Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin  |  Contact Global Moderator
January 24, 2020, 09:20:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: CO2 Duration Anyone?  (Read 8658 times)
scrubs
Gold Member

Kudos: 8

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: November 05, 2010, 10:23:47 PM »

Blacksheep appears to have them in stock for $8 but the shipping would probably kill you. Both of the GM120's I have came with the 3cc tank.

bill
DaddyO
Platinum Member

Kudos: 61

United Kingdom United Kingdom

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: November 06, 2010, 05:12:16 AM »

Thanks Bill - I'll keep 'em in mind (and try not to think about the shipping charge) :'(

There cannot be a crisis today, my schedule is already full
scrubs
Gold Member

Kudos: 8

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: November 06, 2010, 10:42:34 AM »

A few years back I traded Bill Brown a copy of a Hannan book he had for a GAR P51 kit. I had the kit shipped from Penn Valley Hobby to Bill and the shipping was about half again what the kit cost me. Shocked

A few years back before I retired and CO2 was still available I bought a GM63, 2 GM120 FAI's, paintball tank and charging nozzle. Also picked up a couple of beaten up Telcos and parts. The intention was to have them for my retirement enjoyment. But where I've moved guys seem to have gotten away from CO2, they have the motors but don't fly em. Seems like it's either way too hot or cold here for best performance and everyone had problems with leakage. So it's all rubber or electric.

bill
DaddyO
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: December 02, 2010, 05:32:32 AM »

Happy birthday to me, happy birthday to me... etc.

A little prezzy - a Gasparin GM63 complete with 3cc tank. It runs very nicely and will probably find it's way into a little indoor scale model at some stage....

Grin Paul Grin
Attached files Thumbnail(s):
Re: CO2 Duration Anyone?

PeeTee
Titanium Member

Kudos: 48

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: December 02, 2010, 06:18:36 AM »

Happy birthday and all that. 21 again is it Grin

At least it helps you overcome the 3cc tank probs. Nevertheless, Chris Strachan flies a standard GM 63 motored model from time to time and says it goes well (also see the AMI article a few years ago).

As for your 120, I wouldn't bother with changing the locking ring. The last couple of GMW 73s I bought both came with the throttle type locking ring and are just as good as is.

Finally, having acquired a whoppa - a GM 300, I dug out a part built fus, and am in build mode. I'm using a recycled E30 Jedelsky wing as it's gorse proof, and the model will be quite porky, around the F1K spec 75g mark - never mind! Here's a piccie, but since taking it I've stuck on the fin and added a couple of side pods, one for the tomy and t'other for a bug.

How's your's going - the build that is?

TTFN

Peter
DaddyO
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: December 02, 2010, 07:23:28 AM »

Cheers Peter

Yep 21 and a few months (350 odd!) Wink

Seems to be taking a while to get this one off the workbench, but have covered the flying surfaces and am finishing up the fuz. I've gone for a longer span and shorter moment arm than previously and I'm ditching the pylon too (which'll save big grammes baby!) Cheesy

I was looking at the 300 the other day - it's a whopper Shocked How long does it run on 3cc... 10... 20 seconds!? Grin

Looks good so far though

(I was sitting next to CS at the annual nosh up and spent a bit of time picking his brain about CO2)

Cheers
Paul

FreeFlightModeller
Russ Lister
Titanium Member

Kudos: 68

Russ Lister

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: December 02, 2010, 08:29:45 AM »

Happy Birthday Paul!

Nice present Paul ... I like the GM63
I have only used it in a 'silent Ebeneezer' so far .. it's overdue a 'proper' home.

Look forward to comparing the resulting performance of your GM63 with Peter's 300 ... I suppose both have the same 'energy' available so it might be quite close?
Pit
Palladium Member

Kudos: 129

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: December 02, 2010, 10:43:29 AM »

Happy Birthday, Paul! A NICE present to boot! I'm still playing with the installation of a Modela in my Citabria. Since the trip to OPENSCALE didn't pan out, the project has been sorta sidelined. I hope to get back to finishing it up this month.

Nice to see at least some activity here. Seems every time I get interested in a particular activity, it's done up and gone Sad. Rapier is another one. I hope to get to OPENSCALE next year, partly to attempt to obtain one (or more) of Mr. G's gems.

Is there a paintball/soda stream adapter available at an affordable price that will fit Telco and Modela nozzles?

A Dedicated Convert to:
WWWoFF (Wonderfull Wacky World of Free Flight)

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
DaddyO
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: December 02, 2010, 11:08:44 AM »

Thanks Pete

The trouble with the current batch of adapters is that the thread on the cylinders will be changing after Xmas and they will all be redundant :'(

That said I can still buy the Sodastream bottles and I do know where there is at least one more Sodastream adapter... if you are interested? What size Gasparin are you after?

Hi Russ and thanks - I'm sticking with the GM120 for the duration stuff. I know the 63 runs nicely and is a bit lighter, but the smaller engines seem a bit more fussy when asked to haul up a dirty great (well 32" span) duration model... I reckon Peter will have the edge in the typically windy days that comps seem to be on these days with his monster Shocked

Off to bake a cake Cheesy
Paul

Pit
Palladium Member

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: December 03, 2010, 08:27:03 AM »

Paul,
The Gasparin that I'd like to get is the 120. It's the one recommended for the 24" Citabria that I've got nearly finished (I'm putting my Modela in it), and any other models that I may build for CO2 will be in that range. There may be a slightly smaller one (20") for the Telco that I have.

I haven't heard of any changes planned for the Soda Stream bottles here in Germany, but then customer notification here is next to non-existent Roll Eyes. I WOULD be interested in the adapter if the price is at least halfway reasonable. The hitch is that: 1- I fly very little in the class, 2- I'm retired with a below average income, 3- I'm cheap Grin, 4- Too many other hobbies Cheesy.

A Dedicated Convert to:

Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!
PeeTee
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: December 04, 2010, 03:55:09 AM »

I haven't heard of any changes planned for the Soda Stream bottles here in Germany,

Pete

That's because the change is to make us Brits "compatible with machines sold in the rest of Europe" Angry Thus the bottles you can get will be of the 'latest' configuration. Derek Knight used to make a Euro version compatible with the Alcojet bottle, but has sold out of everything. We are trying to get him to produce another batch, but I've not heard anything recently. Incidentally, the last time they were made, the price was £17.50, so if they are not much more expensive, they will be a good bit cheaper than the paintball canister adapters.

As for compatibility with motor filler nozzles, the adapter comes with three plastic inserts which (in my experience) fit just about all the motors made.

Peter
Pit
Palladium Member

Germany Germany

aka staubkorb

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: December 06, 2010, 01:42:33 AM »

H'mmm... maybe stage a rally at Derek's front door?

A Dedicated Convert to:

DaddyO
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: December 06, 2010, 11:25:21 AM »

Hi Folks

Here at last is the CO2Kan2 Smiley

AUW is 49gms. Shocked (Engine, prop and tank weigh in at 18.5gms). Wingspan is increased slightly from the last one to 31 1/2" although the chord has dropped from 106 to 102mm. I've reduced the moment arm by a couple of inches too.

Similar construction to the last one ie balsa with just a carbon cap on the main spar. Wing is tissue/mylar tail has mylar on bottom and tissue on the top (no mylar underneath on this one). I've ditched the pylon to see the effect. I'm hoping it won't be needed on such a low power set up. Undecided

Same DT as last time which is very effective....

Flight trials now awaited

Cheers
Paul

Tmat
Titanium Member

Kudos: 68

Canada Canada

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: December 06, 2010, 04:08:57 PM »

Very nice!
The wing looks like it would make a nice P-30 wing (well, shortened to 30" span of course! Wink).

I like the no pylon look.
Looks like a flyer to me.

Are folders allowed?

Tony

F1B guy...
But don't hold that against me!
DaddyO
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: December 06, 2010, 04:46:08 PM »

Thanks Tony Smiley

(The wing section is the same as on my P30 as it happens)

The only rule for CO2 in the BMFA handbook is that the tank must be 3cc or smaller Shocked

I wondered about a folding prop too (and for E30 now we have a limit on the engine run) At present I'm using a standard Modella 7 x 6" on this (and one trimmed to 6 x 6" on the E30)

I haven't really flown them enough yet to decide if this is the best prop, but they are easily available and seem to work okay. Motor run on the GM120 is @1.10 with a gentle climb to 100-120' I'd guess.

Like a lot of lightly loaded models they look terrific in lift and heart-stopping in anything else Roll Eyes

Cheers
Paul

algy
Silver Member

Kudos: 7

Australia Australia

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: December 07, 2010, 02:33:41 AM »

Hi,

It took two emails and a wait of about two weeks but I now have the latest advise, via an email, from Soda Stream Australia on the situation here in regard to possible changes to the type of gas cylinder thread being used.

In Australia there will be NO changes to the thread being used presently on the Soda Stream refill gas cylinders next year or in the foreseeable future.

That is fantastic good news for myself and other CO2 motor users in this country.

But I am still slightly puzzled about thread changes mooted after Christmas in the UK to bring them in line with the EU. Cos I use the adapter made by Derek Knight for the UK market. (BY the way he still carries all spares for those). So maybe Soda Stream will use different threads in different countries??

Stranger and stranger.

Hope that little bit of information helps any way.

Cheers

Algy
PeeTee
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: December 07, 2010, 05:18:24 AM »

Algy, our loss is your gain! It's just a bit of profiteering to the detriment of the Brits. Thanks for the info anyway - perhaps I ought to emigrate Cheesy

Paul & Tony - many of the European competitors use folding props, based on FSK plastic blades if my memory serves me correctly. The hub is made from a bit of 1/4" square brass or alu tube. Rudolf Hobinger uses a single blade folder (with a GMW 73) and wrote an article on these props for the NFFS Sympo a few years back (it had rather too much maths for my liking Huh). They are more likely to beneficial for fly-offs, as getting a 2 min motor run for the rounds shouldn't be too difficult to achieve. The longer motor run only becomes problematic if it's windy and turbulent - unfortunately this is normally the case on Salisbury Plain, and there are also the valleys of doom to contend with!

Paul, I dug out some old test results of mine on the 120, and see that I was getting between 2 and 2 1/2 mins using Gunther 7" and K&P props. From memory I ended up using the standard Modella 7" as it gave the best climb (until my model was nicked at Rissington!). Bear in mind that these were with the 120 FAI, but I reckon that you should be able to get 2 mins with a cold tank after a bit of running in.

In a similar vein, if you don't have one, I recommend getting a cheap optical tacho to check motor rpm, it's also most useful for E30 as well. I found that circa 2K rpm gave a positive climb out with both the 120 and 73, again with a 2 min motor run.

Finally, regarding the DT, do both the wing and tail pop? With a 50g model, you stand a good chance of the model not coming down if you are in lift. I've managed to lose two models with pop-up wing DTs in good lift, and am thinking that a pop up trailing edge on the wing might be a better solution. Fly off wings or tails are the last resort!

Peter
DaddyO
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: December 07, 2010, 05:39:25 AM »

Thanks for the info Peter Smiley

Yep I was forewarned about DT difficulties. 1 of the reasons I've stuck to fuse is it's easy to arrange the pop up wing and tail using the same hold down band. (Wing LE up and Tail TE pop up)

I like this DT method and you can alter the angle of descent simply too Wink

Cheers
Paul

Its a Gas

« Reply #93 on: December 26, 2010, 04:30:05 AM »

Hello,

Would anyone have any spares for the Shark / Humbrol co2 engine?

The spares I was looking for were the tanks, also the plastic cylinder head jackets.

I'd be grateful to here from anyone with these items they may wish to sell.

Thanks
Mike
DaddyO
Platinum Member

Topic starter

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: December 26, 2010, 04:49:40 AM »

Hi Mike

I've got some bits and bobs for the Telco's but no Shark stuff unfortunately (apart from a twin) If I hear of any I'll let you know

Merry Christmas
Paul

hastf1b
Gold Member

Kudos: 11

Germany Germany

Winding my Tilka during the german chamionship `87

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: December 27, 2010, 07:19:58 AM »

My old F1K-model from 1991 with Modela engine 0,27 ccm and 3 ccm tank.

Heinz

F1B is o.k.
PeeTee
Titanium Member

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: December 28, 2010, 08:21:43 AM »

Heinz

A nice looking model, but your eyesight must be better than mine as I'd not be able to keep a transparent covered model in sight Roll Eyes. Is the Modella one of the Gasparin modified versions with his cylinder and piston with the O ring?

The rule change to 2cc tanks all but killed off the use of larger motors in F1K, which is a pity. Luckily in England the tank size is still 3 cc and that's why I've built a model for the GM 300. I think I'll only get about a minute motor run, but hope for a good climb - we shall see.

Peter
hastf1b
Gold Member

Kudos: 11

Germany Germany

Winding my Tilka during the german chamionship `87

Ignore
« Reply #97 on: December 28, 2010, 09:48:14 AM »

Hello Peter, the flight time is only 120 sec. and you can see the model well.

The engine is not modified a normal Modela. I remember the engine run time was between 30 or 40 second.

I have never flown this model since the tank capacity has changed to 2 ccm.

In Germany are no contests for F1K, unfortunately.

Heinz

F1B is o.k.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: