has three blade positions ('plane', 'spokeshave' and 'chopping') and is a lot more versatile that that German one (from what I can see in the photo. It's pretty much the de facto standard these days - I'd go for the better quality blades tho

It's not that modelling is in my blood. My blood is on a LOT of balsa Wink
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: