Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
October 23, 2019, 02:49:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Worcraft Wonder - vintage HLG/CLG -Official Cookup-  (Read 5068 times)
BillB
OOS, December 2009
Silver Member

Kudos: 24

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: April 12, 2008, 11:14:05 AM »

I've just taken my grandson, the dog and the Wonder to a nearby field and gave the Wonder a couple or so launches. It goes great! My grandson also gave it a toss and was very pleased (he's six). The way it just floated through the air is a good sign for when I get it to a bigger field where I can cat launch it. Considering that this is my first chuck glider for 50 years, I am well pleased!

Bill.

Bill Brown UK - Will be missed by all that knew him.
Dan G.
OOS, November 2010
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: April 12, 2008, 02:38:16 PM »

Well ... congratulations, Bill. They say you can't go back again ... but chucking a glider is about as close as it gets. Wasn't your first model flying experience one of doing just that? It is an impulse which has never left me. The first thing I want to do upon arriving at an open area of any size at all, let alone a flying field, is to toss something into the air and watch it fly. I could not avoid that impulse any more than I could stand motionless, on a gravel bar made of flat stones, surrounded by water. Those stones will be in serious need of skipping.

That impulse seems fundamental to my nature, and to the nature of small boys everywhere. I accede to it -- cultivate it -- it is so very basic, and it does sort of take you back.

I bet your grandson is very impressed and I bet that the two of you can get a bit closer very quickly with so fundamental an activity as throwing something and letting it fly.

Er ... don't let me try to sell you on anything, though ...

Dan G.

Dan Garsonnin CA - Will be missed by all that knew him.
BillB
OOS, December 2009
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: April 14, 2008, 05:26:37 PM »

Dan, you won't sell me anything, ain't got any money!

Went out again yesterday to try and improve my launch technique. I soon found out that where it was lacking, I was compensating with ineptitude!
I'm making a catapult, these old arms are never going to throw anything to a worthwhile height.
You'd all have enjoyed watching the action though! Mainly me falling over, getting up and wondering where the plane was. Is that why it's called the Wonder?

Bill.

Dan G.
OOS, November 2010
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: April 14, 2008, 06:41:42 PM »

Yah ... Bill ... sorry, old arms don't throw well. Sounds like you made a valiant effort.

The catapult should work well, though ... at least a lot easier. Your little grandson should have an easier time of it, too.

Dan G.

Dan Garsonnin CA - Will be missed by all that knew him.
Dimeflyer
Platinum Member

Kudos: 55

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: April 16, 2008, 07:56:19 PM »

Hey Guys
I'm going to try putting up some pics of my latest HLG. Well, they went on but you can't see much detail in this light so I will have to try again when the sun is out and I don't need the overheads.
George
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Worcraft Wonder - vintage HLG/CLG -Official Cookup-
oldjim

« Reply #80 on: April 16, 2008, 09:55:44 PM »

I'd like to try this but I'll need some explaining, perhaps. I've never participated in a cookup.

I do think the design is classically elegant or something like that. Where are the plans???

btw, I've dusted off some old hlg's, and i'll try to get out for a bit of flying tomorrow with my grandnephew Matt. He's 10 years old and is about at the age where he might become infected....but he didn't grow up in the golden age of aviation...didn't learn the planes of WWII...but he does enjoy computer games. That's inside! hlg is outside....maybe the fresh air will help with the infection. Cheesy

Jim
applehoney
Titanium Member

Kudos: 279

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: April 16, 2008, 10:00:12 PM »

Where are the plans???

Jim, you'll find them in the Plans Gallery

Jim
hermit
Gold Member

Kudos: 52

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: April 20, 2008, 10:58:37 AM »

Finally got our computer woes worked out, so I've got some catching up to do, again, but it sure is nice to see so many Wonders showing up, and flying so well! Drat, mine still has a case of the loops and now a broken fuse. Never say die right, this thing is going to fly yet!

Keep it up guys
Hermit
GrahamC

« Reply #83 on: April 21, 2008, 06:11:31 PM »

Ok, here's mine.

About 12 grams, no fancy markings just yet.

I shouldn't have believed the CG marked on the plan - way too nose heavy. The 1/64 ply on the front is hiding a carved out hole with ballast. Easy enough job to remove some so it should be ok.

Most of Winters snow has gone but the fields are pretty wet just yet so serious flying will have to wait a week or so.

cheers, Graham in Ottawa
BillB
OOS, December 2009
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: April 22, 2008, 01:58:45 AM »

Graham,

Mine flies with the CG just in front of the wing trailing edge. I thought it was just me that ignored the plan!

Bill.

Dimeflyer
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: April 22, 2008, 07:05:50 PM »

Hey guys
Mine flies dead on the mark on the plan but I'm doing it as an hlg - not a clg - so I can't say anything about where you guys are balanced or where you have the launch hook set.
George
hermit
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: April 27, 2008, 03:34:38 PM »

My little Wonder actually flew today! Still nothing spectacular, but after reading Kevins HLG directions I manged to get it to stay up longer than "It went up, (slight pause) it came down." These things seem really touchy as far as adjustments go, I mean fractions of a millimeter. Even got a nice transition a couple of times with no loss of altitude. Hooray!

Hermit
Kev
Bronze Member

Kudos: 10

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: April 29, 2008, 02:06:35 AM »

lower the right wing more as you release it - that way she will go up in a right hand turn and not straight up. Its a different set up flying a hlg vertical.

I would just breathe in some wash out to the stab next to the fin. Also, to make her roll quicker on the top and in the climb, add some wash out to the right hand side of the stab. That helps a lot.

If flying as a clg, then just do the above and she should sort herself out with hardly any loss of altitude as is rolling on the climb and then flops into the glide quicker.

Best wishes

Kev Smiley
hermit
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: April 29, 2008, 10:32:26 AM »

Thanks Kev. I did figure out that part about launching with a tilt to the right, seemed to need quite a bit actually and almost wound up launching it sidearm sometimes and more at a ninety degree angle to the slight breeze (or more) and a pretty slight up angle. The wind started to get up when I quit and I was tired of chasing it across the park. Was getting about 30 feet of altitude when it worked just right and it would gain altitude when it pointed it's nose into the breeze so that's a pretty major step forward for me. May try cat launching next time out and with a touch of washout in the right stab half.

Doug
oldjim

« Reply #89 on: April 30, 2008, 08:17:04 AM »

Attached are two photos of my construction of the Wonder. I'll try to fly it this afternoon.
hermit
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: April 30, 2008, 10:56:36 AM »

Like the red trim Jim, glad you got one done and here's hoping for some good flights.

Hermit
BillB
OOS, December 2009
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: April 30, 2008, 02:31:45 PM »

Nice one, Jim. Very nice indeed. Now make it fly!

Good luck,

Bill.

Dimeflyer
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: April 30, 2008, 08:31:21 PM »

I like the red trim to Jim! It looks real racelike with it red. I did not get to color mine, it went out the door with my Grand sons before i got that far! They got two of them yesterday afternoon and trashed one almost as soon as they got home but the W.W. is still flying so far ,whitch is a testament to it's strength as a plan ! I never even got to try any timed flights?

Man I got to put a lock on the craft room door or something!

Oh well have a good evening guys.

George
oldjim

« Reply #93 on: May 01, 2008, 05:24:45 AM »

Thank you all for comments and suggestions.

I flew the Wonder yesterday during the heat of mid day. Some light and variable wind. I got a couple of flights that were good enough to see the potential of the glider...nice large, three circles before landing...didn't time the flights, but none over 15 sec i'm sure.

I think I'll do my next outing late in the evening when the air is still. That should give me a better opportunity to trim the craft properly.

I did incorporate a couple of small dings into the new craft, so it now is an old veteran with developing character of its own, but... still flyable.

Question: Anyone reading in this thread ever built from an original WW kit or even seen an original kit? What was sold?? Plans and printwood??

I also took along the 30 year old class A version of the hlg whose B version photo I posted earlier. I did some serious patching on that ship including installing a silly putty dt which is the first one I have tried. Before I was using a fuse dt. I think the silly putty dt will work fine once I get the warps and balance in the old bird corrected and get it flying well again.

Sometimes I think a point is reached where it is better to rebuild than try to patch up and deal with the myriad of trimming changes needed to fly again, but old gliders are like old dogs...good friends that aren't discarded because of a few problems.
Dimeflyer
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: May 01, 2008, 04:19:17 PM »

Jim
Ahmen to old friends and good dogs! They are a gift from God not to be taken lightly or abandoned carelessly!
George
oldjim

« Reply #95 on: May 13, 2008, 10:45:32 PM »

Flew the WW again this evening. Last heat of the day with a late thermal or two, but mostly calm. I had gotten some 1/4" tan sport rubber to use with my catapult, and it worked much better than the stronger rubber band I have used previously...gave a much smoother launch.

Trim is getting better as is launch technique. I had one flight that was good...long, circling, and for a few seconds I thought it might become an OOS flight.

Alas, when I started a second round of flights with the WW, during launch I (blush, blush, shame to admit) hit my arm with the wing which resulted in the fuselage breaking into. First time this has happened to me, and I'm probably the only one who has ever had this happen...no, there might be one or two others who have.

No problem. I have nice bamboo groves. I'll take some bamboo, make some very thin, very small strips, then when I rejoin the fuselage, I'll glue a strip down each side. Mother Nature's carbon fiber rod... Next time this happens, the fuselage won't break. Will probably be my arm if the wing doesn't fail. Smiley

WW is a grand glider...really nice to have made it and followed this string of comments.

Thank you all for your comments and advice.

old jim
julio
Gold Member

Kudos: 17

Argentina Argentina

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: May 14, 2008, 08:49:51 PM »

Mother Nature's carbon fiber rod...

Oldjim
Nice definition for bamboo. Useful tip to follow too.
Sad about the fuselage breaking. Hope you get repaired soon and flying again!

Julio

I think I will stay a novice forever.
crashcaley
Palladium Member

Kudos: 239

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: May 24, 2008, 07:50:06 PM »

Hi Everyone. Dimeflyer pointed me to this thread to see what was happening. I've the WW plan courtesy of Kev and Jim Moseley. I was attempting to build a glider for a youngster to take to the flying field tomorrow, and had chosen the Kiwi. The wing plan looks very much the same. Unfortunately, I couldn't get a glide from the Kiwi. Hard throws and it did the lawn dart act. Slow throws and very quick decents. So I finally gave up. I will try this one and see what happens.

What is the wood sizes and types for the WW? I don't see any dimensions or wood selection tips on the plan. I would imagine that it is probably fuselage 1/8 hard, wing 1/8 medium and tail feathers 1/16 medium. Anyway, I will try this one and in the meantime give the young boy a simple rubber powered airplane to hold him over till I build this one.

Caley

What's stall speed?  Undecided
applehoney
Titanium Member

Kudos: 279

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: May 24, 2008, 11:06:01 PM »

Caley, your sizes are OK .. sand the tail surfaces a tad to maybe 1/20" approx. if you feel inclined but not entirely necessary.

I did get as far as putting a wing together ...... weeks ago
hermit
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: May 24, 2008, 11:19:48 PM »

Jim! You're almost done! Would a gentle nudge be in order?

Good to see your participation Caley, give it a go. Once I finally got mine to do something, it was a real hoot!

Doug
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: