Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
January 24, 2020, 08:47:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Nostalgia "B" class gasser!  (Read 1234 times)
Scottl0413
Gold Member

Kudos: 10

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: November 23, 2009, 02:41:23 PM »

Well, I decided to build a new plane for a very old yet healthy Johnson 29 engine. Below are pics of the Ramrod 600 in it's bare bones. Started out with an old Berkley kit but soon after the start went to scratch build. Kit was iffy at [email protected]#$%&*. Will keep everyone up to date on progress!

Scott
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Nostalgia "B" class gasser!
Nostalgia "B" class gasser!
applehoney
Titanium Member

Kudos: 279

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 03:16:12 PM »

Good choice, Scott. Which model Johnson?

Are you using the downthrust indicated? General concensus is that 'rods fly better with it.

I had one in 1965 with ETA.29 .. no downthrust .. only model I've ever had that required an autorudder to be added to prevent a transition stall that could not be trimmed out and have often wondered if the correct thrustline would have obviated this need.

I occasionally look at my 600 plan and the 29R ..... I just do not like to weight a model that size up to 29 ounces.
gossie
Platinum Member

Kudos: 49

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009, 03:50:30 PM »

I like it. Smiley
ddock
Bronze Member

Kudos: 1

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009, 10:04:28 PM »

Scott,

For what its worth. I have tried to over power 2  Ram Rods! All those 1/2 ribs made for a rather large bag of SMASHED parts. >:(I'm going to build a third one and put a nice Green Head on it like it was designed for. Smiley Trust me, no one likes fast airplanes more than I do. I have had no luck trying to speed up a Ram Rod.Huh

DD
Scottl0413
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2009, 09:43:09 AM »

Jim, As you can see by the attached pic. I have built in the designed down thrust. I have a 250" Ramrod I fly in 1/2A nos. with the down thrust and it flys very well. The engine is a stunt Johnson 29 not the R version. I have also a very strong O.S. 29 Max III but I think the Johnson would make a better engine for this plane. The pic. below shows progress to date on the stab and the fus.

Scott
Re: Nostalgia "B" class gasser!
applehoney
Titanium Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2009, 10:11:02 AM »

Looking good ....
Wout Moerman
Gold Member

Kudos: 22

Netherlands Netherlands

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2009, 10:15:09 AM »

I have a 250" Ramrod

That's big! So this is your second Ramrod? How big will this one be? I'm not familiar with the Ramrod, but it looks very potent.

Rubber FF scale:
www.zininmodelvliegen.nl
Scottl0413
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2009, 11:17:35 AM »

Wout, this is a 600 sq. inch wing area Ramrod. They are built any where from 1/4A up to a D class (1,300 sq. inches). They are a very good flying nostalgia airplane. Pic. of the 250 attached.

Scott
craig h
Gold Member

Kudos: 4

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2009, 05:37:49 PM »

Would it make a good first time power ship for a newbie power flyer.

Craig h
brian pacelli

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2009, 06:31:32 PM »

I haven't built or flown a Ramrod, but if your looking for a beginner plane the T-Bird is never a bad choice. The advantage I see is that it uses about half the wood as the Ramrod, so a beginner will have an easier time getting it down to weight. Also, Lee Campbell makes 3 sizes (1/4A, 1/2A, and AB). It's a high thrust so the power pattern is a simple L/L.

Sorry if it's a little off topic...

-Brian
Scottl0413
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2009, 08:50:31 AM »

Craig, the Ramrod in this size would be a little too much for a newbie to handle. If you're looking to get into pwr. and the nostalgia class the 1/2A is where to begin. Brian is correct stating the T-Bird is a good newbie design. Other good newbie designs are the 1/2A Ramrod and the 1/2A Spacer. The bigger engines can do some seriously damage if your not used to handling these engines.

Scott
applehoney
Titanium Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2009, 10:15:01 AM »

For a first effort in gas, if you're content to learn and not necessarily go for the last ounce of performance - almost any power design that is slightly underpowered from its original intent will prove to be a stable, forgiving model that will teach you a lot about trimming and handling. The next one you can fully power, armed with experience from the first.
danberry
Gold Member

Kudos: 17

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2009, 05:38:39 PM »

Scott, it looks good. I wouldn't worry about the power.

Craig, for a first power model, you couldn't go wrong with a 1/2A maverick. Kit is available. Engines choices, including electric are available. It ain't Nostalgia but it will build and fly. Guaranteed.
FF Bruce
Gold Member

Kudos: 13

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2009, 06:39:06 PM »

Scott very nice, how are you doing weight wise?29oz. is a lot of weight for a 600. Most of the .29 models I've seen are in the 700 to 750 sq.in range. Good work keep us posted,
FF Bruce
Scottl0413
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2009, 09:24:11 AM »

Well, finished up the Ramrod 600 over the weekend, Pics. attached. Finished weight after adding weight to the tail to achieve required CG is 26 ozs. Will have to add 3 ozs. to be Nos. legal!!!!!! Wing covering is Polyspan with 2 coats Nitrate and 3 coats of Butyrate. WingtTip bottoms are Ora Cover for color. Don't know when I'll have a chance to fly it, the weather around hear is getting very wintery!!

Scott
applehoney
Titanium Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2009, 10:29:21 AM »

Will have to add 3 ozs. to be Nos. legal!!!!!!

Which is a requirement I detest... I scrapped one airplane when I found I'd have to add almost 7 ounces of lead to bring it up to 29 ozs.

The weight rule is okay up to .15s but starts getting out of hand for larger engine capacities.
gossie
Platinum Member

Kudos: 49

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2009, 04:27:21 PM »

Nice Scott. Smiley
Randy Reynolds
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2010, 09:56:14 AM »

Scott, Did you get a chance to fly your Ramrod 600 yet?
Scottl0413
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2010, 10:08:40 AM »

Randy, have not yet flown the plane. Did fire up the engine for the first time in 40 years and was pleasantly surprised that it kick in on the second lick Shocked Grin Winds in the afternoon have been above 10 mph and with a small flying field (70 acres) I have to be very careful! I've already had to have a plane retrieved from the top of a tree when I forgot to light the [email protected]#$%^& I'll let you know when I get the chance to fly it.

Scott
craig h
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2010, 02:50:57 PM »

Scott... are you using pressure feed to the engine? If not... did you make your own hard tank?
Keep us posted on your maiden flights.... its a nice looking plane.

Craig h
Scottl0413
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2010, 04:28:36 PM »

Craig, I'm using bladder pressure and 35% pop. Using an O.S. R5 glow plug (hot).

Scott
Scottl0413
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2010, 09:26:36 AM »

Well, guys got a chance to test fly the Ramrod last night. It took three test flights to get it trimmed out and than it was on!!!!! As far as trimming I just had to tweak the rudder three times and that was it. Great climb to the right and a flat transition into right hand glide. 55 year old Johnson .29 engine had more than enough pwr. to take it to the clouds, of course there weren't any! I only flew with 5-6 second engine runs due to field size so with a full 9 second nostalgia legal engine run it should be even better. Glide was very good, might add a 1/64th shim to see if it could get even better. All in all it appears to be a great flyer.

Scott
Pit
Palladium Member

Kudos: 129

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2010, 01:49:25 PM »

Sounds just like a Ramrod Grin!

A Dedicated Convert to:
WWWoFF (Wonderfull Wacky World of Free Flight)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
Scottl0413
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2010, 08:54:50 AM »

Went to Muncie IN, last weekend for the Detroit Balsa Bugs meet and flew a no. of events, of course the Nostalgia combined A, B, C, & D. The Ramrod 600 Flew great! In the allowed 9 sec. engine run it was at the clouds, the Johnson 29 ran perfectly. It did take me a couple of flights to do the finish trimming on a big field but my last official flight was timed at 4:24 to the ground, fortunately this was on Sunday when the winds where 4-5 mph all day. Can't wait to get back into a big field and fly this beauty again.

Scott
Scottl0413
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2010, 04:45:00 PM »

Just to bring everyone up to date on the flights of this R-rod 600. Went to the U.S. Nats. in August and flew a no. of events one of which was B Nos. The R-rod held it's head up high with two initial maxes and than on the third attempt the fuel pressure bladder decided to let go 4-5 seconds into the flight. Needless to say I fell just short of the third max. All in all I couldn't be more pleased with the performance of the Ramrod 600 and it aging Johnson 29 engine.

Scott
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: