Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 23, 2019, 11:58:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Wittman Tailwind  (Read 4226 times)
Graiskye
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: January 15, 2010, 12:23:53 PM »

Well just a couple pictures of my almost complete Wittman. Just a few details to add, color the scoop thingy on cowl.

Overall weight with a loop of 1/8" or 3/32" is just a hair under the ten gram mark, so all in I am quite pleased with my results. I have struggled to get my weights down, I am getting better.

At ten grams I am still left with a robust outdoor Peanut, so I am sure I can go lighter yet in my wood selection etc...

Prop was carved from a prop block that originated from Mike Isermann, looks like shrunk down Henn block to me(not shown)?

Here's a few pics of her as she sits. And as a note, the prop pictured is not the prop it has on it now, she was far too nose heavy with that prop, so I did the only logical thing and carved a nice light one, saved a hair under 2 grams.

I weigh on some type it is quite accurate but doesn't give 'exact' readings, like a digital would, thus I appx.

Last photo is a picture of the unique tip on the Wittman.

I built from the plan that I got out of the NFFS mags.

-Grais
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Wittman Tailwind
Wittman Tailwind
Wittman Tailwind
Wittman Tailwind

"When I think of something monumentally witty, Ill let you know, till then you'll have to amuse yourselves."
DaddyO
Platinum Member

Kudos: 61

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 04:31:04 PM »

Nice one Grais Smiley

Look forward to hearing the flight report. I was looking at the 'retract' version plan again today... Roll Eyes

Paul

There cannot be a crisis today, my schedule is already full
BG
Platinum Member

Kudos: 83

Canada Canada

Me with F1B - epic retrieval (flew 10km after DT)

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 05:53:15 PM »

So Grais.... is that a scale color scheme?? Will she compete in FAC pnut in the spring Grin Cool

B

F1B guy but its not my fault, Tony made me do it.
Graiskye
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 12:58:28 AM »

NO scale color scheme Bernard. Tho I did find one to model (a tailwind). It is a white one at that !

I think I would like to do another model for FAC PNut, maybe still a Tailwind, but from a better plan.

I think the stabilizer is a little on the shy side on this model, I'm quite sure it was left scale, so we'll see how she responds to flight.

Glides very nicely onto the bed Wink.

-G

"When I think of something monumentally witty, Ill let you know, till then you'll have to amuse yourselves."
Pit
Palladium Member

Kudos: 129

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010, 10:53:14 AM »

Is that the Siegfried Glockner P'nut plan? If not, I have it.

Pete

A Dedicated Convert to:
WWWoFF (Wonderfull Wacky World of Free Flight)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
Graiskye
Gold Member

Canada Canada

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2010, 01:15:05 PM »

Not Glockner Pit, there's no name on the plan ?

It was a centerfold out of the NFFS magazine. Not sure who drew it but I think it was out of a book, as it refers to notes on another page of the 'book'

I do have the Glockner plan, much nicer, with a much bigger stablizer, which leads me to wonder about this one. Not a big worry as I can remake a stab in about 20 minutes.

-G.

lemuel
Platinum Member

Kudos: 59

Australia Australia

A peanut a day keeps the doctor at bay..

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2010, 07:08:21 PM »

Hey Grai, I like the tissue, does it make it hard to find in the grass?? In regards to the tailwind, I have a Shonai Peanut newsletter that shows about 20 Whitman Tailwinds all made in either white/green or white/red color schemes. I thought it was a great idea to get club spirit going with a club CU.

The prop you have on this model in the pictures you posted are very heavy props. I know you changed it to a Balsa Prop but I have those plastic ones in a larger size and they are awful things. Can you take a video of it fly? Would like to see it go.

regards
Matthew

two wings = GOOD, no wings = BAD Sad
Dave Andreski
Titanium Member

Kudos: 82

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010, 07:32:33 PM »

Hi Graiskye,

What issue was this plan in? I just may have it. I'd like to have a look.

Thanks,

Dave Andeski

Aspire to inspire before you expire.
bob the builder

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2010, 05:17:47 PM »

Does somebody have a digital copy of the Siegfried Glockner Tailwind or know where I could acquire it?

thanks!
Bob
algy
Silver Member

Kudos: 7

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2010, 09:22:15 PM »

Hi Bob,
I have the Sigfried Glockner Tailwind plan and building article from Model builder as a PDF file. It is the best Whittman peanut plan I have seen. Also have full scale documentation of the same plane on PDF.

I put that up on a post some time ago and quite a few guys got copies. Send me your e-mail address and i will zip it all over to you if you wan it..

Cheers
Algy
Pit
Palladium Member

Kudos: 129

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2010, 01:08:20 AM »

Hey Algy,
I put my copy of FM with the Glockner plan back in the pile, forgetting to note the issue. It's one that I'd like to build in the near future as a double p'nut. Do you know which issue it was (also interested in the scale data you have - you still have my addy?)?

A Dedicated Convert to:
WWWoFF (Wonderfull Wacky World of Free Flight)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
Balsabug
Gold Member

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2010, 10:58:00 AM »

Here's the latest off my bench. A.C. Occhipinti's Tailwind with retracts. Came in at 10 grams even and based on my test glides she should be a good one.

Balsabug
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: Wittman Tailwind
Re: Wittman Tailwind
FLYACE1946
Platinum Member

Kudos: 26

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2010, 07:10:38 PM »

Very Nicely Done Tailwind, Balsabug. When will we see pictures of it flying ?
Allen
crashcaley
Palladium Member

Kudos: 239

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2010, 11:45:37 PM »

Grais and Bug, Love those Tailwinds. They sure are a cute design.

Caley

What's stall speed?  Undecided
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: