Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
October 28, 2020, 05:25:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Mustang 460 Gasser!  (Read 587 times)
Scottl0413
Gold Member

Kudos: 10

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: March 16, 2010, 11:08:30 AM »

Good morning pwr. flyers. attached are pics of my latest pwr. ship. It's a Mustang by Top Notch Products that was originally designed for the 'B' electric class but I thought it would make for a great pwr. airplane. Pwr. at the moment is an ST G20/15, with a new MVVS 15 in the process of being broke it's final pwr. source. Wing area is 463 sq. inches, covering is a combination of Polyspan and Polycover. Total weight without bladder and fuel is 464 grams (16.35 ozs.). Initial test glides look very good! Hopefully sometime in the near future the winds will die down and I can go test fly it.

Scott
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Mustang 460 Gasser!
Mustang 460 Gasser!
Mustang 460 Gasser!
HatzLymanC
Silver Member

Kudos: 7

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 01:03:25 PM »

Nice!!

Lyman
glidermaster
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 04:02:45 PM »

Very nice, Scott.

Other than the 5-break wing, it reminds me of Dave Posner's Dreamweaver (the later version, not the published one).

A very Classic shape!

John

Gliders are a part of me.
Scottl0413
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 09:15:34 AM »

Well, got a chance to start the trimming process last night and it went pretty well for the first time. First flight had a tight right hand pwr. pattern, had DT set for 5 seconds after pwr., didn't see any glide turn! Adjusted rudder trim tab for second flight and was better but still too much. Adjusted rudder trim tab again and still had tighter right hand turn pwr. pattern, decided to end trimming session than. Will make adjustment to add left hand engine thrust to lesson right hand pwr. pattern. Glide was very good except for no turn, will add shim to tilt stab for rt. hd. glide. Will keep everyone up to date of future trimming sessions.

Scott
applehoney
Titanium Member

Kudos: 279

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 10:19:21 AM »

not the published one

the 1956 or 1960 ?
Scottl0413
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 10:54:35 AM »

No, this a new design. It is based on the 404 Maverick that I've been flying in the electric classes. Jim Jennings and I added the elliptical wing tips and went to a 6 panel wing.

Scptt
Randy Reynolds
Gold Member

Kudos: 4

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2010, 11:21:55 AM »

Hi Scott, The Mustang is a beauty with the new tips so good job! Is this a Top Notch kit yet?? I did see anything on their website.

Randy
Scottl0413
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2010, 10:22:08 AM »

Randy, sorry I haven't gotten back to you sooner but I was on vacation last week! The Mustang is still under development. You can order a kit from Top Notch Products but it doesn't have the six panel wing as shown on my design. There is a second version available with a D-box construction and a six panel wing but it hasn't been tested out as of yet. I did get a chance to take it out for it's initial flights and looked very good! Glide is wonderful! Pwr. pattern had to tight of a right had turn, tried to adjust with rudder trim tab but still to much. Will add left engine thrust and try again. I think it's going to be a winner! I'll let everyone know how the trimming turns out.

Scott
Scottl0413
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2010, 09:58:59 AM »

Sorry, I haven't kept everyone up to date on the development of this plane so here goes. Been doing most of the trimming using an ST 19. Had good results with great pwr. pattern, i.e. right hand turn, transition very good. It seemed it needed a little more PWR. ARG!!!!! mounted an ST 23 I recently purchased from Larry Davidson on it and went flying Saturday evening. Fired up the 23 and felt really good, 3-4 seconds into the pwr. pattern the right wing exploded into 3 pcs. Embarrassed :'( Shocked I guess I over stressed the wing! Grin Well guess I'll have to re-design this wing with either Geodetics or "D" box. Any suggestions to which is better?

Scott
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: