Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 22, 2019, 04:05:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 2010 One Design, Country Boy  (Read 1011 times)
Scottl0413
Gold Member

Kudos: 10

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: November 11, 2009, 01:45:05 PM »

Well, I thought I'd get this thread started early so the build discussions can begin. Below are pics of my finished 1/2A Country Boy. For those of you that don't know it's the one design plane for the 2010 flying season. The plane was built from a BMJR laser cut kit. All pcs. fit perfectly as is expected from a well designed laser cut kit. I was disappointed when the finished weight came in over 8 ozs. Sad Stab covering was Polyspan light with 4 coats of dope thinned 50%, wing covering was regular Polyspan with 4 coats of 50% thinned dope. Fus. has one coat of 50% thinned Z-poxy than 4 coats of 50% thinned dope. As you can see I had to move the engine way out front to get to the recommended 80% CG. Test glides look very good so far. I'm going to have to have a very strong TD in order to handle the added weight! Angry All in all I really like the design of the Country Boy and am looking forward to flying. Lightening up the plane would not be a problem if it where scratch built.

Scott
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
2010 One Design, Country Boy
applehoney
Titanium Member

Kudos: 279

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 01:49:29 PM »

Lightening up the plane would not be a problem if it where scratch built.

Says a lot for scratch building....

Looks good, Scott.
glidermaster
Gold Member

Kudos: 16

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 03:30:04 PM »

It looks good, Scott, very nicely done!

I'm not familiar with the design, but it looks fairly large for a 1/2A - if that's true, then the 8+oz. may not be too big a deal.

Stripping the stab. and covering with Esaki (or build new and cover with Esaki) might be a simple way to shave off a little, then a lighter motor mount could be used.

I look forward to flight reports - have fun!
John

Gliders are a part of me.
CapnRog

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2009, 01:59:16 AM »

Here's a photo of the one I built in 1992, from an original ClemCraft kit. It flew like it was on rails. Unfortunately, I got contest jitters and ran the rubber bands for the tail over the DT line for the last flight at a contest in Seguin Texas. Needless to say, it was never seen again. I guess it is time to build another! I bought two kits...
Re: 2010 One Design, Country Boy
Craig G

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2010, 08:54:15 PM »

Just started on my Country Boy this week. Also from the BMJR kit, so it's bound to be a little porky when done. Not sure how strong my TD is but it'll have to do. Using a TT Micro shutoff and a badge timer for DT.
Olbill
Titanium Member

Kudos: 66

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2010, 12:35:35 AM »

I'm going to have to have a very strong TD in order to handle the added weight!

Scott, I know where you can get one!
Pit
Palladium Member

Kudos: 129

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2010, 04:01:02 AM »

There have been a load of TD's on Ebay over here lately. Many NiB, but the asking prices are totally outrageous Shocked! One guy was asking 179 Euros for a TD .020 and the same for a .051 (buy now) - used ones are going for anywhere between 50 - 100 Euros. I think COX should have their heads examined - even tho there WERE other engines that were more powerful and maybe even better, they didn't last very long and in one case, too da*#ed expensive.

A Dedicated Convert to:
WWWoFF (Wonderfull Wacky World of Free Flight)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
Craig G

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2010, 07:09:13 PM »

Coming together. Just needs some color on the fuse and to set up the DT. No idea what it weighs but it balances pretty close so far.
Re: 2010 One Design, Country Boy
craig h
Gold Member

Kudos: 4

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2013, 12:17:32 PM »

Whatever happened to the results of these fine built Country Boys'! How did they fly and did they place in contests ?
 Just following up..

Craig h
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: