Logo
Builders' Plan Gallery  |  Hip Pocket Web Site  |  Contact Forum Admin (Account/Technical Issues)  |  Contact Global Moderator
October 16, 2021, 05:40:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with email, password and session length

Home Help Search Login Register
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: White Lightning 1/2A  (Read 1427 times)
Sundance12
Model Airplane Builder
Global Moderator
Platinum Member

Kudos: 73

Canada Canada

Topic starter
MAAC #25680, VE4BDF (amateur radio callsign)

« on: February 02, 2008, 09:31:54 PM »

The story behind the White Lightning is pretty involved, and is important to know. For about three years preceding this design, I had been making a study of control line stunters from as many sources as possible and during this education I ended up having a number of conversations with a man named Bill Netzeband who is well known for many of his articles in any number of model magazines throughout the 60's and 70's. He was good in steering me in the proper direction in the important aspects of Stunter design and to test my understanding I made a project of enlarging the Stab on the Sig Skyray 35. Soon after this project I used much of the education in a second project called the White Lightning which was a 1/2A airplane. Much of the construction is of popular methodology but the engineering has been optimized for good performance. I have had tow other builders construct this design but I know that there are many other sets of my plans out there. It would be interesting to see how people are enjoying this airplane. For a free set of plans in PDF format can be found on the home website.
http://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/cl_sp_white_lightening.htm

Bruce

Attached files Thumbnail(s):
White Lightning 1/2A
White Lightning 1/2A

Resources and tools for scratch builders and plans builders.
www.northof49tech.com
flinger

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 04:09:05 PM »

Grin Thanks for the plans and excellent pix and right-up. I love the profile style and I am thinking of building it with shorten wings and a single wheel L/G. As for the Norvel I have a Big Mig .049 that I put a Galbreath Head and use Nelson plugs, and fitted it with a fine needle valve. This Norvel is going into an mouse racer I designed that is a miniature F2C racer, so I guess I will pick up another Norvel to use with the white lightning. I was just in the Racing forum talking about Clowns and said that I think the guys in the US should change to a little more racy looking plane as the Brits and Aussies fly Roll Eyes. Well that's my crusade and I'm stuck with it. So again thanks for the White Lightning, I've downloaded the plans and printed them using Tile Server. Wink
Sundance12
Model Airplane Builder
Global Moderator
Platinum Member

Kudos: 73

Canada Canada

Topic starter
MAAC #25680, VE4BDF (amateur radio callsign)

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 04:19:44 PM »

Hi Flinger:

You are welcome, hope you enjoy it. Please remember that the design is mathematically correct with this wing size for it's Stunt Stability. It is this way from analysis of 100 Stunter designs and is what we call a 3. The relationship of the wing and stab are designed to give a pitch turning moment ratio of three which was the numbers from many stunters from the 50's to now. Changing the wing size alters this relationship and changes the characteristics for stunt. Now if you are making it a racer, that's different... Knock yourself out but it becomes something other than a White Lightning after that. Enjoy the build and lets see what you get when you are done.

Cheers

sundance12

Resources and tools for scratch builders and plans builders.
www.northof49tech.com
robert mathison
Silver Member

Kudos: 8

United States United States

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2008, 10:49:16 AM »

Some of my 1/2A planes all with BIG MIG .061.

Bob
Re: White Lightning 1/2A

EVER DAY FLYING IS A GREAT DAY WHEN YOU ARE WITH YOUR BUDDYS .
robert mathison
Silver Member

Kudos: 8

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008, 05:45:03 PM »

This is a photo of some model's that we were flying Sunday,it was a great flying day.

Bob

EVER DAY FLYING IS A GREAT DAY WHEN YOU ARE WITH YOUR BUDDYS .
perttime
Gold Member

Kudos: 11

Finland Finland

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011, 03:28:52 PM »

... hmmmm ...
I was just browsing some old bookmarks I have saved and ran into this:

http://digilander.libero.it/ucontrol2000/U-Control-2000/GIP.htm
(full size PDF plan also available)

ring any bells?

Looks like the Italians have been using it as a sort of a Proto Speed plane.
bob werle
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2011, 01:53:54 AM »

I love my White Lightning. It has a Brodak .049 Mk II. I got me my first ever c/l trophy--2nd beginner stunt. It is a little sad with all its epoxy bandaids--broken stab, broken fus (2 pieces) broken elevater. It is together but a bit porky. I may have to go to an .061. The reason for all this praise is I am almose done with a Large Lightning, 145%. It will have a Veco .19.

White Lightnings forever
Bob
bob werle
Bronze Member

Kudos: 2

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 02:00:31 AM »

Found an early construction photo with a std w/l. The dark area on the wing is carbon tissue.

Bob
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: