Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
November 21, 2019, 06:47:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Worcraft Wonder - vintage HLG/CLG -Official Cookup-  (Read 5175 times)
Sundance12
Model Airplane Builder
Global Moderator
Platinum Member

Kudos: 71

Canada Canada

MAAC #25680, VE4BDF (amateur radio callsign)

« Reply #50 on: April 01, 2008, 09:39:14 PM »

Well I am officially making my entry known. I worked on it a whole 3 hours, don't know what it weights but it's light. I have made a test flight and it's a little nose heavy with my nose weight so I get to take some weight away.

Yes I like the Pink,
Don't care what anyone Think
I'll be dancing under the Sun
With this pink One.

Sundance12
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Worcraft Wonder - vintage HLG/CLG -Official Cookup-

Resources and tools for scratch builders and plans builders.
www.northof49tech.com
Dan G.
OOS, November 2010
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: April 02, 2008, 12:02:34 AM »

Bill ... that's a good looking piece of wood.

Sundance ... what a nice looking job! Very pretty.

Dan G.

Dan Garsonnin CA - Will be missed by all that knew him.
hermit
Gold Member

Kudos: 52

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: April 02, 2008, 12:37:21 PM »

Here's my finished little wonder. Had a heck of a time trying to get the cg right. Just me being dumb I think, I marked the spot on the fuse where the plan says to balance it, then would try and balance the beast with my finger tips under the wing next to the fuse at the marks. Doesn't work. Way too nose heavy, it would go up, then it would come down, quickly. Once I extended that mark out to the wing tips in a straight line, things got better. It will now glide across the back yard, which of course put it in collision with the fence, ouch, reglue, and go again. Wants to turn left, but glides pretty nice and flat. Hopefully the weather is nice this weekend and I can get to the schoolyard. Pink is good Bruce, but purple is gooder! Maybe Pink and purple would be goodest!!!!!

Hermit
BillB
OOS, December 2009
Silver Member

Kudos: 24

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: April 02, 2008, 01:58:29 PM »

Bruce, Doug,
Nice pair of gliders, but both your colour schemes are going to get me in hot water when my granddaughter see's them. They are her two favourite colours, and she's going to want to know why I didn't do mine that way!
Mine balances just in front of the trailing edge and floats like a bubble (!), but I haven't given it a good chuck yet. Things may change!

Bill.

Bill Brown UK - Will be missed by all that knew him.
albackstrom
OOS, August 2010
Gold Member

Kudos: 21

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: April 02, 2008, 04:00:53 PM »

Bill is the 12" span after dihedral is added? My dwg printedout with the wing panels 6 3/16 each. Span willbe about 12" when dihedral s added/

Al Backstrom USA - Will be missed by all that knew him.
BillB
OOS, December 2009
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: April 02, 2008, 05:04:27 PM »

Al,
My print on A4 paper scales correctly at 12" span. If you have used a different paper size you have to fiddle with the printer settings to get it to print correctly. Someone better qualified than me will have to tell you what to do.

Bill.

Kev
Bronze Member

Kudos: 10

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: April 02, 2008, 05:35:00 PM »

Ok - it seems we are all building but the one person I really need to. Someone kindly give applehoney a gentle push towards the modelling room door and badger him to get on and build some thing. It would be the first thing since his heart attack last month and would do him good. Goad him, badger, push, PM, drag - what ever way, I want one built by him by the weekend. Do I have to stand naked with the ww in a strategic place as a way of threatening him Huh

- someone inspire him please!!!!
applehoney
Titanium Member

Kudos: 279

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: April 02, 2008, 06:45:10 PM »

Do I have to stand naked with the ww in a strategic place as a way of threatening him - someone inspire him please!!!!

Yes, please - can I have a photo? All you need is a 6" "Tiny Egg" though ....

Heart attack has nutt'n to do with it .. haven't done anything since mid-May!! 60+ year building burnout, methinks .... :'(
Dan G.
OOS, November 2010
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: April 02, 2008, 10:05:06 PM »

I hear ya, applehoney ... but I'm still glad you're here.

Dan G.

Mooney
Gold Member

Kudos: 30

Whenever possible, fly with the sun at your back

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: April 02, 2008, 10:36:42 PM »

I think it's all gotten too easy for him, Kev.
Maybe he needs to take on a multi-winged, canard job to challenge him. Grin
Or maybe start flying some of those models without the DT's armed?

While I can fully understand a burnout after a lifetime of building, I would've never
guessed it could happen to a guy like Jim. I hope it's temporary.
BillB
OOS, December 2009
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: April 03, 2008, 08:12:46 AM »

All together now.

JIM, BUILD IT!

Bill.

(Will that do it Kev?)

Dimeflyer
Platinum Member

Kudos: 55

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: April 04, 2008, 06:03:25 PM »

I built one of the WW gliders and am trying to post pictures so here goes? Well as usual it's not working. It worked on the practice area so why is it not giving me an attachment button to post pictures?

Hey it worked! Don't know why it did or why it did not. Wow this glider goes great, it flew right of the board! I used foam for the tail feathers, hope that's allowed?

George
applehoney
Titanium Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: April 04, 2008, 07:32:56 PM »

Well done, George. Be interesting to hear how the foam holds up on a catapult launch
BillB
OOS, December 2009
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: April 04, 2008, 07:43:01 PM »

Go for it George. Mine is going up tomorrow, whether it likes it or not!

Bill.

hermit
Gold Member

Kudos: 52

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: April 04, 2008, 08:09:32 PM »

Nice one George, wish mine did as well. Tried a cat launch with mine Jim, went over my head and came back to whack me from behind! I'll try a little more nose weight.

Doug
Dimeflyer
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: April 04, 2008, 09:12:28 PM »

Jim,

It's hlg only. I already tried my thin foam on a cat and it goes south for the duration!! So that's one lesson I don't need to repeat for a while! I don't think I will need a cat launch to get it to fly farther than I want to chase it any way! I barely gave it a real light push into a stiff breeze today when I came home from work and it nearly went into the neighbor's yard and that's about 100' farther than i wanted it to go!

Anyway thanks guys! I will have to see what crayons I have for coloring it (LOL).

I don't know how much it weighs so can't tell you that? Other than that it's pretty much as the plan calls for. I will say this, that's the first time I have carved and sanded a set of wings in at least a hundred years or so it seems. It was a pleasant surprise from such a small glider to see it go so well! Thanks for talking me into joining in with you all! It was definitely worth the time and wood + glue to do it! Now I need to find some one to give it a good home!

George
Dimeflyer
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: April 04, 2008, 09:34:14 PM »

Bill
You need not worry about this design handling the wind, it thinks it's a real bird!
I agree with you on the statement to Jim! Build it, you will love the little plane and it doesn't take a lot of balsa to make it or glue or time. It took maybe 3 - 3 1/2 hrs and I was goofing around tormenting Pat and the dog most of the time. I think it surprised Pat too!
George
applehoney
Titanium Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: April 04, 2008, 11:01:36 PM »

Build it Jim you will love the little plane

You're telling me, George? I got involved with this design long ago when the plan surfaced - great little design!
Dan G.
OOS, November 2010
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: April 05, 2008, 01:39:53 AM »

hermit ... if your plane wants to loop only during the launch, you might consider removing nose-weight. Sounds like you have to much incidence differential (what do we call that, if not decalage?), and by the time you put some down elevator in, you'll be looking to reduce the nose-weight to flatten the glide -- it then should glide better then before, though.

Dan G.

Kev
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: April 05, 2008, 03:24:19 AM »

Mine is ready for another trip out today - however, the weather is awful. Unless something improves, wont be getting the full size glider out. However, I can fly it indoor and we have a nice hangar.... wonder what the CFI will say!!!!

K
Incognito
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: April 05, 2008, 09:43:47 AM »

Tossed mine around in the side yard a wee bit. The thing pretty much flew off the board! I added what seemed like a LOT of nose weight, though. I'm building a second one with some added pieces of 1/16th laminated to either side of the nose to make a kind of "bulb." Now that I think about it, before I did that, I should have drilled a hole in the original fuse to embed some rolled solder.

It's flight potential far exceeds the area available in in my yard. It'll be a few days before I can get it to a field to give it a real test.
Nito
applehoney
Titanium Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: April 05, 2008, 10:18:26 AM »

I can fly it indoor and we have a nice hangar.... wonder what the CFI will say!!!!

I can imagine what he'd say if you punch it through a sailplane wing ......
Kev
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: April 07, 2008, 02:01:04 AM »

Had a completely empty hanger yesterday. That way I could not break anything!!! Problem was pops, it was also thermic and so left the WW in the car and took the PW5 away for a few soaring flights instead. 101 solos and counting!!!
GrahamC

« Reply #73 on: April 07, 2008, 08:02:28 PM »

Ok, I'm in too.

Plans downloaded, printed out and some templates cut out (I always make templates so that the 2nd, 3rd etc ones are even quicker to build). I have some wood picked out and will begin cutting tomorrow night.

Even if I get one done before the weekend I won't have anyplace to fly for a while, still about 3 feet of snow on all the fields and once that is gone it will be a week of mud. Might just have some times for Jim's postal by months end.

cheers, Graham in Ottawa
flinger

« Reply #74 on: April 09, 2008, 04:38:29 PM »

Shocked OK thanks for the plans --- I got the wingspan at 12" and is the body also 9-1/2" as well? I will then assume that all else is in scale. One final question. are there any other changes to convert to CLG than cutting a notch under the wing leading edge? --- I also plan to use some 1/32" or 1/64"ply around the launching notch, for extra protection to the balsa. So if this is it I am on my way to add a few more gliders to the hangar. I am next going to move to building some TLG's to the clan. Shoul dhav eat least siz different gliders ready for a couple of flings.  Roll Eyes "Da Flinger"
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: