Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
November 17, 2019, 10:26:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Worcraft Wonder - vintage HLG/CLG -Official Cookup-  (Read 5160 times)
Kev
Bronze Member

Kudos: 10

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: March 24, 2008, 01:42:27 PM »

Just spent a pleasant hour knocking up a small hlg which converts to Clg and flies like a dream. Its a quick build model, nothing startling but on the catapult, its gets an incredible amount of height.

It flew off the board for me this afternoon - then nipped up to the local sports field and had an interesting ten minutes before snow fall stopped play. Was getting an easy thirty seconds - however, that was not on full power and there was a breeze, so rather than keep tramping on the farmers field, returned to the car and warmth again.

Have sent a couple of photos to my father so he can reduce them size wise and then post to here for you.
Its a small model but its worth its weight for fun, ease of build and the pleasure it gives. Have the drawing in two parts if anyone interested.

Just great to be messing again and will take to the airfield this coming weekend as I am back in the full size ship that I fly. A whole airfield to myself is fantastic. went this morning but we did not have enough to fly, so came home, scanned plans and built this model instead. All needed was a tad of left turn.

Best wishes
Kev
applehoney
Titanium Member

Kudos: 279

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 03:44:37 PM »

To hear is to obey .... herewith the photos of Kevin's "Worcraft Wonder"

This is a good little design - only 12" span and originally kitted in England around 1946 by Worcraft, of dewsbury, Yorkshire. Outstanding when flown as a CLG, I've built and lost two of them in the past .. a recommended model.

Jim
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Worcraft Wonder - vintage HLG/CLG -Official Cookup-
BillB
OOS, December 2009
Silver Member

Kudos: 24

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 04:01:52 PM »

'Have the drawing in two parts if anyone interested.'

You've talked me into it Kev. Been looking for a vintage CLG.

Bill. ( [email protected])

Bill Brown UK - Will be missed by all that knew him.
hermit
Gold Member

Kudos: 52

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 04:10:15 PM »

Me too please.

[email protected]
hermit
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008, 04:44:02 PM »

Could we have the makings for the first Hip Pocket Cook-Up?
Sundance12
Model Airplane Builder
Global Moderator
Platinum Member

Kudos: 71

Canada Canada

MAAC #25680, VE4BDF (amateur radio callsign)

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2008, 05:14:00 PM »

Make it so hermit, it's in your hands now. Make an official announcement and we will place it into the appropriate section when things get announced. Remember some people are not familiiar with the Cookup order of play so you may have to spell it out a bit.

Sundance12
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 05:29:14 PM by Sundance12 » Logged

Resources and tools for scratch builders and plans builders.
www.northof49tech.com
hermit
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2008, 06:21:02 PM »

So how about it guys? You think? We could fill the skys! Thanks for the plan Kev, that was fast. It looks pretty simple to build and your imaginations could do wonders with color. I'm sure Kev and Dan would help get us airborne.
BillB
OOS, December 2009
Silver Member

Kudos: 24

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2008, 06:51:21 PM »

Go on then!

Bill.

Bill Brown UK - Will be missed by all that knew him.
Sundance12
Model Airplane Builder
Global Moderator
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2008, 07:17:45 PM »

I am setting a Poll in motion to gauge the interest in a Cookup for HLG/CLG of the Vintage variety. Any takers? Any suggestions please chime in.

Bruce
Sundance12

www.northof49tech.com
flinger

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2008, 09:10:24 PM »

Grin Gliders, gliders, gliders----I love 'em. Cheap and easy to build and more hours of fun than it's legal. Plans are always a beautiful offering, I am just starting with a new H/L with viscous timer and tail boom D/T. But have plenty of Balsa to make a few more---the more I carry with me to fly, the more fun I have. Cool "da flinger"
hermit
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2008, 09:13:20 PM »

This is what I was thinking.

Cook ups can do a number of things, get a bunch of guys building, teach, entertain, learn, they can be an impetus to get someone out of a building funk, or a logical next step up in difficulty, or they can help get that long overdue project finished. They can be long, intricate, hard, easy, one make, one plane, one style, or one color, or anything else that you can think of with a common theme.

This one would be simple, quick, one plane, and probably be more fun afterwards than during. It could fit into a schedule easily, between or during other builds, the plan is readily available, and we have a number of experienced hands aboard to help get things flying once they're done. Being a single plane build, you have the opportunity to learn from others mistakes (probably mine mostly) and have the best chance ever of getting a cat launch flying well and that's the kicker for me. And you've got to love that name "Worcraft Wonder"!

The more the merrier, so can we get 10 going here?!!!!

Hermit the Brave (with the big mouth)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 10:13:26 PM by Sundance12 » Logged
JohnDowland

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2008, 11:05:18 PM »

And you've got to love that name "Worcraft Wonder"! The more the merrier, so can we get 10 going here?!!!!

The name's pretty compelling. I Googled a bit and got a lot of Fantasy Gamer sites--those guys either think grammar and spelling are superfluous, or they're all off to Berber King for lunch. You choose.

I'm in. What else'm I doing that'll further the cause of World Peace?

Michael
applehoney
Titanium Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2008, 11:55:22 PM »

I guess it would be too blatant a 'plug' to mention that the Worldwide Postal has a 6-flight event for HLG/CLG's up to 12" span .. just the right size for the 'Wonder' ... so I'll refrain from mentioning it ....
hermit
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2008, 12:26:48 AM »

Geesh! 5 in a couple of hours, by tomorrow at this time we should be up to oh, about 47! Julio, you in? George? Black Arrow? Figured Michael, think he mentioned something about a glider. Then me, and Bill, and Bruce, and...........

Better give us some more info on this Postal thing Jim, don't think I could do much here, but I figure next time I'm in Calgary I'll launch mine into a Chinook with the stop watch attached and get a friend to pick in up in Regina. Is that legal?

Hermit
applehoney
Titanium Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2008, 01:00:54 AM »

This postal closes April 30.  Six timed flights. Easy, eh?
Dan G.
OOS, November 2010
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2008, 01:46:36 AM »

Sorry to disappoint -- hermit.

It's not a lot of fun to deliver a negative message ... and I considered letting it slide and just not responding, but I'm not that cagey.

I am the one "not interested" vote in the poll.

I confess that I'm not actively building, and I don't dash things off unless it's for a school and I absolutely must.

And were I building, I'm afraid that vintage hlg is pretty far down on my priority list. But, I will be interested in the development and what people have to say. I will be following ... cheering ... from the sidelines ....

Dan G.

You know ... I'm not sure whether people would rather see a negative vote or no vote at all ....

Dan Garsonnin CA - Will be missed by all that knew him.
hermit
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2008, 08:47:41 AM »

Dan, not to worry. Cheering is good.

Doug
Kev
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2008, 02:18:47 PM »

a - whats a cook up?
b - whats this thing about a poll?

c - I just wanna fly!!!
hermit
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2008, 03:59:45 PM »

Something that usually involves chili, but with us balsa bashers just means a group of builders all get together to build something. Sort of like a build session at the club house, except long distance charges apply. Team spirit and that hoorah, hoorah stuff! Clear as mud right? And the Poll is just to find out if enough want to do it and share the misery, er, fun! That's it fun! Then we all get to fly em. More fun! You should get a kick out of this one Kev, watching us all come crawling, whimpering, begging for the little tidbits of knowledge to get them up in the air. Anybody started yet? I may get some balsa sheet cut this afternoon.

Hermit
Kev
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2008, 04:55:12 PM »

Thanks for that - never really had much of an idea what folks were on about. Now I understand.

As a further point but forgot to mention, as this model is a hlg, I nicked out underneath an inverted V for the catapult rubber to go. However, in order to strengthen it, I do tend to take a modelling pin and insert it through the fuz all the way as far as I can. I then cut the end, remove it, then cyano the hole, insert the pin again and wait for it to dry. Finally, I make sure the end is flush and not sticking out. I don't mind you building the airplane, just don't bleed all over it!

I do also add some epoxy and use as a filler between wing and fuz. Just drip it in, wet the finger and smooth it out. Smooth as silk and leave to dry. Just makes life a little easier and the joints stronger. Remember, as she climbs, shes pulling a lot of g's and don't want the wings torn off.

Kev
Looking at his discuss model which has been in a state of build over a year and never finished. Nearly completed wing is gathering dust on the top of the unit. Just needs checking with the micrometer again - I Like to leave them a few months once built to settle before going any further...  Cheesy
Kev
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2008, 05:07:59 PM »

Okay okay - I am back at the flying club this weekend - will take the wee thing out in between flights in the PW5. Given that I have a full airfield to myself, the max is??? Amount of flights are?? More than one entry?Huh hlg or clg??? shot shoulder socket or is clg allowed?Huh Sighs.=  Honestly, he's never happy with me since flying out to be there for him earlier this month. Now he wants me to fly his event as well.......
Parents Cheesy Cheesy
Kev
Bronze Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2008, 05:27:20 PM »

Heres the wee airplane. Note that the left wing tip is not on the scan and I have never had it. Just make one side - cut it, make another the same and then sand and join together.

I did take mine out onto the car park at work today - only office staff in. Nice hand glides, large left circles. Did not go any further as figured 20 people watching me freeze was humiliation enough!

Need to persuade dad to make one now. Go on - take you on. 30 secs then up 10 increments!

Kev

Note from Ratz: The full size higher resolution version of this is available in the Plan Gallery.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Mooney
Gold Member

Kudos: 30

United States United States

Whenever possible, fly with the sun at your back

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2008, 05:32:30 PM »

What qualifies it as a "vintage" clg or hlg?
Interesting cookup.

Moon
hermit
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2008, 05:51:55 PM »

Okay, we got 8, that's good enough for me. So who all signed up? Make yourselves know, and when do you all want to start? Now is ok with me, if you got wood start cutting. if not, better get some.

Bill just mentioned to me that this could be the shortest cook-up ever, and he's right, these things won't take long to do, but it could also be a long one as other people find it and join in. Sometimes these things take on a life of their own and just keep hopping along.

What else do you guys want for this besides the build? Anything? Certain "fly it" day? A real quick and dirty timed thing, or not to bother? We could all vote for the best dressed and award, um, well something. You tell me.

Hermit
Sundance12
Model Airplane Builder
Global Moderator
Platinum Member

Canada Canada

« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2008, 06:09:28 PM »

I'm in

Bruce
Sundance12

www.northof49tech.com
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: