Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
January 26, 2020, 04:31:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: New design for Cox TD09's  (Read 1075 times)
Scottl0413
Gold Member

Kudos: 10

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: January 11, 2010, 03:51:25 PM »

Well I've read all about the little known Cox TD 09 and numerous articles and papers have said that it has the best pwr. to weight ratio, I've played with a larger 1/2A (Geo. Galaxie) it's a little to much for this size plane (300 Sq. In. wing). I've built a 404 sq. in. Maverick with an O.S. 10 ESR on it and it is a great little flyer but doesn't have quite the zip I'm looking for. So with the above results I decided to design and build a plane just for the Cox TD 09. The pics below are my results to date. As you can see it's in it's bare bones condition, but I thought I'd share it with everyone now so you all can see the structure. It is based on an Orbiteer of the 70's with some mode's to the wing and a newly designed fus. The wing is 50 in. lg., 362 sq. in., with a 7.250 cord, Airfoil is thinner than my standby Geo Galaxy wing, wing dihedral is a 5 panel similar to the Pilferred Pearls, with the same stab as designed on the Class 1 Orbiteer. Weight before covering is right at 9 ozs., hopefully it'll finish out at 10-10.5 ozs. I'll keep all informed on the completion as it goes along.

Scott
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
New design for Cox TD09's
glidermaster
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 02:39:49 PM »

Nice work, Scott, as always. That sounds like a very nice size of aeroplane.

'Back in the day' I remember a number of people in the UK putting the TD09 in standard 1/2A size ships - i.e. about 240 sq.in. wings.

They were fairly exciting, as I recall.

Good luck with it!
John

Gliders are a part of me.
JohnOSullivan
Silver Member

Kudos: 4

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 07:29:34 AM »

I used to fly TD .09 power models extensively.

Here is my Executioner Plan 280 sq. in - 9 ounces.

Full size plans:
http://www.windandwavemodels.com/EXECUTIONER.pdf

John

John O'Sullivan
MAAC 5401
MACI 26
Scottl0413
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2010, 12:04:59 PM »

Well, finished up the new design for the TD 09 over the weekend, Pics. attached. Little disappointed in the finished weight, 340 grs. (12 ozs.). CG came in at 85%, will start flight trimming at this location and see what happens.

Scott
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: New design for Cox TD09's
Re: New design for Cox TD09's
danberry
Gold Member

Kudos: 17

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 12:01:49 AM »

12 oz won't be horrible. Long ago, I had an Aerbo old timer w/ TD 09 that weighed 12oz. It was pretty ridiculous even with ROG.

You could dump half of the straight ribs and run the diagonals at the steeper angle and save a bunch of weight. Of course that would require building a new wing!
Scottl0413
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 10:05:04 AM »

Well finally had on opportunity to get some trimming done on this new design. I was pleasantly surprised how well the TD 09 flew this 12 oz. plane!! Pwr. pattern was a gentle right hand turn with initial transition not so good. Added a little more right hand pwr. pattern to it and transition was great!! Grin Glide is excellent!!! Grin Smiley Need to add a little more right hand turn under glide and will be ready for competition.

Scott
JetPlaneFlyer
Gold Member

Kudos: 37

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2010, 11:06:30 AM »

Nice!

Where did the extra weight come from?.. Did she perhaps need a lot of ballast in the nose?

I wish i had a flying site big enough to consider flying such models Sad

Steve
Scottl0413
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2010, 11:42:24 AM »

Steve, Weight is in two places, 1) Wing construction and covering! As you can see I went a little overboard with the ribs and geo. ribs. Next one will probably be full geo. design, covering is polyspan with 4-5 coats of 50/50 dope, again next one will probably be Esaki tissue. 2) Stab covered is Polyspan light but with 5-6 coats 50/50 dope, probably tissue with dope would be lighter. It still pwrs. straight up very well!

Scott
Scottl0413
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2010, 09:39:56 AM »

I can't believe that it's been 2 months since I've flown this airplane!!!!! Took it out last night in 95 degree temps and worked a little bit on the climb and glide. At about 7:30 last night with a 5 second motor run achieved a 2 minute max with about 20 feet of air to spare. The glide is breathtaking Shocked Smiley

Scott
Sandgroper
Silver Member

Kudos: 8

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2011, 04:26:23 AM »

Steve, Weight is in two places, 1) Wing construction and covering! As you can see I went a little overboard with the ribs and geo. ribs. Next one will probably be full geo. design, covering is polyspan with 4-5 coats of 50/50 dope, again next one will probably be Esaki tissue. 2) Stab covered is Polyspan light but with 5-6 coats 50/50 dope, probably tissue with dope would be lighter. It still pwrs. straight up very well!

Scott
Try Litespan/Coverlite Scott,I use Balsaloc to put it on,no dope needed bright colours, likes diagonal rib wings
Polyspan is tough stuff and worth the weight on bigger models,my Dixielander flew into a star picket and cracked the leading edge,I pulled it straight cynoed it up and flew soon after,no damage to covering to repair.

Phil
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: