Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 18, 2020, 06:33:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: New Model - for OS15FP  (Read 7707 times)
PeeTee
Titanium Member

Kudos: 50

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: March 20, 2013, 02:47:52 PM »

Nice looking model John! How soon will you be able to get out and fly it? The weather here is still awful and I have models queueing up for trimming Sad

Peter
glidermaster
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: March 20, 2013, 05:47:15 PM »

Ditto Peter, I never thought I'd live anywhere where it rained more than Bristol (UK), but lo and behold I do.
Absolutely thrashing down, it is................... Sad

I have a few models ready or near ready, and a couple of long term repairs that are coming up to being flyable.

I just finished a 20gram open rubber model that I'm fairly pleased with, I should post a picture of that, too.

Gliders are a part of me.
gossie
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: March 20, 2013, 07:09:54 PM »

Agree, looks great John.
   We have had lots of rain here also.    It rained EVERYDAY from the 15th February until last weekend when we had a sunny one for a change, whilst we were away for a short break south of here.
  Rained again yesterday though, and it's a dark looking morning here.

I took a couple of pics of my beast underway........still a lot to go though.

Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: New Model - for OS15FP
gossie
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: March 23, 2013, 12:24:49 AM »

"glidermaster", where would you like the CG to end up on your power model?

Mines tail heavy at the moment before covering the stab etc. up the back.
  About 75% at the moment with that lump of a 40 rubber banded to the bearers.........I think I might need to re-hash the pylon to get the wing back a bit......I'd like my CG to be 50 to 60% as the other things I have with a 25 to 30% tail and VIT.
If I had had the brain power to have the wooden bearers longer things might have been okay, but I thought that motor was just sooooooo heavy it should balance about right.    Boo hiss.
glidermaster
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: March 23, 2013, 01:22:08 AM »

Hi Howard,
My model has a 25% tail area, and I would have liked the CG to be ahead of 70% - I guess I got a bit carried away with the paint brush!
I guess I'll be making up a spacer or something to put between the mount and the front bulkhead.

Or, as I speculated, bolt another 20% of engine weight (and power) on the front.

gossie
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: March 23, 2013, 07:09:23 AM »

At 70% your better than me.    I could add weight on the nose, but don't want to do that.

I'm going to re-hash the pylon.   I did some navel gazing this afternoon and will add about 3 or 4 cm to the rear then extend the wing mount back......not hard to do......will then cut the front of the pylon at where the front of the wing is on more of an angle to the bottom front of the pylon.  It should look very streamlined and fast.

Will also set the stab. back as far it will go close to the VIT/DT arm.
glidermaster
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: April 17, 2013, 12:07:42 AM »

Sister ships, waiting for a spell of good weather.
Good enough today to get the lawn cut, but not good enough for flying.

gossie
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: April 17, 2013, 01:31:42 AM »

Pretty, and pretty. Smiley
Scottl0413
Gold Member

Kudos: 10

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: April 17, 2013, 08:47:49 AM »

They are beautiful! Can't wait to hear about there flying!

Scott
glidermaster
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: April 24, 2013, 01:24:38 PM »

One stray detail on this build is the subject of fuel proofer.
I have, for a long time, used Ripmax Tuf-Kote, but used the last of my stock on an F1C wing recently.
During the search for an alternate I came across a water based paint WR-LPU - also available in clear and in small quantities, so I bought some.

I mixed a small sample of the clear and put it on a repaired wing tip of a 1/2A - 24hrs later I put some neat 25% nitro on the patch. It performed extremely poorly.

I had previously put some red WR-LPU on something else (not a model), and out of curiosity I put a pool of 25% nitro on that, too. The fuel didn't mark the finish at all - i.e. it performed extremely well, so the front of the new model is WR-LPU red - but I still need something for the doped wing and tail. MECOA sells some (apparently) crystal clear epoxy, so I guess I'll be getting some of that.

John

FF Bruce
Gold Member

Kudos: 13

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: April 24, 2013, 09:31:15 PM »

John,
   I'm on the same page as you.I'm not happy at all with clear Klass coat but the paint works fine.I'm going to try Fuller Plast.Used it in the 70's with good results only stopped using it because K&B super poxy came out and it worked so great.Friends love the way plast works ,I'll let you know how well it holds up to nitro.   Bruce   
flydean1
Platinum Member

Kudos: 25

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: April 24, 2013, 09:52:41 PM »

Where does one get Fuller Plast??
FF Bruce
Gold Member

Kudos: 13

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: April 25, 2013, 11:33:30 PM »

Dean had to make the old brain work but I did find a place I think it's in Florida, van-dee com/clear.htm   is there site.It's not cheep but if you can get a few guy's together and spilt it up it's not so bad.The smallest amount is a Gal. and that is $57 then there is the catalyst mixed at 16 to 1 a pint should do at $13 and if you need to spray it there's the thinner at $29 (some have used acetone).You might also try Aero Dyne they might sell it in smaller amounts. It was designed for guitars and they liked how easy it sanded and then polished out.        Bruce
glidermaster
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: April 26, 2013, 11:17:57 AM »

Does Fuller-Plast stink pretty badly, Bruce?

Ripmax Tuf-Kote does, but it's good fuel proofer, and I am thinking of trying to get my sister to send some over. Package quantities - about 1/2 pint costs $20 or so including catalyst.

Anyway, Tuf-Kote is really (I think) Rustin's Plastic Coating - which is available through Amazon in bigger quantities (I haven't checked shipping yet). It struck me that there were some similarities in the description of Fuller Plast - the smell would give it away, if it's the same stuff!

Another product we used in England was Interlux 2 Part boat paint, and it is very fuel proof - but expensive, and the catalyst didn't keep very well (we stored it in the fridge!) - I just spotted that they do a 2-part clear, available on Amazon for about $65 for a quart. If I hadn't just ordered a finishing epoxy from SystemThree I would probably get that.

Sorry for rambling.................

John

p.s. the VanDee place Bruce found was the only place I found that sells Fuller-Plast.

glidermaster
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: July 19, 2013, 01:26:29 AM »

First flight.

Shucks!

PeeTee
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: July 19, 2013, 02:30:45 AM »

John

Shame about that Sad .....................although  Monty Python would say "'tis but a scratch"  Roll Eyes

I hope it goes back together easily and you can get it airborne before the summer's out.

Peter
gossie
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: July 19, 2013, 06:16:40 AM »

Nasty, but fixable.    Guess it went hard right after launch?Huh    How long was the motor run???
RobinB
Silver Member

Kudos: 5

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: July 23, 2013, 04:29:43 AM »

Too much tail incidence on the power setting, John?

For every action, there is an equal and opposite malfunction.
glidermaster
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: July 23, 2013, 10:38:55 AM »

Yes Robin, there's an explanation in the 'Went Flyin' thread.

I've replayed the grizzly few seconds in my head, and I can't work out how the right tip got damaged. It went basically straight, and rolled the left wing down.

RobinB
Silver Member

Kudos: 5

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: July 24, 2013, 05:01:42 AM »

Could be the shockwave - any discontinuity or weak(er) point in its path will give.

Our old clubmate Derek Wain once towed an A/2 in at some speed - it stuck in the ground vertically.
Fus, root and inner panels took the stress but the tips both broke off at their joints.

Robin

For every action, there is an equal and opposite malfunction.
glidermaster
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: September 22, 2013, 10:45:37 PM »

The repair shop has made some progress.
Damage was not great - structurally, at least, but the covering suffered pretty badly.
Anyway, nearly there!

martynk
Silver Member

Kudos: 7

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: September 24, 2013, 11:17:35 AM »

A nice clean structural repair.

It will soon be airborne again, with just a hint of battle scarring.

Nice one

Martyn

--
Martyn
gossie
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: September 24, 2013, 05:52:12 PM »

They always fly better after a couple of repairs.
glidermaster
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: September 24, 2013, 07:48:46 PM »

I hope so, Howard, it couldn't have flown much worse than that first flight!

gossie
Platinum Member

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: September 25, 2013, 12:07:58 AM »

I hope so, Howard, it couldn't have flown much worse than that first flight!

Yeah I know, it's all a bit scary that first flight as one is never 100% sure just where they will head for.

A few weeks ago now I did get that 40 ship of mine gliding perfectly, nice and flat and floaty going to the right.  I have a good spot not far from here with a slope on it, and when the breeze is running up the slope gently it's ideal to get things gliding.
I had it set up where I thought it would be about correct, but when I pushed it away it went nose down so I kept screwing up the stab. until it looked good on the glide setting.  It has stab. tilt on it plus some right AR, so I felt quite comfortable with it.  No way could I fire any engine up there let alone a 40 with no muffler........I'd be arrested for sure.

I've just been up to a fairly small trimming field not too far away, got the 40 fired up with ear muffs on of course, ran the motor a couple of times and checked it did shut off at about three seconds then DT another couple of seconds later.
Tail was down about 3mm over glide setting with AR neutral.  It all takes to long and ya don't wanna bend it.
  Set it all up, fired it up and pushed it straight up hard, and at least it looked safe.  I made a couple of minor tweaks, did it again and can tell it's going right but I feel the nose is coming down at height, so that's where I'm at.
  Have screwed up the stab. with about 2mm difference between power and glide.  Maybe I'll do it again soon?Huh?  But I think I'll now just take it to our Nats. starting in December to hopefully get it going really properly on a fairly big field.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
Print
Jump to: