Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
May 26, 2019, 04:13:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Walt Mooney Boston Revere Speedster Build  (Read 1341 times)
scigs30
Gold Member

Kudos: 65

United States United States

Topic starter

Ignore
« on: March 20, 2010, 09:03:51 PM »

After seeing the last Bostonian I really wanted to build this classic. Besides wanting to build Guillows, Sterling, Comet and Peck kits, I also want to build some old planes from when I was younger. My uncle built this plane years before I started flying. Took a beating and needed a re-cover, so for my first Bostonian contest, he gave me this plane to cover. Now I get to build my own to how I remember it. I built the first side directly over the plans with Elmer's Glue All. Nothing fancy just straight pins to hold everything straight. When dried I began the second side, just slip the first under the wax paper and begin building the second directly on top of the first with the wax paper in between. The tail surfaces are laminated balsa, so I stripped lengths of 1/32 x 1/16 balsa. Then soaked in water/Ammonia mixture for over 1 hour. I used pins as a template,.....I know I am lazy.Shocked While the balsa was soaking, I started on the ribs. I striped 1/32 balsa a little larger than the rib shown on the plans. I then stack together and pin. Then sand the front and back perfectly square. Then apply some glue to the rear and front to hold the ribs together while I sand. I sand a nice rectangular box and glue a template of the rib on the stack. Since this is a Bostonian, you can just eye ball the rib shape. I then proceed to sand the stack to the perfect shape. Then lastly, I file a notch for the stringer. Once the strips were nice a pliable, I glued them together and began bending around the pin templates. I will allow this to dry overnight. Well I think that is it for 3 1/2 hours of building time today.
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Walt Mooney Boston Revere Speedster Build
scigs30
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 09:05:02 PM »

Some more
Re: Walt Mooney Boston Revere Speedster Build
Graiskye
Gold Member

Kudos: 19

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 01:00:36 AM »

Newbies pay attention to this build

Scigs is a master builder and he's doing a few things here that can be very helpful to a new builder.

While using pins to outline the shapes of the tips for lamination's will probably be frowned upon by some, it is a quick and dirty method that WORKS. It is quick, it is easy, and it works, that's all you need to worry about for now.

Building the second side over the first side, yes you can go ahead and not put the wax paper in between, but if your eyes are strong, it, the wax paper, shouldn't be an impediment and makes the separation of the sides a non issue. Some will build right over the first, using a single sided razor to later split the sides gently apart. I have used both methods, many times for each, I can honestly say, they both work great!

But, at first, I would, and I did use the wax paper between the fuselage sides, it eliminates one possibly troublesome step.

Lastly, but I'm sure not the last tip you'll learn from Scigs, guaranteed, is the making ribs using the stack of rectangles.  Super easy and simple to get a stack of ribs all identical in size. Just follow the process as outlined by Scigs himself.

So be sure to pay attention new comers, there's several great tutors here at HPA, and Scigs30 is one of em.

I'm sure the Bostonian will look great when you get through with her Scigs, have fun with her.

-G.

"When I think of something monumentally witty, Ill let you know, till then you'll have to amuse yourselves."
scigs30
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 12:17:50 PM »

Here are some more pictures of the tail surfaces and the fuselage taking shape. Nothing real fancy once again, just some straight pins and eyeballing to make sure everything is straight.
scigs30
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 01:36:36 PM »

I boxed up the fuselage using pins and good ole eye site to make sure everything is straight. Used hard 1/32 sheet balsa for the formers and flexible 1/32 sheet balsa for the cowling. I place tracing paper on top of the formers and do a rough trace for the pattern. Then I cut out the balsa cowling and soak it in water/ammonia. After 1 to 2 hours, I place the cowling on the formers and keep in place with tape. When dry the cowling stays in perfect shape. Now I can trim the cowling for a perfect fit and glue with Elmers Glue all.  You can see using pins for a template produced pretty good laminated tips. The landing gear wire is already formed and will be glued in today. Also I will sand everything and start on the nose block and wheel pants.
scigs30
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 01:37:20 PM »

Some more
scigs30
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2010, 10:09:25 PM »

All done with the frames, just needs a final sanding and I can begin covering. Will pre shrink Orange Esaki tissue on a picture frame to prevent warps. So far as shown she weighs 10 grams.
willy g

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2010, 01:11:05 AM »

Very nice build!!

I can't wait to see the flight report, but sure it will fly well, very nice construction sequence.

I love all the Mooney designs and the plans are begging you to build them. Is that plan available?

Can you post a copy please? Here is the links to a site with many of Mooney plans

http://web.mac.com/tectonite/iWeb/Site%205/Mooney.html

Thanks
Willy
thymekiller
Platinum Member

Kudos: 44

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2010, 01:37:36 AM »

I just love to watch this man work. Outstanding woodwork. Outstanding.

julio
Gold Member

Kudos: 17

Argentina Argentina

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2010, 09:27:08 PM »

I second Thymekiller words. One more "outstanding".

I think I will stay a novice forever.
crashcaley
Palladium Member

Kudos: 238

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2010, 10:40:36 PM »

I think the consensus is unanimous. Really wonderful work.

Caley

What's stall speed?  Undecided
scigs30
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2010, 08:26:47 PM »

Got my Esaki in the mail today, so I hope to have her finished shortly.
scigs30
Gold Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2010, 06:45:52 PM »

I finished my Bostonian today and not too bad for an orange bird. The last Boston Speedster I had flew away :'( I covered with pre shrunk orange Esaki tissue attached with 50/50 glue water. I then brushed on 2 coats of clear Dope. As shown the weight is 12.25 grams, a little too light for the West Coast Bostonian rules, but after rubber and some weight, I think she will be were she needs to be. I will post flight pictures when I make out to the field again. I posted the plans at this link:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1213978#post14816093
HatzLymanC
Silver Member

Kudos: 6