Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
October 20, 2020, 10:32:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Sweepette 36D -Build-  (Read 21514 times)
Bob_Morris
Silver Member

Kudos: 8

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: February 02, 2010, 10:32:38 PM »

BG - nice looking glider. Looking at your photos makes me want one.
Tmat
Titanium Member

Kudos: 69

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: February 02, 2010, 11:46:15 PM »

Have you seen Stan's solution for keeping viscous timers moving as the spring force lessens close to release?

See below for a close up of what Leeper is talking about. It's just a piece of small aluminum tubing crimped onto the wire drive pin as Leeper described.

The other way to improve the cold weather timer performance is to increase the spring tension. There are several ways to do this. You could use a stronger spring (bigger wire diameter), or just stretch the spring further to increase the initial tension. Personally, I'd avoid Silly putty for cold weather. The smoothie style timer has much less temperature variation than the Silly putty type, but that's a bit late now eh? Grin

I've attached Jim Buxton's superb illustration for Stan's style of DT system just in case Bernard might need a reminder of the arrangement. Sharp eyes might note that it even includes the little bit of aluminum tube as described above Shocked.

Tony
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Sweepette 36D -Build-

F1B guy...
But don't hold that against me!
sweepettelee
Platinum Member

Kudos: 20

Simplicate & add more lightness. Keep sanding!

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: February 03, 2010, 12:30:39 AM »

or just stretch the spring further to increase the initial tension.

But remember to stretch it from the REAR, by shortening the line, as I mentioned. Stretching from the front... well, that would give LESS tension, & you would probably need a new spring soon after. Roll Eyes Shocked

And I must say I have used Button & Badge viscous timers for the same temperature consistency reasons Tony mentioned.

Bernie: a Badge will fit easily in your fuselage I wager. I have a spare, so if you are interested send PM.

Leeper

Leeper
BG
Platinum Member

Kudos: 84

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter
Me with F1B - epic retrieval (flew 10km after DT)

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: February 03, 2010, 05:49:57 AM »

Mornin guys... a badge would fit fine as you say and I may change over to it if my doodad is sticky Grin Just thought I would give her a try first eh? Lee if you can spare the badge then please send her along.... and thanks much.

I am hoping to get a chance to maiden this weekend ...wifewilling Roll Eyes

B

F1B guy but its not my fault, Tony made me do it.
BG
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: February 03, 2010, 08:05:17 AM »

Bah!! Angry... rigged the DT this morning and of course the dang timer does not work worth a damn. Seems that the pull binds the timer tube against the wood, stopping it from rotating freely. I guess this was predictable Roll Eyes. Options: fart around some more by shortening the timer arm etc. to reduce leverage and therefore binding or just reject the idea and go to a badge.

Will ponder this today and make the changes soon.

B

Tmat
Titanium Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #105 on: February 03, 2010, 11:01:02 AM »

Oops! Grin
Ah well, I'm sure you will think of a solution Bernard.

Have you seen the Steven's Aero putty timer instructions?
http://www.stevensaero.com/StevensAero-18in.-Free-Flight-Hand-Launch-Glider-HLG01-SA-HLG01-p-18965.html
Look for the download (it is a .pdf file) at the bottom of the page.

They show how they handle a putty based side mounted timer in great detail. Might give you some ideas?

The badge or smoothie is of course a better bet imo, but you may want to salvage what you have.

Tony

F1B guy...
BG
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: February 06, 2010, 01:09:29 PM »

Grin DT problem solved... just needed more leverage. See photos.

For the skeptics a vid of DT function can be seen here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Qi4O63HWRw

Flight testing next.... all I need now is time... but alas I don't have any :'( :'(

She is ready to throw now at 77 grams with 50% CG.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):

Olbill
Titanium Member

Kudos: 70

Ignore
« Reply #107 on: February 06, 2010, 02:16:35 PM »

Personally I think you ought to just donate that glider to the AMA museum and then build another one to fly.
Tmat
Titanium Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: February 07, 2010, 09:16:14 AM »

Personally I think you ought to just donate that glider to the AMA museum and then build another one to fly.

Ahem, that would be the MAAC museum Bill. Shocked Grin Wink

Well done Bernard!

Tony

F1B guy...
Olbill
Titanium Member

Kudos: 70

Ignore
« Reply #109 on: February 07, 2010, 09:47:07 AM »

Well it could be one of those cross-cultural things.
BG
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #110 on: February 07, 2010, 12:28:43 PM »

Hi Guys, Is there a MAAC museum?? Grin

Don't worry She will be well worn soon enough. See these videos for my first test glides on a bitterly cold afternoon (yesterday):

http://www.youtube.com/user/BernardGuest#p/a/u/1/Os-c1sBKUjM

It was breezy but I can't figure what to do with her.... seems to drop the inside wing. I am thinking of reducing the tip weight.

B

Tmat
Titanium Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #111 on: February 07, 2010, 04:08:24 PM »

Almost seems like she doesn't have enough declage. And you might also need to reduce the left rudder and/or add some more washin to the left wing.

And yes, there is a MAAC museum. I had been asked to donate my 2nd place F1B from 1991 World Champs to the Museum. I was still flying it though and wouldn't you know at a contest in Ontario (Eastern Canadian Open) I won an evening summer fly-off and everyone went out with me to retrieve the model and we couldn't find it! It didn't go that far really, and we had a great line on it, and a good signal from the tracker. But after the flyoff we went out and there was nothing there. No model and no signal. I think that it must have landed near a road and someone took it home with them. Never saw it again. Sometimes I think that I should have given it to the museum for safe keeping. Then again...

Tony

F1B guy...
BG
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #112 on: February 07, 2010, 05:02:05 PM »

Hi all,

Tony, thanks for confirming my suspicions I was also pondering more declage. Maybe also moving the CG back a bit? First the declage though.
B

Hepcat
OOS, January 2019
Platinum Member

Kudos: 279

Ignore
« Reply #113 on: February 07, 2010, 05:06:08 PM »

Tony

Very sorry to read of the end of the F1B. I am not going to spout any mawkish rubbish about it being happier wandering free than hanging in a museum – the museum is where it deserves to be, I remember how interested I was at the time reading about these three Canadians who had put in the work to produce a 'Wakefield' that was different, and probably better, than anything else that was around. All the information about the design was carefully documented right down to the dimensions and weights of every component. It is interesting that Tony's F1B stays in the mind whereas most of the World Championship winners since then seem to be 'same old, same old'; and when drawings of them are published they are little more than shopping lists for bought out components.  Still I suppose that is the good thing that comes out of this – even without the model the memory lingers on.

To get back on thread. About the 'Sweepette' Tony said:'it looks a bit short of decalage'. Before reading that I thought, she looks to be flying too fast. Same thing really. BTW Bernard a very pretty (and careful) build.

John

John Barker UK - Will be missed by all that knew him.
Tmat
Titanium Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #114 on: February 07, 2010, 05:52:00 PM »

Thanks for the kind words John. A whole other thread could be taken up with the current state of FAI and what has been lost and gained from the availability of World Class ready to fly models....

Bernard, moving the CG back would slow down the glide, but not help with the tendency to dive in shown in the video. That's going to require the declage increase (which will also slow down the glide). The final declage will of course be determined by the requirements of the launch and transition. Then the CG can be fine tuned to create an optimum glide as usual.

Tony

F1B guy...
BG
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #115 on: February 16, 2010, 08:27:54 PM »

Hi All,

Got some more trimming done.... see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDT7FG74Aig for a trimming flight. She looks good on glide eh? The second video is of a tip launch. On this one she went up into a huge loop came out and then floated for 50 sec before hitting a tree 30 ft up. would easily have managed 60 sec in my opinion. If I can get the launch tuned I will be getting excellent times out of this floater.

Early cold morning by the way.

B

Tmat
Titanium Member

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #116 on: February 16, 2010, 10:51:39 PM »

That looks much better! So what did you change from the first test flights?

Tony

F1B guy...
sweepettelee
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #117 on: February 17, 2010, 12:24:28 AM »

Hmmm, I only see one video listed on your last post. Where do I find second one?

Leeper

Leeper
BG
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #118 on: February 17, 2010, 02:10:11 AM »

Hi Guys,
Tony, one full turn of the incidence screw Grin.

The other vid is under my vids... not much to see... only the launch and then lots of bouncing around. She needs less declage now to cure the loop then shift CG to get the float back.
B

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WSwszTo8us

Pit
Palladium Member

Kudos: 132

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #119 on: February 18, 2010, 09:46:28 AM »

Nice flight Bernard! Good to see (and hear Grin) that you're getting some good exercise. Will you make it to OPENSCALE this year?

A Dedicated Convert to:
WWWoFF (Wonderfull Wacky World of Free Flight)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
BG
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #120 on: February 18, 2010, 01:42:55 PM »

Hi Pete,

Nope no openscale for me.... too busy and too expensive.

one day maybe Undecided

jswain
Silver Member

Kudos: 5

Ignore
« Reply #121 on: August 20, 2010, 07:42:45 PM »

Bernie,
After determining which side is heavier [usually grip side] I use clay at first to trim circle size. Then after weighing the clay I add lead to equal in this manner: Using lead sheet [I have some 1/32nd], punch out some pieces with a paperpunch...... Leeper

Hi Lee,

Thanks for posting the tip weight hint. I was rereading these threads to see what the consensus was on TLG CG vs. decalage for my newly finished Maxima30 kit build. After only using decalage and trim tabs on my Cats, it had not even entered my mind to use the tip weight on the inboard glide/non-throwing wing to open and close the glide circle for any reason other than to equalize the wing weight.

Newly finished Maxima30 hand glides completed safely today, First tosses early tomorrow AM with a 50% CG and 7/32" decalage- we'll see Shocked

Burning up in Riverside,CA -john s.
BG
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #122 on: October 24, 2010, 08:14:20 PM »

Hi All,
Finally got a chance to upload some launch vids. go here...: http://www.youtube.com/user/BernardGuest#p/u/0/uuuPTgcL544

there are several sorry for them being sideways....

Obviously need to work on my launch technique.

B

sweepettelee
Platinum Member

Ignore
« Reply #123 on: October 24, 2010, 10:02:10 PM »

Bernie,
From what I could see, your arm should be farther behind you prior to starting your steps and spin. The main thing seems to be your elbow is bent just prior to launch. Both of those things are contributors to hooking the launches, as I felt your videos show.

I have been guilty of the same malady, & Ralph Ray brought me a cure all one day. A postal triangular mailing tube to slip over my arm so it could not bend! So keep practicing and you will soon be much better & having great TLG flying fun!

Leeper

Leeper
BG
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #124 on: October 27, 2010, 12:50:50 AM »

Thanks Leeper... do these look better?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlXC4cLDPEY

Sorry for the crap light but it was overcast and below zero (that is why my throwing hand was in my pocket on the first one)

B

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11   Go Up
Print
Jump to: