Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
November 14, 2019, 07:45:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Worcraft Wonder - vintage HLG/CLG -Official Cookup-  (Read 5154 times)
applehoney
Titanium Member

Kudos: 279

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2008, 06:30:52 PM »

Amount of flights are?? More than one entry? hlg or clg??? shot shoulder socket or is clg allowed? Sighs. Parents....

I'm the one sighing .. he always has rules, etc. of the Postals and he still has to ask... and if he looked to my preceding message he'd see it said "six timed flights". Kids ....

One set of scores per model; can be flown HLG/CLG or a mix. 60 second maximum from usual 9" loop of rubber on a 6" handle. I've given him the plans, I've downsized 'em so he can post 'em here ...and STILL he's not satisfied.... Kids ...

As far as I recall my 'Wonders' were best launched at 90 degrees to the wind so that they were turning into it on the climb and just away on roll-out. I did build an 18" version and it was not successful.

Kevin (Mooney, that is) ... "Vintage" is from the original Brit rules defining any design prior to January 1st. 1951; other countries such as New Zealand and Australia now have their own different cut-off dates
flinger

« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2008, 06:37:24 PM »

Grin You name it and I'm in either hlg or clg---but clg preferred. Cool
Mooney
Gold Member

Kudos: 30

United States United States

Whenever possible, fly with the sun at your back

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2008, 07:41:27 PM »

Hi
Thanks Jim. It's nice to know that at least by British rules, I'm not vintage Cheesy

moon
BillB
OOS, December 2009
Silver Member

Kudos: 24

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2008, 07:58:45 PM »

I am! And I'm in. Need a nice vintage colour scheme now. Not the one on the plan, I like to be different!

Bill.

Bill Brown UK - Will be missed by all that knew him.
hermit
Gold Member

Kudos: 52

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2008, 08:24:26 PM »

The list and counting;

Bruce...........Sundance 12
Bill...............BillB
Michael.........John Dowland (to be confirmed)
Kevin............flinger
Doug.............hermit

JohnDowland

« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2008, 08:56:46 PM »

Ohh, I'll confirm. I'm building 'em, once my workbench sees a flat surface again and my hand heals.

Officially-Vintage Michael
hermit
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2008, 08:50:33 AM »

The list and counting;

Bruce...........Sundance 12
Bill...............BillB
Michael.........John Dowland (to be confirmed)
Kevin............flinger
Doug.............hermit

That's 5, 3 still missing in action, and when do you guys want to start?
Hermit
Sundance12
Model Airplane Builder
Global Moderator
Platinum Member

Kudos: 71

Canada Canada

MAAC #25680, VE4BDF (amateur radio callsign)

« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2008, 10:13:54 AM »

Well, I guess I have started, I downloaded the plans from the Plans Gallery and had a look at the design yesterday. I will get some balsa together from my scrap bin and see what is possible to start tonite.

Looks like fun.

Sundance12

Resources and tools for scratch builders and plans builders.
www.northof49tech.com
hermit
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2008, 11:06:05 AM »

Okay, off we go with the "Worcroft Wonder" mass build! Lots of pics guys, and there's nothing saying you can't build more than one. Cat launch, HLG, don't matter, extraordinary color palettes will be resoundingly received with applause, in flight pics will be cherished, if you want to enter Jim's Postal go right ahead, but above all, have fun and get out and fly it! Them!

Hermit the Wood Cutter

P.S. Anybody else that wants to jump in, go right ahead, the plan is in the plans gallery.
hermit
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2008, 09:05:28 PM »

Anybody done yet?

I got one put together, but I scrapped it in pretty short order. One wing was twice as heavy as the other, and the first time I tossed it the fuse broke, so.......I'll start over.

Doug
Kev
Bronze Member

Kudos: 10

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2008, 09:57:33 AM »

Just nicely back from the airfield after a wonderful few hours with both model and glider. Glad to say that there were some storming black clouds up there and the lift was phenomenal in places under them and even though the wind was strong, dug one wing in and cored a cracking thermal for an extra ten minutes flight time.

Anyway, before all this happened, I arrived at the club for 8am, opened up the hanger and then headed off up wind to the top of one of the three runways and got the WW trimmed in three flights. Was joined by one of the other pilots and we entertained ourselves for over an hour quite happily throwing and then catapulting flight after flight after flight.

The clg flights were going very high and we were using both cars to retrieve so i could post more for dad's postal event. The scores I am sending him later today. First thing it was flat calm, however, by the time I came back from my last flight in the glider, the wind was up to 25knots and gusting. Glad I put what I did, when I did.

I was lucky enough to have a couple of thermal flights but all were down in less than a minute. Have taken a couple of photos - one with the model sat in the hand rail on the tug aircraft and another showing the blue sky of first thing (bit different than now). Have sent to dad to resize for me. I have damaged her fin - result of my last flight being flipped on the runway - so will sort that out and make another tonight or tomorrow.

Just get out and fly, you will be glad you did.

Kev
thinking about that vario pipping away and giving me +6 whilst the wing was dug deep and I cored perfectly
Kev
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2008, 01:02:35 PM »

Three from this morning - taken at Burn Airfield, Selby, North Yorks. One of the WW sat in the hand rail of the tug (Pawnee with supercharged engine). One showing just how blue the sky was at 8am and a final one a couple of hours later of me at approx 1800 feet about to dig in and climb.

Had a great time in all ways.

Pouring with rain now - glad I flew when I had the chance. WW is resting her wings!
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Worcraft Wonder - vintage HLG/CLG -Official Cookup-
BillB
OOS, December 2009
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2008, 05:52:11 PM »

I've finished mine. It's in an authentic vintage colour scheme......... Plain balsa! I built it in three hours this afternoon and that includes watching a football match.
I gave it a couple of chucks up the garden, and it looks like a real floater! Weight is 8.6 grams.
I'm going to have some fun with this one.
Thanks to Jim and Kev for the inspiration and to Doug for pushing me over the edge.

Bill

hermit
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2008, 07:13:06 PM »

I gotta get busy on this. Today was spent on the Rocket Postal Mk II, tomorrow I'll be off to the lumber store for some nice light balsa.

Doug
applehoney
Titanium Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2008, 07:25:38 PM »

Bill - it's me who is inspired by the number of "Wonder's" built in the years since either the late Stan Pearson or I dragged the old plan out of obscurity - don't remember which but it doesn't matter .. it's a great little glider.

Worcraft also kitted a very strange HLG called the 'Star' which I built and eventually nominated as 'the model least likely to ever fly'. Following which Stan built one and got it to fly; not superbly but adequately .....  Shocked Grin
Incognito
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2008, 12:28:06 AM »

Oh, man. I just know I'm gonna regret this. I guess I'm in.
HLG, here. Are we restricted on wood sizes or anything? Minimum weight? By my eye, the plan printed out to be a 12-inch span, is that right?
Nito
applehoney
Titanium Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2008, 01:17:39 AM »

12" span is correct. I guess wood sizes should be as plan.
Incognito
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2008, 03:05:40 AM »

Wing halves are drying as I type. I used aliphatic resin glue, so it will be awhile. Should be ready later today, though. Now I have to decorate it! Decisions, decisions!
Nito
Incognito
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2008, 01:46:02 PM »

Worcraft Wonder #1 here came in at 7 grams on my little hanging postage scale. Too windy here to really give it a toss outside, but a couple of little tests (face into 10 m.p.h. wind and just let go, rather than throw) shows her to be pretty stable with just a bit of clay on the nose. It isn't going to need much trimming.

Pictures when I have decided how to decorate it.
Nito
Incognito
Bronze Member

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2008, 12:17:30 AM »

As promised. Picture of 7-gram Worcraft Wonder. Colored scruffily with a blue Sharpie on the fuse, then "painted" with acetone to blend the strokes (which was only partially successful).
BillB
OOS, December 2009
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: April 01, 2008, 02:44:40 PM »

Ay-up lads, I've put some 'graphics' on mine!

Bill.

Kev
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: April 01, 2008, 04:11:01 PM »

I Like it Nito - am making a third one for the weekend. She who must be obeyed has announced shes off to her moms for the FULL weekend. Cheesy Cheesy Wonders what to do with himself - hark is that the gliding club calling - wide open spaces.....the sound of the WW heading skywards... hee hee

Thermals
Kev
Kev
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: April 01, 2008, 04:11:47 PM »

Ay-up lads, I've put some 'graphics' on mine!

Bill.

How did you do that Huh?

K
BillB
OOS, December 2009
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: April 01, 2008, 05:11:19 PM »

Kev,

I took a photocopy of the plan, put it face down on a blank sheet of paper and transferred the image by using a pad just damp wih acetone (thinners will work too).
I then took the sheet with the reverse image on it and made a new photocopy at a reduced size. Then I used that the same way as before on the wing. Phew!!!!!!!

Bill.

It looks better in the flesh than on the photo.

hermit
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: April 01, 2008, 09:06:12 PM »

I got to the lumber store today, finally, picked out a piece of nice lite balsa, .92 board feet. Now if I did this right it comes out weighing just under 5lbs per cubic foot! Pretty nice stuff, so mine should be done tomorrow, cutting parts tonight.

Hermit
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: