Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
September 28, 2021, 10:12:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Mig 17 'Fresco' for 30mm EDF  (Read 2790 times)
JetPlaneFlyer
Gold Member

Kudos: 37

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: February 11, 2010, 05:21:31 PM »

You may have already seen this over on SFA but for those who haven't and who are interested here's my latest project. It's my own design 17" span Mig-17 'Fresco' powered by a 30mm Electric Ducted Fan (EDF) for freeflight. Motor is brushless and battery is a 2 cell lipo.

Thust is 45 - 75g depending on which fan i use. Estimated all up flying weight is 85g or so... it's 77g as photographed, complete except for covering and detailing. Much credit goes to Marty Richey who's been pioneering these micro EDF units for years. Marty shipped me his own EDF Mig 15 last year which was the inspiration behind this model.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Mig 17 'Fresco' for 30mm EDF
BG
Platinum Member

Kudos: 87

Canada Canada

Me with F1B - epic retrieval (flew 10km after DT)

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 07:25:26 PM »

Steve she looks fantastic.

Any idea when the kit will be available? I will want to make a purchase.

Bernard

CEO,Chief designer, production line manager, factory worker, shipping and customer service manager, and janitor at Hummingbird Model Products.
JetPlaneFlyer
Gold Member

Kudos: 37

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 03:20:48 AM »

Hi Bernard,

To get the kit done first i need to update the CAD drawing to incorporate a few changes i picked up during the build, mainly to simplify the assembly of the fuselage. I also need to do some build instructions. I've got next week off work so in between the list of domestic tasks i have lined up for me i hope to get the Mig flight tested and the plan and instructions completed.

Then it's over to Carole and Danny to get the kit put together. There has been quite a lot of interest so you may be best contacting Shorty's and getting your name down for one of the first kits.

Steve
Sky9pilot
Titanium Member

Kudos: 51

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2013, 01:59:59 PM »

With the transition of Shorty's Basement to George, any further work on the Mig 17?  Are the plans posted anywhere if not?

Tom

Best Regards,
Sky9pilot
    "If God is your Co-pilot, consider switching seats!" 
http://www.stickandtissue.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl
http://freeflightarchive.com/index.php/homepage-2
nomad68
Nickel Member

Kudos: 0

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2013, 02:09:44 PM »

Are you using elevons for control ?
fred
Gold Member

Kudos: 7

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2013, 10:26:19 PM »

Seductive isn't it?
Over on RC groups a fellow has been showcasing a small series of Sanded Foam full fuselage & wing Jets of for 30mm and 50mm  edf thrusters.
 What was interesting/unique is that he uses the elevators as elevons. Only.. No discrete elevators, No rudder, No ailerons at all.
 Simply the 2 moveable surfaces each with their own servo and TX set to mix as if the elevators were  elevons.
Several videos illustrate that the models Fly V well and are Airshow agile. It works.. beyond reproach.
Surprising to me as well, but one picture / 1000 words...  applies.
fred
Gold Member

Kudos: 7

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2013, 10:18:05 PM »

As I've finally managed to extract  ~300 gm thrust @ 300 watts / 3s  out of my 40 mm EDF gadget.
 I've decided that this lovely Mig 17 ..OR... the  Don Srull Mig 15 would be a good airframe.
Albeit with 4 channel RC.. not even remotely brave enough to toss that power level into the breeze, trusting to serendipity.
 The 15 is shorter and arguably more attractive in it's stubby way, and it does seem as the simpler design.  
 The 17 was the updated design though.
The 17 plan needs scaling up to 22" span, whilst the 15 plan needs scaling down to 22' span.
 Either will need reverting to oem anhedral though
 Tough to decide  
Duncan McBride
Silver Member

Kudos: 15

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2021, 04:27:38 PM »

I want to renew this thread because I just started the MIG17 design and I am really impressed with the plans.  I'm curious why the build wasn't completed, but I see that JetPlanePilot hasn't posted in quite a while.  Has anyone else tried this model?  The parts layout was great, reminiscent of the Model Builder WWII plans book with the parts printed to be placed on 3" sheet.  I've just started pinning some down after a night of slicing.  We'll see how it goes.
Re: Mig 17 'Fresco' for 30mm EDF
Indoorflyer
Platinum Member

Kudos: 29

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2021, 03:38:11 AM »

Source for plans? I see a bunch of MiG jet plans on HPA and OZ, but not the one by Steve Bage...
Duncan McBride
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2021, 08:24:55 AM »

it's here on HPA plans.  Search for Fresco.  I don't know why nothing else works.
Indoorflyer
Platinum Member

Kudos: 29

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2021, 08:53:43 AM »

Thanks Duncan, my mistake. I forgot that the "uploader" is listed, not the designer. I looked right at the plan, then passed on...
kaintuck
Gold Member

Kudos: 8

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2021, 11:20:42 AM »

I want to renew this thread because I just started the MIG17 design and I am really impressed with the plans.  I'm curious why the build wasn't completed, but I see that JetPlanePilot hasn't posted in quite a while.  Has anyone else tried this model?  The parts layout was great, reminiscent of the Model Builder WWII plans book with the parts printed to be placed on 3" sheet.  I've just started pinning some down after a night of slicing.  We'll see how it goes.

I'm interested!
Marc
Crabby
Titanium Member

Kudos: 141

I never met a modeler I didn't like

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2021, 11:33:57 AM »

Duncan I am a big Mig fan as you have probably noticed at the compound....when I show up! I fly that Mig-15(Don Srull design more than any other model, because you never know what its gonna do. I do have the nasty dawn dart tendency tamed, but depending on the rubber I have at the time it either flys reasonably well, or it climbs waaaay up there and zooms around, no matter what it does its an exciting model to fly. I will be watching this post in anticipation of the fly day at the compound!

The Threadkiller!
Duncan McBride
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2021, 04:13:51 PM »

Hey Crabby,
I remember your Mig, it's one reason I was attracted to this one.  I wasn't planning a build log, but I can share some pictures as I go along.  It has been fun just building to the plan.  Lots of little pieces but each with a purpose, so you can use very light wood and still have a sound structure.  It does require a little study to make sure you don't get ahead of yourself.  I'm pretty sure I will be able to get the duct work and electronics all sorted when I separate the fuselage halves.  The fuselage went together very easily and the tail surfaces, while a little intricate, look to be pretty sturdy.  A lot of thought went into the detail design to facilitate assembly.  I keep discovering nice things.

The fuselage is awaiting infill.  To avoid that I'm working on forming a canopy.  It's coming along.
Crabby
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2021, 06:23:39 PM »

Hi Duncan. this Mig is gonna be very sensitive to slight adjustments to that high stab. When I used too much up, the thing would scream up in the ozone then do the funniest spin all the way back to the farm. Just backed off a tiny bit and what a thrill. Mine took a long time to trim and it was soo sensitive to thrust adjustments, I spoke to Don Srull who said his was a fine flyer when it wasn't impersonating a lawn dart. You may at this stage engineer some stab adjustment strategy.

The Threadkiller!
Duncan McBride
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2021, 11:11:23 PM »

Hey. No clue as to CG placement either.  At least I've found a pretty cool color scheme.  Have Ferry test machine, Area 51.
Crabby
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2021, 11:27:30 PM »

Landing gear are a pretty good ballpark.

The Threadkiller!
Konrad
Titanium Member

Kudos: 39

Measure twice cut once

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2021, 01:57:31 PM »

Hey. No clue as to CG placement either.  At least I've found a pretty cool color scheme.  Have Ferry test machine, Area 51.
CG just behind "F6"?

Cut it twice and it's still too short!
Duncan McBride
Silver Member

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2021, 10:44:06 PM »

Yes, of course.  Like I said, the more I look at the plans, the more I see.  Thank you.
flydean1
Platinum Member

Kudos: 30

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2021, 04:18:30 PM »

RE: Colors; USN used MiG-17 at Top Gun school.  Virtually every pilot lost the first fight, and some even more, to the MiG.

They tried to turn with them and found the MiG on their tails in 1-1/2 turns!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: